Advantage Motel - Kapuskasing

sledjunk

Last Wednesday, OF7 and I headed to Kapuskasing and as the Super 8 had a hockey tournament on the weekend, I booked at the Advantage Motel on the west end of town.  This is a basic motel, so no pool or hot tub, but the rooms are clean and comfortable.  There is plenty of room to spread out gear and the rooms have typical boiler style rads (great for gloves and balaclavas) with thermostats in each room so you can set your own comfort level.  There is also an electric wall mounted heated for supplementary heat, if required.  The temperatures outside were -28 to -32 overnight and the rooms were easily warm enough.

The bathrooms are equipped with typical tub and shower combo and plenty of clean towels.

We were quite impressed with the place as it has lots of parking for trailers and Papa Franco's restaurant is next door for breakfast and dinner.

I would certainly recommend this to anyone traveling to or through Kap looking for clean, basic accommodations.

The regular rate is $69.99 / night + tax and we were given the sledders rate of $60 + tax / night.  We were single occupancy, so I don't know if it is more for more people, two beds, etc.

Here is a link to their website .  http://www.advantagemotel.com/

Great update SJ. I hadnt heard of anyone staying there. Sounds cheaper than what we paid last time @ the Apollo (no hot tub or pool either) during that stay. 

Revrnd, I saw that there was no review in your DB, so I thought we would try it.  If not good, we could switch to Apollo, so decided to 'take one for the team'.  It was very pleasant.  Warm, clean, and large rooms, with fridge and microwave.  Easily a B rating in your DB, IMO.

We stayed there in 2000 when it was the Two Bridges or something like that. It had definitely seen better days. The transports on 11 sounded like they were driving thru the parking lot LOL

Is the parking OK for trailers?

Lots of parking for trailers.  We had rooms facing the highway and it was still pretty quiet.

Thanks sj! Wondered about that place - certainly good access to trail which is right across the highway.

Related - the Apollo Motel (practically right next door) did not previously have a web site - they do now. It is:

http://www.apollomotelontario.ca/

Was there twice this year - adequate motel, warm, lots of room, fridge, microwave, plenty of parking.

I noticed on the advantage website that they also have housekeeping units.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-03-15 at 3:03 PM, revrnd said:

We stayed there in 2000 when it was the Two Bridges or something like that. It had definitely seen better days. The transports on 11 sounded like they were driving thru the parking lot LOL

Is the parking OK for trailers?

I would absolutely return to the Advantage; under their current ownership. 

5 hours ago, ontariof7 said:

I would absolutely return to the Advantage; under their current ownership. 

I wouldn't have said no either since the name change & renovation.

On 3/18/2017 at 5:37 AM, slomo said:

Thanks sj! Wondered about that place - certainly good access to trail which is right across the highway.

Related - the Apollo Motel (practically right next door) did not previously have a web site - they do now. It is:

http://www.apollomotelontario.ca/

Was there twice this year - adequate motel, warm, lots of room, fridge, microwave, plenty of parking.

Slomo was the hot tub and pool still closed?

Thanks for the update

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:53 AM, revrnd said:

Thanks for the update

No problem - guy at the Apollo knows me pretty well now - can reserve by email without credit card. Also, would probably come get me with my truck if I broke down close by. Keeps Denis007 free for Nunzio's tragic and costly rescue and repairs.....;)

• 2 weeks later...
On April 8, 2017 at 8:46 AM, slomo said:

No problem - guy at the Apollo knows me pretty well now - can reserve by email without credit card. Also, would probably come get me with my truck if I broke down close by. Keeps Denis007 free for Nunzio's tragic and costly rescue and repairs.....;)

And I have you covered for rescue for Parrysound,Sudbury,North Bay Slomo if you ever need payback!!;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2017 at 11:06 PM, SlowTouringGuy said:

Beauty Response !

Easy for you to say! In order to take advantage of HM's offer, I have to sink my sled and then borrow clothing from him! ;) (although I did learn a new trick - when soaking wet from a water immersion, roll in some snow so your clothes get a layer of ice on them for insulation)

I am reminded of that fine day almost every time I drive through Bala.  Hi-Mileage had left the seat warmers up on bust in his truck and while I'm driving it from Gravenhurst to Port Carling to pick him and his sled up, burnt my balls off because I could not find the f'ing switch to turn them off!

