GOOD TRAILS: Kearney and Sand Lake - March 10th, 2017

Blake G

I unloaded at Rickward's to check the Almaguin trails. Photos and a brief report below:.

Intersection of D and AL300.

2017-03-10 11.57.10.jpg

I was out yesterday.Rode from Sand Lake to the legion for lunch. Trails were icy and hard but still pretty good considering all the recent rain. With a few inches of fresh snow they would be really good again.  Lots of little pieces of trees on the trail from the high winds we had.Had to pull two small tree limbs off the trail but that was it. 

I checked out this area today. Good spring sledding here, if you don't want to drive further north.

2017-03-10 14.47.56.png

Unloaded at Rickward's Polaris. Always generous of them to encourage use of their two lots for sledder parking. Here's the view today from beside the Rickward's shop:

2017-03-10 14.48.32.jpg

D123 and AL300 Series trail conditions were quite good today, but there were hundreds of twigs and small branches knocked down by the wind. Also a few larger pieces, such as the one in this picture.

2017-03-10 14.49.13.jpg

Easy enough to move, with buttertart power.

2017-03-10 14.49.54.jpg

D123 and Al300 were very good. Sure, more snow would be nice, but the hard base is quite smooth, with base thickness ranging between 8 and 30 inches in most places. D southbound was rougher, from AL300 down to AL 303, as it doesn't appear to have been groomed since the presumably heavy traffic last weekend. Still easily navigable at a reasonable speed. There was a large tree across the trail about 1.2 kms north of this photo (Forestry Tower Road), but it was possible to drive around the obstacle by going slightly off the trail.

2017-03-10 14.51.05.jpg

Arrived at Edgewater for lunch. Desolate looking place when I first got there, but several sledders showed up while I enjoyed my awesome Edgewater Burger and fries. Apparently the place has some vacancies right now and next week. Give them a call if you're looking for somewhere to stay without driving several hours north. Martin's food is delicious.

2017-03-10 14.52.24.jpg

D southbound from AL303 (Sand Lake / Edgewater cut off) was groomed today, down past the AL301 Ice Caves intersection, and as far as Highland Rovers Territory.

AlBoK was asking about conditions to the Kearney Ice Caves trail.

This afternoon:

Between 9 and noon I encountered sledders only once. Not good to be out alone, but I thought there would be more people out and about. Traffic increased after lunch.

Three groomer out all day today will be out again tomorrow we have ample snow to groom just really icy and hard cant groom at night to dangerous due to ice, Please watch for branches and small washouts etc. still on the trail lots of twigs etc even after we groom

Thank you, Trail Groomer. I always enjoy your trails!

If anyone wants to get out for a spin tomorrow (Sunday), I'm planning to leave Rickward's at 10 a.m. I might be riding two up with a co-pilot. Likely hit Edgewater for lunch

Some folks have asked me about conditions in the Kearney area.

Moose Laker and I rode 200 kms today, out of the Exit 244 (Emsdale) Visitors Centre. Spring riding within an hour of home.

The clubs are doing what they can in the way of grooming, but it can't be easy. The trail base is intact for the most part, but it's rock hard and lacks recent snow. Each day I ride the area, the trails get a little thinner and icier. Glad I had studs and scratchers today.

The attached map is my rating of trail sections, on a scale of 1 to 10. A rating of 5 suggests the trail is enjoyable, with careful riding at reduced speed. 4 suggests you will need to "grit your teeth" and persevere, as you make your way to happier sections.

20170314 Sand Lake.jpg

Parking allowed at  Emsdale visitor centre? Last time I was there signs posted  saying no trailer parking. How was the trail from there to Sprucedale, thinking of heading up Saturday.

Sledders park there routinely without issue.

See previous post for trail conditions as of Tuesday evening. Should be a bit better on the seguin now, as there's a good base which was very hard when the temps were lower.

OF7 may have an update, as he was planning to ride the area today.

Right now, I plan to right the area Saturday but plans keep adjusting based on the latest trail conditions and news.   Thanks for the map with the Tuesday trail conditions Blake.

Archived