Snowmobile lift

Bigdaddy63250

I was wondering if sleds are better stored in off season on one of these stands.  Or are they primarily for working on the sleds.  

I'm looking for 2 lifts.  I found at princess auto for $180.  But they are sold out everywhere and not sure if any back until next season.  Royal has them as well but your close to $300.  

What are your thoughts or how do majority of you guys store your sleds.

Thx much appreciated 

I like my P.A. lift, much easier on the back for any maintenance, and made my track swap possible.

I store it under my sled in the off season, but not lifted up.

Our sleds stay on the trailer but I lift the back end taking the weight off the track. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'll throw it out there again. Four stroke sleds. Obviously oil change and filter, fuel stabilizer and grease what needs to be greased. Some people it seems like to leave the battery connected and start the sled up every few weeks waiting until it gets to operating temp and then shut it down. Others seem to like taking the steps above but disconnecting the battery and just leaving the sled in storage until the following season. Is there a distinct benefit of one over the other. I'd be interested in peoples perspectives.

When I had my 4-stroker I just stabilized the fuel. Greased everything. Removed the battery. Gave it a bath.

Left on trailer till fall. 

Never any issues following season.

24 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

When I had my 4-stroker I just stabilized the fuel. Greased everything. Removed the battery. Gave it a bath.

Left on trailer till fall. 

Never any issues following season.

That's what I did with my old 4 stroke and it was fine but I am hearing of a few people that start them up and run them.

31 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

That's what I did with my old 4 stroke and it was fine but I am hearing of a few people that start them up and run them.

My understanding is these engines are designed to sit for extended periods without causing damage when started.

Someone else might have more up to date info. 

I'm sure you doing the right things

22 hours ago, Bigdaddy63250 said:

I was wondering if sleds are better stored in off season on one of these stands.  Or are they primarily for working on the sleds.  

I'm looking for 2 lifts.  I found at princess auto for $180.  But they are sold out everywhere and not sure if any back until next season.  Royal has them as well but your close to $300.  

What are your thoughts or how do majority of you guys store your sleds.

Thx much appreciated 

I store mine on the stand, that way the weight is off all of the suspension. I pull the battery, and once a month I rotate the belt on the secondary/primary.

Speaking from my aircraft jet engine technician hat, changing the oil, fuel stabilizer (let the engine run to ensure the stab gets everywhere) and greasing the sled (see the water squirt out most often), pull the belt off and if possible lay flat somewhere it wont get hot (shed) or exposed to the sun (easy to measure the width for wear now). Clean the clutch sheeves, and inspect all the wheels; any other small maintenance the owners manual tells you to do. I like to lift the back end up, but that puts more pressure on the front springs - toss up to me.

Battery: After year 2 (I think the battery ran down over the summer storage) the battery didn't start the sled on the cold mornings (anything greater than -24). This year I had to install a new battery. Going forward I will either pull the battery so that I can leave it on a battery tender, or I will set a schedule to start the sled every month, to charge the battery up (no power to the barn where the trailer sits to leave a tender on it).

To the original question: starting every month (called short term storage with aircraft) enables the fluids to move and lubricate seals (some are carbon on aircraft - have to stay wet) - and yes, let it run until the exhaust is hot and has evaporated as much excess water in the exhaust system as possible. 4 strokes - same as a car - can sit for months - especially in the summer as you don't generally have major temp swings which cause the block to condense possibly inside and out.

Note to the guys that simply drain the fuel and don't stabilize, I cant tell you how often I've seen that practice be a problem with gas mold, or thickened gas in any motor.

Caveat: This is all my opinion and you should treat it as an opinion. Follow your OEM manual and then do what makes the most sense to you, since you foot the bill for what you do or don't do.

Safe sledding...

I store my sled on the lift after every ride. Keeps it off the water on the floor when snow melts off after the ride and as the stand has wheels easy to move around. Most import it forces me to closer inspect sled especially the under carriage as you are looking right at it. Spends off season there as well. 

Archived