Friggen Chev - switch was on the door, not on the dash! What kind of a design idiot puts it there?? - covered up by the sleeve of your winter coat!! The guy who designed the seat warmers knew his stuff though - I'm driving trying to hold my ass end up with my left leg against the floor, working gas and brake with the right. Good thing it wasn't a standard.

Make a donation to Prostate Cancer drive every year since though- just in case.

9 minutes ago, slomo said:

Easy for you to say! In order to take advantage of HM's offer, I have to sink my sled and then borrow clothing from him! ;) (although I did learn a new trick - when soaking wet from a water immersion, roll in some snow so your clothes get a layer of ice on them for insulation)

I am reminded of that fine day almost every time I drive through Bala.  Hi-Mileage had left the seat warmers up on bust in his truck and while I'm driving it from Gravenhurst to Port Carling to pick him and his sled up, burnt my balls off because I could not find the f'ing switch to turn them off!

Friggen Chev - switch was on the door, not on the dash! What kind of a design idiot puts it there?? - covered up by the sleeve of your winter coat!! The guy who designed the seat warmers knew his stuff though - I'm driving trying to hold my ass end up with my left leg against the floor, working gas and brake with the right. Good thing it wasn't a standard.

Make a donation to Prostate Cancer drive every year since though- just in case.

You sparked some good memories about switches. I recall driving a friends car over an hour in the pouring rain. I don't recall what model of Chrysler product it was. Who the heck puts the switches for the window in the middle of the dash board?

Typical 4 door pickup has the lock out for the power windows so the kids in the rear seat can't play with them. We are driving along Sauble Beach with another couple, women in the back together and guys in the front. My wife tells me the rear window beside her isn't working, she's been trying it and it won't go down. Do I have it locked out? It's the middle of summer. A short time later she tells me her butt is on fire. She didn't know the rear seats were heated and she was using the button for the heated seats thinking it was for the windows.

• 3 months later...
On April 30, 2017 at 5:48 PM, 02Sled said:

You sparked some good memories about switches. I recall driving a friends car over an hour in the pouring rain. I don't recall what model of Chrysler product it was. Who the heck puts the switches for the window in the middle of the dash board?

Typical 4 door pickup has the lock out for the power windows so the kids in the rear seat can't play with them. We are driving along Sauble Beach with another couple, women in the back together and guys in the front. My wife tells me the rear window beside her isn't working, she's been trying it and it won't go down. Do I have it locked out? It's the middle of summer. A short time later she tells me her butt is on fire. She didn't know the rear seats were heated and she was using the button for the heated seats thinking it was for the windows.

Our jeep is that way to, switches in middle of arm rest console between passenger and driver seats. I remember borrowing it to go to Michigian. When I pull up to security guard, couldn't find the window switch, that was comical. So I remember cracking the door open and claiming window didn't roll down. 

Best thing you can do while in control of the windows and full of buddies is let out a chili ripper and lock out the windows.

• 6 months later...

For our 2018 Kap' Adventure the group stayed @ the Advantage. Everyone was satisfied w/ the rooms. Only 2 small issues, no boxes of Kleenex or hair dryers (not an issue if you aren't headed outside @ 7:30 AM when it's -28*). 

20180317_202103.thumb.jpg.9c5edeb018c870aeaf4b5ce63e58094b.jpg20180317_202134.thumb.jpg.43382e146fb352791823f2a46018a442.jpg20180317_202143.thumb.jpg.c6337f7347e2ee0f21695c68f55fcac9.jpg20180317_202202.thumb.jpg.ce9b9d5035a81c77ed1dc7ecbb5e1e3c.jpg20180317_202222.thumb.jpg.c94a6ae77162e3ae61a43a1a35ea9c03.jpg20180317_202241.thumb.jpg.22d2ed63db9bd0c7b985e7112d0bd3a6.jpg20180318_092142.thumb.jpg.d6a4ac8a80b573adba4803ff24f6e8c0.jpg

Archived