Sudbury Trails

soupkids

I'm sad to report that the trails around here suck.

Worst I have seen in years, almost unridable.

I would recommend everyone stay home

Have a look at the pictures and judge for your self.

Of course I'm kidding, trails are fantastic.

I had a check your shorts moment this morning.

Was enjoying first tracks on a perfectly groomed trail and around a corner was  bullwinkle, I was so close he was kicking up snow on the hood of my machine.

You might be able to see him in the last picture

20170305_091122.jpg

20170305_091115.jpg

20170305_090343.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice trails

Wow Soupkids them are some nice trails to ride:-D

enjoyed the pics of the nice trails

Enjoy

Zrtkat

I think you've made my mind up. 

Now just wondering to go up tomorrow and risk the warm weather and rain on Tuesday, or wait until Tuesday to leave. 

10 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I'm booking a room tomorrow up there. Any recommendations? Hoping for next Sunday to Wednesday.

I just got back a few hours ago from Sudbury. Had a great time. We stayed at the Moonlight Inn. Right at the trail and lots of places nearby to eat. 355 Moonlight Rd... good rooms, good rates.

2 hours ago, Shawnd2 said:

I think you've made my mind up. 

Now just wondering to go up tomorrow and risk the warm weather and rain on Tuesday, or wait until Tuesday to leave. 

I would wait till Tuesday.

I'm sure the trails will survive fine

I plan on riding most of the week with my son who is on study week.

I plan on doing the wolf and Cartier loops for sure with maybe a day trip north for lunch someplace.

Could someone tell me what services are out Windy Lake way ? A few weeks ago on a Saturday morning went to Rockies for breakfast along with 30 or so other sledders only to find it does not open till 11 . ls that their normal start time for the restaurant? 

I get envious of you living there with trails like that out your back door. We hope to be up there a week from Tuesday. Till then enjoy them for us and keep posting some pictures.

Out windy lake way you have the motel and a resteraunt in Cartier as well as fairbanks resort on fairbanks lake.

If you stay around the east side of town (moonlight or chateau guy)  there are a lot more choices of eateries within 10 minutes of the hotel and if the trail between the hotels and garson blows a gasket  it's a short trailer ride to the STP yard in garson.

11 minutes ago, Yamatario said:

I get envious of you living there with trails like that out your back door. We hope to be up there a week from Tuesday. Till then enjoy them for us and keep posting some pictures.

Back door is right.

I leave from my yard 99 % of he time.

4 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Back door is right.

I leave from my yard 99 % of he time.

My back door has a trail also but it was open for only 2 days this year. Maybe next year.

Thanks Soup,Hoping weather stays cold want to get one more ride in up your way.

hey wondering if Sudbury is good place for day tripping out of. like leaving 9 or 10 and being back to motel by 5-6, not scared of 250km or more a day.

Supposed to warm up today and tomorrow but the back below 0 again

For anybody coming up this way download the emergency contacts list and I'm on it.

I'm up for a ride just about anytime.

All I can say is WOW! Thanks to the STP! Here I thought I was done riding for the season a couple of weeks ago. Then a friend of mine convinces me to trailer to Sudbury. I've never had to go quite that far to ride before but I'm sure glad I did. He made all the plans. All I had to do was drive and ride. A bit nippy on Saturday morning. -25 according to the temp on the dash of the truck. We wanted to ride and then check in but a phone call to the Inn and we found that the room had been vacated and cleaned early so we were able to get in as soon as we arrived. It helped for getting dressed when it was that cold outside. -25 is my limit for riding. I tried -29 once and we lasted just over an hour staying to the trees and not going too fast. The wind chill on the lakes was unbearable.

I've heard about potential cold starting problems with the Yamaha engines. My Cat ZR7000 has the Yamaha engine so this would be a good test. Passed with flying colours starting up right away.

Just as we were about to head out and ride the people in the next room were about to do the same. They apparently know the area trails very well. They spend a couple of weeks a season riding the area. With an offer to ride with them as guides we headed out for the day. We had a tentative plan depending on trail conditions, traveling speed and temperature comfort.

Capture2.JPG.f6bd9283f00a21c020c9923c26abe747.JPG

We figured if things were tough going we could take one of the alternative trails that would shorten the ride. I think we stayed to the original plan. With the neighbours as "guides" I just followed. The ITG showed about 152 km. but my trip meter showed about 170 km. We did make a wrong turn along the way and had to double back to get on track. With most of the more southern trails closed it was a very pleasant surprise. The cold temperatures meant no slush on any of the ice although somewhat rough where the slush tracks had refrozen. A couple of spots with a little bit of water across the trail but they were narrow and shallow and absolutely nothing to be concerned about. For the most part AMAZING.

Back to the Inn for a nice long warm up shower and get ready for dinner. The rooms weren't fancy but very clean and comfortable... most of all warm. Off to a great steak dinner and back to the room to relax and get a good night sleep. It had been a long day for an old guy like me. I will chalk it up to the new back brace that my back survived just fine without any aches or pains.

Next morning we were going to do a bit shorter trip knowing we had the drive home ahead of us. We did some of the same trails however the first time we went clockwise this time counter clockwise which gives you a whole different perspective.

Captures.JPG.4eafc5415cfd43deaff1466e4cfd02e7.JPG

Definitely worth the trip north. It's going to be a repeat for next season and we will go when mother nature creates "ideal" conditions. If they were Wow at this time of year in this type of year I can only imagine what they will be like in an "ideal" season.

Where did you stay ?

BP

22 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Where did you stay ?

BP

Sorry... I thought I had included that... Moonlight Inn.

Thanks, 02, for the report.

20 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Thanks, 02, for the report.

x2. 

Love the Sudbury trails.

Great report 02, Glad to see you getting out there and putting some miles on your almost new sleds..

can you guys give us some tips for places to get fuel and eat on both loops?

heading up thurs night with 4 other guys.. staying at the Chateau..

Sportsman's Lodge for fuel. On the first day which was about 170 km their having fuel was a big plus. It's on Kukagami Lake. They say that the dining room and meal service is only available to registered guests but we were able to persuade them to help us out. For a while I thought we would end up hungry.  It did take some effort so I wouldn't count on it. Call me cheap but their room rates are a little steep in my mind. $120 per night per person. $110 per person per night for 2+ nights. There are places in Capreol but our tour guide for the day said we weren't that close and he anticipated some significant road rash. Second day after having a large steak dinner the night before and a large breakfast before setting out that morning we skipped lunch. We had a trail side snack since it was warmer on the second day. The Moonlight Inn has a small breakfast bar with bagels, cereal, toast and fruit etc. which allowed us to have something to take on the trail.

Captureg.JPG.c9ca62670170397d827cf95e00cff9f5.JPG

The restaurant at the chateau is really good.

I try not to patronize rockys for a few reasons, won't get into it here, but I do buy gas from them.

You can gas at sportsman's, Rockies, caproel, Hanmer and val caron,also bobs petro can near both hotels.

A little bit of local knowledge helps with some of the fuel stops.

If anybody heading up has questions, pm me please.

Archived