Abitibi Canyon Loop? Worth it? Opinion?

sledzz

Thanks for the info , that’s good to know  . 

I do keep a close eye on fuel/ mileage/ range capabilities but have not filled it at the pump with the fuel light on 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ride a Nytro and when I did this trip a few weeks ago we topped up in SRF before we headed north.  Got to basecamp and put in 13L of fuel.  Back to Cochrane and put in 22L of fuel.  Gas light never came on and we were riding fairly hard.  We brought extra fuel because i didnt think i would make it but never used it.  the tank on my sled is 27L.

No problem Boy oh Buoy, earlier in the year when I pick up my new to me 2011apex the tank was pretty much empty on fuel, after warming up the sled it kept stalling driving it a few feet to load it on the trailer, ended up putting 34L which filled it completely.

Eps models have a smaller tank at 34.6L, would be great if they were closer to 38-40L.

1 hour ago, GibsonNytro said:

I ride a Nytro and when I did this trip a few weeks ago we topped up in SRF before we headed north.  Got to basecamp and put in 13L of fuel.  Back to Cochrane and put in 22L of fuel.  Gas light never came on and we were riding fairly hard.  We brought extra fuel because i didnt think i would make it but never used it.  the tank on my sled is 27L.

When I had my nytro I found my light would come on with around 6-6.5L of fuel left, I was averaging about 6km per litre of fuel so as soon as the light comes on you should be good for 35 km, 40 km and sled was empty. Always good to carry a bit of extra fuel as fuel range varies.

3 hours ago, gobills said:

Im confident my 800 polaris could make it from cochrane to smooth rock.  Depending on how hard I ride.  If I took it easy I'd make it.  If I was on the throttle not too sure.  

I would think it could.  My 17 SBA took 19 litres up the east side from Cochrane and less down the west to SRF.  

5 hours ago, tricky said:

Are all the modern 800 class sleds that good on fuel, or just the doos?

Might depend on the gearing, my MXz has 27/45 gearing, tallest they make in the yellow sleds.  Any renegade or XRS version is geared lower.  The day I went, the East side was bumpy for the first half, and I was alone at 4 pm, so not putting it in the bush was potentially a life and death thing (not to say that I'd ride the sh!t out of it anyways, but ...).  That was a 233 km ride, 33L to the Westway. 

3 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

I'm pretty sure my XF7000 would do it as well.  It seems to get identical mileage to Denis' 800.  21 mpg on the Sudsbury trip and holds 34 liters.  I would not try it without carrying a little fuel and my other sleds could never make it.

BP

3 years ago late March season ender ride, I had my 670 Bologne slicer do 220 km (on 2 fuel stops) using 32L of gas .... it was cold and sunny, hard trail conditions, perfect actually.  I'd almost be tempted to try the Canyon, if I had a friend carrying spare fuel for me .... 

Fuel infection has caused Halfway Haven lots of revenue! 

When they opened, every sled through the yard would git 8+ gal, and they had a full time gas boy.

Now - guys may git a few gal to make sure they can git through.

Just curious... there are comments about the price of the gas... How much is it? I just paid $1.319 to fill the Escape in Toronto.

4 minutes ago, gobills said:

3 bucks a litre premium.

Wow... that is pricey but like you said... glad he's there when you need it. If you're in the middle of nowhere and need gas it's simply priceless.

Reminds me of the articles I have read about the local marina operators and the cost of gas. They see people carrying gas cans down to the dock to fill their boats spilling some of it in the lake in order to save a few bucks. People forget the marina operator has a short season to make their money, higher insurance premiums to be able to pump gas lake side than the guy on the road who can pump year round and doesn't do the volume the guy on the road does. Then the same people grumble when the marina operator closes up and the property is sold and redeveloped.

