Cochrane bound this weekend - Westway Motel

Carm

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I was getting tempted to go for one last ride this year having looked at the green on the ITG around Cochrane and reading the comments here. I'm not quite as enthused after realizing it's a little over 7 hours behind the wheel to get there.... I'll keep contemplating and see if I can convince my wife to go.

It's not the destination, it's the journey. She would like the Super 8 in Kap. Try to get room 107 or 109. Ask for sledder rate.

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I was getting tempted to go for one last ride this year having looked at the green on the ITG around Cochrane and reading the comments here. I'm not quite as enthused after realizing it's a little over 7 hours behind the wheel to get there.... I'll keep contemplating and see if I can convince my wife to go.

Its worth the drive!!!  Agree with slomo the super 8 is great.

X3.  Heading up Wed night for a long weekend.  Now returning Tuesday :woot:

7 hours ago, slomo said:

It's not the destination, it's the journey. She would like the Super 8 in Kap. Try to get room 107 or 109. Ask for sledder rate.

5 hours ago, gobills said:

Its worth the drive!!!  Agree with slomo the super 8 is great.

pretty sure kap has hockey tourney this coming wk-end,tuff to get rooms

Advantage Motel is good for a guys sledding weekend.  No fancy stuff like pool and hot tub, though.  Not sure I'd recommend it for the wife, though.

32 minutes ago, gobills said:

I'm sensing a record year coming on:icon_clapclap:

I'm certainly hoping for it.  Would be nice in light of the poor winter we had.

Here are some pics from the weekend. Big thank you to Brian at the Westway Motel and Mike at the Abitibi Canyon Base Camp. I had the pleasure of spending some time with both of these fine gentlemen this weekend and receiving their incredible hospitality.

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

9 hours ago, Carm said:

Here are some pics from the weekend. Big thank you to Brian at the Westway Motel and Mike at the Abitibi Canyon Base Camp. I had the pleasure of spending some time with both of these fine gentlemen this weekend and receiving their incredible hospitality

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

Nice pics.  Particularly of the Apex.  Too bad there is always a Ski-Doo photo bombing it :lol:

Need an explanation of these two, though!  Looks like couldn't decide right or left so went straight.  BTDT :oops:  Not as deep though.

Have a great weekend guys!! Sorry we can't make it up there, Looks like the Hornepayne club have shut their trails down and the Kap club is having some water issues and posted on their FB page they may be closing down trails soon.

I will share any updates if I hear anything.

Nunz

Kap Sno-Rovers

Yesterday at 12:12am ·

Update on our trails in Kapuskasing. With this warm weather, we are having issues with water on the trails. The " A " trail along highway 11, has water completely across the trail. Other trails also has water , especially where there are small creeks and beaver dams. Should this warm weather persist , we will have to close our trails due to very unsafe condition. Please drive carefully, slow down and enjoy your ride

9 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Nice pics.  Particularly of the Apex.  Too bad there is always a Ski-Doo photo bombing it :lol:

Need an explanation of these two, though!  Looks like couldn't decide right or left so went straight.  BTDT :oops:  Not as deep though.

He realized it was a right hander at the last second and not a continuation of the long straight away. He went for it and failed miserably, lol picture doesn't do it justice we were in waste deep trying to get it out... 

8 hours ago, Nunz said:

Have a great weekend guys!! Sorry we can't make it up there, Looks like the Hornepayne club have shut their trails down and the Kap club is having some water issues and posted on their FB page they may be closing down trails soon.

I will share any updates if I hear anything.

Nunz

Kap Sno-Rovers

Yesterday at 12:12am ·

Update on our trails in Kapuskasing. With this warm weather, we are having issues with water on the trails. The " A " trail along highway 11, has water completely across the trail. Other trails also has water , especially where there are small creeks and beaver dams. Should this warm weather persist , we will have to close our trails due to very unsafe condition. Please drive carefully, slow down and enjoy your ride

When we left this morning there was 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground. Fingers crossed it holds up and they get more. Hoping to ride in April, may have to head to Gaspe or LSJ. 

Plans have changed.  We are now booked at Westway from Thursday to Tuesday.

23 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Plans have changed.  We are now booked at Westway from Thursday to Tuesday.

Say hello to the owner Brian for me. And if you are heading up to the canyon say hello to Mike.

Will do!

Will do!

Just thought you should all be aware, this from the Kap Sno-Rovers FB page, minutes ago.

Kap Sno-Rovers  1 min · 

Update on our trails in Kapuskasing. Most of our trails are in fair shape except the " A " trail along highway 11. It has some water , mud, sand and ice for approximately four ( 4 ) kms. We will try to keep our trails open for this weekend, but they will be closed as of Monday March 27/ 2017 or sooner. Keep an eye on the inter active trail map for any upcoming information on the closures. Thanks. Slow down , ride safe and enjoy your ride.

Thanks Denis.  We had an inkling that might happen and therefore moved to Cochrane.  Good to know, though, seeing as I am not on FB.

29 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

You may see my youngest son and his buddy up there this weekend. Just a little guy(340 lbs) on a 2010 Cat 800 with a 141 x 2.5 inch paddle track. His buddy is on an 800 Polaris Switchback 144.

We'll look for him.

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2017 at 4:47 PM, Nunz said:

We just back from our last ride of the season in Cochrane......................One stop at Thornloe's Cheese for a pit stop as well as it will be a long summer as we wait to come back next summer.

Turns out they won an award for their butter as well.....might want to keep in mind for your planning this year.....

Article - " I can't believe it's northern Ontario butter! Thornloe's grass-fed butter wins top prize at winter fair"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/thronloe-butter-award-1.4908709

thornloe-butter.JPG.7b72a254a063e98364d38e784099e0f0.JPG

Grass fed? Aren't they all? (except winter on corn silage)

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

If I'm reading this right, snow prancing soon?

Was not aware of the health benefits!

"Cows who don’t get to live the grass fed life are stuck chowing down on commercial feed...."

Thanks Blake!

Not only that, there seems to be lessons in human employee management attached to the premise:

1440935089_contentedcows.jpg.1cd5f4b4a1f933c444194d85e722962d.jpg

Contented Cows Still Give Better Milk, Revised and Expanded: The Plain Truth about Employee Engagement and Your Bottom Line

Seeing the video reminds me of the spring time branding parties held in the Canadian west - it has since occured to me that separating the new calves from their mothers at these was easier than trying to separate kids from their cell phones....

Speaking of cheese - don't forget

http://fromageriekapuskoise.ca/

in the Kap if you are there this year. No butter there though.

MOO out.

Archived