Hello Sledheads

SRXChris

MY name is Chris, recently bought a used 2001 SRX to get back into sledding.  Just saying hello and hoping to meet some Yamaha experts to offer advice and experience when dealing with these sleds.  

Welcome to the forum Chris. Lots of information and good people to get it from on here. It's obvious you are very very intelligent given your choice of sled make. Beware of advice from the chickens!

Welcome to the forum Chris. As for dealing with a Yamaha sled.... sell it and get a real one. :D Just kidding. I don't really know much about the Yamaha sleds however our Cat sleds do have Yamaha engines in them. I think Sledjunk is probably one of the better sources of info on them.

Welcome ! Won't hold the Yamaha thing against you. :)

Welcome to the party! 

Don't mind the dope replies above, cause there's a really simple way to determine best or worst sled. ...

Worst one is the one that broke, and is being towed by the best one .... no matter what brand either is .... :)  

3 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Welcome to the party! 

Don't mind the dope replies above, cause there's a really simple way to determine best or worst sled. ...

Worst one is the one that broke, and is being towed by the best one .... no matter what brand either is .... :)  

Well said :-)

Welcome to the forum Chris.  That red head engine is pretty reliable.

On 3/7/2017 at 11:28 PM, sledjunk said:

Well said :-)

Welcome to the forum Chris.  That red head engine is pretty reliable.

The SRX has blue heads..:rolleyes:.power valves should be checked and cleaned each season. Great sleds the Srx !

welcome Chris, the 00-02 srx is a good sled if well kept. as stated above, this is the blue headed powervalve motor, and a good one. it was one of the best sleds I ever owned.

another good source of info for srx, and all things Yamaha snowmobiles is, www.totallyamaha.com they have a 2 stroke, and 4 stroke portion of the site. the tech pages have good, tips, fixes, mods, and how to's.

check the jackshaft bearings, the drive shaft bearings, and the wheel bearings, as well and the clutch rollers, and sliders on the primary and secondary (replace as required, maybe next season pre riding replace them all for peace of mind).

clean the powervalves every 500-1000 miles to help prevent sticking. run a good oil to avoid gumming, and sticking. monitor the oil useage, and turn the pump up or down to get and keep good clean powervalves, and enough lube to keep the lower end happy. if they stick and pull the cable through the end, they are expensive to replace, if you cant "fix" them.

enjoy! Ski

LOL.

Thanks for the replies and and advice.  

Archived