Trip to Moosonee availble this year?

snowman

Just wondering if anyone has done the trip from cochrane to moosonee recently?  Visited the Extreme Tours site and they just mention coming soon....Since the lack of snow and cold this year i was hoping to be able to get up there for a ride.   

Would anybody else be interested in gathering a group for this adventure, as i have been told by a friend that they like to have groups of 10 or so?

A bunch of locals did the trip a couple of weeks ago, minimal snow, and now this last warm spell ..... I'd think twice.

Thought I saw it mentioned here that it is not running this winter but will be again next winter.

Geeze that's way up there...what kind of trip would that entail? I'm guessing a bunch of free riding??

5 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Geeze that's way up there...what kind of trip would that entail? I'm guessing a bunch of free riding??

Freeriding, running the rivers, hauling 3 cans of gas, spare belts tow straps survival gear etc etc etc. ... lots of fun if you're into off trail riding. Takes a certain mental discipline I think, to make such a trek. 

My kind of adventure entails pushing beyond the point the gas gauge says Empty .....

I did the trip to Moosonee back in 2009 with 7 others.  I rode my 2001 Tom Cat as well.  It cost us $450 each that year.  We got a guide from the base camp and rode the power line to Onakawa to Tozers camp the first day.  Stayed the night and had dinner and breakfast.  Next day rode the power line and the Moose River to Moosonee and Moose Factory with Tozer as our guide.  Went out on James Bay and back to Moosonee for gas and lunch and pictures in town.  Rode back to Tozers Camp for dinner and breakfast.  Next day rode back to the base camp and then to Smoothrock for lunch, then back to Cochrane for the night.  It was a big trip as we started and ended in New Liskeard.  The power line has lots of powder if you want to boondock.  You need at least 136" sled to try that.  The Tom Cat would scrub off speed very fast in the powder but I never got stuck.  Mostly stayed on the nature groomed mogul trail.

You have to have faith in your equipment and know how it works and how to fix it.  Two nights stay at Tozers camp, two breakfasts and two dinners and a guide for $450 each.  Bill Froud got $200 of that money for meeting us at the NAI.  Tozers wife got the balance.

BP

On 2/24/2017 at 1:06 PM, Doo Dad said:

Thought I saw it mentioned here that it is not running this winter but will be again next winter.

Hydro is up there doing some line work. I wonder if that has something to do with it???

I'm thinking of outfitting a trip like this next year in Northern Quebec.

My brother owns a hunting / fishing lodge in the Lac St Jean region.

Deep powder, hundreds of miles of logging roads and hilly clear cuts. 

Anybody interested  ? 

Does anyone know how many kms this trip is? 600 one way?

Spoke to the guys at base camp a few days ago.  The fellow there said that they are gearing up to give a "Better Experience" to the rider and will have something available next year.   That sounds to me like they are thinking how they can charge more...wife and i was there a few days ago, used 28 liters of gas, 1 beer and 1 rum and coke and it was $110.  a bit steep if you ask me, i could only imagine what they would try to charge if it was these guys trying to run it.   I know it is in the middle of nowhere but it is road accessible for fuel drops and they do have a 10,000 liter tank so they wouldn't be paying super outrages prices for it.

nice trip to the base camp, but not the nicest experience at the camp.  Only a few people there when we got there, but they couldn't find the time to at least wipe the table that we were at as it was sticky and nasty.  I hate lazy people, especially when i have to had them my money for a service.

If i were to do this loop again i would bring all my own fuel and some food and just avoid the base camp.

Appreciate the input, snowman. I always give the northern fuel depots 'slack' when it comes to pricing and amenities. Your trip report gave me an idea for a 'couples tour'. Wife's never been up there, and could view another 'mothership' (she once shouted "hallelujah' upon arriving at Deerhurst in the midst of a 1 week trip and we never did make it to North Bay).

Yes Canuck my wife mostly rides for the destination as well.  anything past -13 she won't leave the woodstove.  you know how it is..she has a unsatisfied trip so do I lol.

"Your trip report gave me an idea for a 'couples tour'."

@canuck -> keep me in the loop if this works out, this seems interesting for us too. determined to ride the 'Abitibi canyon' this year, so we will be a little seasoned.

For my wife it doesn't have to be fancy. Clean and comfortable as she puts it will do. HOWEVER! She will NEVER object to and does appreciate the NICER places. I made a mistake years ago of taking it upscale one weekend. Since then she has expected at least one upscale weekend a season. We normally ride in the Port Severn area surrounding areas. She quite enjoyed the Inn at Christies Mill with a trip to the spa for a massage at the end of the day. Like snowmans other half my wife will not do the real cold days either. Two years ago Family Day weekend we got up on the Sunday morning to -32. I looked at her and said, you're not riding today are you. She just grinned.

We would likely be interested in a "couples tour".

On 3/2/2017 at 7:57 AM, snowman said:

Spoke to the guys at base camp a few days ago.  The fellow there said that they are gearing up to give a "Better Experience" to the rider and will have something available next year.   That sounds to me like they are thinking how they can charge more...wife and i was there a few days ago, used 28 liters of gas, 1 beer and 1 rum and coke and it was $110.  a bit steep if you ask me, i could only imagine what they would try to charge if it was these guys trying to run it.   I know it is in the middle of nowhere but it is road accessible for fuel drops and they do have a 10,000 liter tank so they wouldn't be paying super outrages prices for it.

nice trip to the base camp, but not the nicest experience at the camp.  Only a few people there when we got there, but they couldn't find the time to at least wipe the table that we were at as it was sticky and nasty.  I hate lazy people, especially when i have to had them my money for a service.

If i were to do this loop again i would bring all my own fuel and some food and just avoid the base camp.

I am assuming 'base camp' is at the top of the 'Abitibi canyon' trail? just checking as we are hoping to take a ride up there next weekend.

19 minutes ago, Popeye said:

I am assuming 'base camp' is at the top of the 'Abitibi canyon' trail? just checking as we are hoping to take a ride up there next weekend.

You are correct.

Base camp struck me as even more expensive than in past years.  $3 / L for fuel, $5 for a hot dog and $10 for a bowl of watery chili.  At least it was hot (temp wise not spicy)

Yikes.  Pretty pricey for a weiner on a frig'n bun. 

The gas , well ok, part of the experience i guess, but really, thats a bit much for the food.   The gas in enough too this yr by the sounds of it too.  Sell a dozen hotdogs, = pretty good buck if you ask me.  

Hopefully this year the dogs are warm.

Last year they where cold and still pricy

How much fuel do you need to get at base camp to make it to smooth rock falls comfortably coming up from east side? 15 litres? F6 efi. 

Wow.... I don't mind anyone making a decent profit but that really sounds over the top. Hopefully at least the hot dogs were quality and not Maple Lodge chicken wieners. Kind of reminds me of the prices you pay at the International Centre or CNE event shows.

12 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Base camp struck me as even more expensive than in past years.  $3 / L for fuel, $5 for a hot dog and $10 for a bowl of watery chili.  At least it was hot (temp wise not spicy)

Supply and Demand working at its best.

Might be time to get a muff pot and heat up your own hot dogs.... I know.... I know.... I left the door open.

Capturex.JPG.257504bd8c4f1bf939a8fc920d63d3cd.JPG

Archived