New liskeard

Akronsnow

Was hoping to drive up to new liskeard next weekend but I saw in another post it looks to be un rideable ? The pic I saw was from the road but are the trails shot too ? What to do ?? 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Liskeard was in serious need of snow when we drove thru on our way home from Cochrane on Friday. May be better in the bush, but the farm fields look like tough sledding

FWIW, I saw on FB that the Temiskaming Shores weekly club ride has been changed for this coming Tuesday, and now involves trailering north toward KL before hopping on the sleds.

I am heading up Wednesday night, hoped to start in Liskeard but pretty sure we will be pushing on to Kirkland Lake.  IQ's pictures yesterday helped confirm that one.

Some of us are desperate for a ride and Cochrane is just too far to fit with other obligations. My daughter is in that predicament, so I am hoping to take her to K Lake Wednesday night, sled Thursday and Friday and drive home Saturday for her son's hockey Saturday PM in Dundas. That is likely to be her only sledding on the last two year's insurance and trail passes. I told her to forget about anything south of there.

The wife and I did the KL to Larder Lake run on A110Q then back to KL via Boston Creek on A109 and A108 yesterday and all but the last 10km was stellar.  The last 10km just south of KL on A108 is never great but it was still very rideable.  Did KL to Ramore for a late lunch today via A108 then back down the A trail & A110Q and all but a few kms were in great shape.  The bad stuff near Ramore was being groomed when we met him on our way back, he was going north on his way to Matheson.

We'll sit out tomorrow's warm temps but will be out again to finish off the rest our week off.

Any idea about north of Matheson towards A111C? Still shows limited.

9 minutes ago, 14 snow said:

Jackpine Snowmobile Club (Iroquois Falls Ontario) Facebook page shows they groomed A111C on the 24th.  Maybe they don't have time to update with the 10 to 15cm of new snow they have to groom. :)

40 minutes ago, 14 snow said:

I had another look at their FB page and it looks like Timmins groomed to Val Gagne.  I think the Jackpine club is supposed to groom down to Matheson since the Matheson club folded but I'm not sure.  Maybe message both Iroquois Falls and Timmins clubs to find out.  Kirkland Lake now grooms to Matheson.

I got this reply just now from Iroquois Falls club regarding the yellow trail north of Matheson:

"We have contacted TATA to have it changed. This may have been changed due to the logging on 4.8 km of the trail and no one changed it back. There is still some activity but is passable. We have been grooming from Iroquois Falls to Matheson once a week. Timmins groomed all the way to Matheson Last Friday. We were scheduled today but we postponed till tomorrow because of the warm weather. Hope this helps"

1 hour ago, Ultrafrozen said:

I got this reply just now from Iroquois Falls club regarding the yellow trail north of Matheson:

"We have contacted TATA to have it changed. This may have been changed due to the logging on 4.8 km of the trail and no one changed it back. There is still some activity but is passable. We have been grooming from Iroquois Falls to Matheson once a week. Timmins groomed all the way to Matheson Last Friday. We were scheduled today but we postponed till tomorrow because of the warm weather. Hope this helps"

Awesome. We will be up late next Thursday night then heading to Cochrane for Friday and Saturday.

3 hours ago, Ultrafrozen said:

Thanks!  I exchange messaged with IF last night. Should be perfect when I ride it on Thursday. :)

Thanks Ultrafrozen for all of the updated info. I can't wait to see winter again. I still hope to reach KL tomorrow night, but weather and road conditions may cause a rethink with an overnight stay in North Bay and finish the drive Thursday AM. Anybody that meets up with an old father/daughter team on 2017 Blizzard and 2006 MXZ-X, say "Hi". Unfortunately we have no idea where will head from KL.

I'm in New Liskeard now and its been raining and still raining.  very little snow left.  I don't know about north of here, but you sure want to drive further than this.  I'm here for work, not play and heading home in the morning, but it sure is depressing.  Weather alerts for snow starting early morning thorough tomorrow, so that sure can't hurt.

It rained lightly for a couple hours in KL this afternoon and turned to snow around 5:30pm and it's still snowing.  The wife dressed in white/pink camo and I in black each ride black Yamaha Vectors and mine has an Ontario Conditions sticker on the windshield.  I stop and talk at a wave so don't hesitate to wave us down if we run into each other on the KL trails this week.

2 hours ago, tricky said:

Thanks Ultrafrozen for all of the updated info. I can't wait to see winter again. I still hope to reach KL tomorrow night, but weather and road conditions may cause a rethink with an overnight stay in North Bay and finish the drive Thursday AM. Anybody that meets up with an old father/daughter team on 2017 Blizzard and 2006 MXZ-X, say "Hi". Unfortunately we have no idea where will head from KL.

If you're looking for trip suggestions, head north to Ramore (Rolly's Restaurant) for lunch right on the A trail for a 150km trip or continue to Matheson for a 200km run.  I suggest taking A108 north then come back on A trail/A110Q or vice versa.  Gas at MacPherson's General store north of the A110Q & A trail intersection or up in Matheson on trail.

A shorter 100km loop would take you to Larder Lake on A110Q then back via A109 to Boston Creek and back on A108.  Gas and Muddy Moose Restaurant in Larder Lake via a little road running if required.  You can extend it by heading out to the Quebec border across Larder Lake itself.

At this time, I can't recommend going south to Englehart or Elk Lake without getting any reports from that area as I haven't travelled it lately but I'm guessing the rain may thin out a lot of the trails closer to New Liskeard.  If you really want to head south, an Englehart, Earlton, Elk Lake run is Epic even in marginal snow conditions.  This loop can be modified in many ways by cutting through Charlton, L161 or L162.  Be ready for some road running.

Thanks again Ultra. A lot will depend on how far the drive takes us tomorrow night. If there is enough new snow, we might be interested in the Earlton/ Elk Lake run. I will be on the look out for you wherever I go.

13 hours ago, tricky said:

Thanks again Ultra. A lot will depend on how far the drive takes us tomorrow night. If there is enough new snow, we might be interested in the Earlton/ Elk Lake run. I will be on the look out for you wherever I go.

Sounds like we are on a similar plan.  5 of us are heading to Kirkland Lake tonight, hopefully the drive isn't too bad.

From New Liskeard's FB page (Tri-Town Sno Travellers):

"We changed the status of all Tri-Town Sno Traveller trails to 'closed' as of this morning. We have a meeting tonight and will discuss the possibility of reopening after tonight's snow (if it comes as forecast). The problem is that there is rain in next week's forecast."

I heard it was a "snow day" today due to the rain freezing and making sideroads dangerous.  The highways are typically in good condition because they salt and sand and the traffic helps melt the ice quickly.  Have a safe drive up.

Roads in Sudbury currently sucks a$$

New Liskeard to Sudbury Drive really sucked. Coming down hard and should end up with 8" or so. I still wouldn't stop in new liskeard. Go to Kirkland but I wouldn't recommend the. Drive tonight it's not good out there

Archived