Sudbury Trails

soupkids

41 minutes ago, soupkids said:

I did run across a quad in garson today and I fully let him have it both barrels.

I'm pretty sure I used all of my vocabulary of swear words on him and maybe a few new ones.

He kept calling me Sir, I figure he had at least 10 years on me.

Here is a couple of pictures on trail 83 today.

This one is dam near dead center of Lake whanapitie

20170312_150654.jpg

20170312_150648.jpg

20170312_133524.jpg

Soupkids.   Great trail report and pictures.  We are thinking of coming to Sudbury next weekend.   Would you recommend the sportsman lodge or somewhere else for a base.  If you don't mind I will check with you later in the week on your thoughts and the conditions

T

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Ok so I lied about the chilly part. Not so bad in the trails but temp definitely got your attention smoking across the lakes. 

Mint see you tomorrow am, might still be in at breakie. :)

I'm sure I can con George into breakfast

Rode out from STP this morning, round wolf mountain and put on a couple hundred clicks. The trails were in pretty good shape. We need some snow! The little creeks on the side of the trails require your attention and narrow the trails a little. I wish I had scratchers installed like the sled I saw at the Sportsman (under the running boards.) Everything NE of Sudbury was great but NW of Sudbury was rocky and icy. There was even a small amount of loose snow on the lakes. Thanks Kevin for the green light. We (4 sleds) had a great day. Stay NE! 

Things were pretty good up there.  First time riding in the area and will definitely be back next year.  Could have done without the hour we spent digging out a guy on the trail just south of 78 on C206D thou.  He was MILES away from any road..  proudly said he was plotting GPS coordinates for a scavenger hunt....  thank god no one came around a corner when he was driving down the trail...idiots...

image3.JPG

IMG_6505.JPG

image4 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6480 - Copy.JPG

image1 - Copy.JPG

Glad you had a great time... nice pics.... and just more proof that you can't fix stupid.

My wife and I are are booked at the sportsman lodge for 3 nights. Be up before dinner on Thursday. We have never been up that far sledding so I'm pretty pumped. Any one else from oc there next weekend?

50 minutes ago, Bearman said:

My wife and I are are booked at the sportsman lodge for 3 nights. Be up before dinner on Thursday. We have never been up that far sledding so I'm pretty pumped. Any one else from oc there next weekend?

My buddy & I will be arriving at the Sportsman Thursday morning. We are booked in the Main Lodge Thursday, Friday, Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

You up there this coming wknd or the wknd of the 25th? 

Not going to make riding Tuesday Rick.

Hope you have a good ride.

Could anyone tell me if the water crossing on the D trail going through Azilda towards Chemmy is ok? We are staying at the valley inn which basically across the road from this crossing. This section is showing red, I'm assuming this is the reason.

This section is ŕed because there is more dirt than snow.

I came across it yesterday knowing what it would be like and still regret doing it but didn't have much of a choice.

Did it change from 2 weekends ago? We were on it March 4th and we fine. Well at least its a short distance. The valley inn is more central to where we want to ride, we stayed at the moonlight inn but is a bit of a ride over compared to the valley inn. Thanks for response, it gives me a heads up as to what to expect.

Honestly trailer to a staging area and enjoy the ride.

Staying at the Sportsman starting tomorrow for a few days.. any idea how the trail is up to Shining Tree? I see some of the area has some Yellow on the map. How are the lakes? Glare Ice or some snow on top?

Any info would be great. Thanks.

Yes lakes are all ice but surface has been broken up enough by sled traffic n studs that lube n cooling was a zero issue (studded with no scratchers). Never ventured that far up but everything below is in pretty darn good shape. Portages across lakes in n out of the Lodge are whooped out pretty good but it's not a huge distance so all is well.

Trail to shining tree is perfect.

Was hoping for a trip up to Sudbury as well, but now the trail to Moonlight and CG (D111) is closed, so will have to make other plans.  I am not interested in trailering each day to and from the hotel (from and to?) to ride.  Too bad there aren't any accommodations available on the northern outskirts (Capreol, Hanmer, etc).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Was thinking shinning tree Friday ride and the loop around wolf lookout Saturday. Might be tight for fuel to go to shinning tree. We both ride 2016 zr 8000s mine is the green one hers is all black give a wave if yas see us.

18 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Was thinking shinning tree Friday ride and the loop around wolf lookout Saturday. Might be tight for fuel to go to shinning tree. We both ride 2016 zr 8000s mine is the green one hers is all black give a wave if yas see us.

Will do - I'm on a Black Nytro with red/yellow flames and my buddy is on a Red/Black Pro R 800. We will probably do the wolf loop tomorrow when we arrive and Shinning Tree on Friday. 

31 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Trail to shining tree is perfect.

Thanks for all the info - It's been a lot of help in planning this ride.  Do you know approx how many KM from Sportsman to Shinning Tree? Just don't want to run out of fuel.

Thank you!

Archived