3 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Reminds me of the articles I have read about the local marina operators and the cost of gas. They see people carrying gas cans down to the dock to fill their boats spilling some of it in the lake in order to save a few bucks. People forget the marina operator has a short season to make their money, higher insurance premiums to be able to pump gas lake side than the guy on the road who can pump year round and doesn't do the volume the guy on the road does. Then the same people grumble when the marina operator closes up and the property is sold and redeveloped.

Maybe so, but......why do we still pay road tax (14.7 per litre) for marine gas.

We used to be able to save the receipts and get a rebate, but thats been gone for a few years now!

9 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Maybe so, but......why do we still pay road tax (14.7 per litre) for marine gas.

We used to be able to save the receipts and get a rebate, but thats been gone for a few years now!

Probably because all that tax on the gas just goes to the general coffers and isn't dedicated to road works.

Just buy 10 liters at the Base Camp.  Makes sure you get back, gives Mike some money, and you don't go broke.

4 hours ago, Fabio said:

Your vector should be like my apex, light will come on with about 10L of fuel left in the tank.

Few weeks ago from halfway to Aubrey falls which my speed showed 195km my light came on just 3 or 4 km before we got to the pump at black creek outfitters, sled took 25.5 litres to the neck of the tank.

All fuel lights come on early on newer sleds to protect fuel pumps. Probability last 3 or so litres can't use so you might have 7 useable litres left, so a good 50 km's no problem. 

50 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

All fuel lights come on early on newer sleds to protect fuel pumps. Probability last 3 or so litres can't use so you might have 7 useable litres left, so a good 50 km's no problem. 

Probability  might have  no problem                         Why don't I feel confident??

The Apex that ran out last year on route to Halfway had the fuel light on for 60 Km.  Mine was only on for about 40, but I took 34.3L in a 34.7L tank.  We were pushing snow so YMMV.

7 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

I'm pretty sure my XF7000 would do it as well.  It seems to get identical mileage to Denis' 800.  21 mpg on the Sudsbury trip and holds 34 liters.  I would not try it without carrying a little fuel and my other sleds could never make it.

BP

My ZR-7000 and my buds twin ZR-7000 both ran out of fuel within 100 meters of each other at 224 Kilometers running in normal trails and some deeper snow on the lake.  We rode from Halfway Haven direct to Dub and then never got gas and went for a spin north on Esnagi Lake.  Take the D108A just past the tracks and then cut into the lake over a few portages and frozen swamps.  Ran out just past the garbage dump back in Dub.  I had a gallon for each machine in my saddle bags.  Fuel light was on up on Esnagi and still played a bit before heading back to town.  My 2018 Cat XF-8000 has a bigger tank and will go 250 Kilometers of normal riding and it has a 1.75" lug track.

3 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Maybe because it's still delivered by road......

:lmao:

:icon_that:what I thought! LOL!

5 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

Just buy 10 liters at the Base Camp.  Makes sure you get back, gives Mike some money, and you don't go broke.

Thats what I do.   I know if I put 10L in I will make it back to town.    Yes, its expensive gas but whats another $30 when you are already spending $800-1000 to go up there for a trip?  

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

Yes, its expensive gas but whats another $30 when you are already spending $800-1000 to go up there for a trip?  

A trip has not been that cheap for several years.  I'm pretty sure the total cost is closer to $2000.  I hear about it when the master card bill comes.

7 hours ago, gobills said:

3 bucks a litre premium.

But they have to haul fuel up from town to base camp. I heard ofsc groomers are used to haul fuel up there too, not sure if that is still true and wether they pay abit for groomer to do this too? 

Halfway was 2.50 a litre for premium too. Only needed 20 litres there between the two sleds. Was only about 140 km's from chapleau fuel stop on highway101. 

No they ship fuel in there by truck not on the groomer.  Mike also pays the smooth rock club to do an extra pass on the west side one extra time per week for the season.  He also has a place for the groomer operator to spend the night up there before they head back on the east side.  He is doing a stellar job up there.

Spent 2 weeks up north middle March with some buds and staged out of KL. Ran 11 days and Abitibi Loop especially spectacular. East side flat, smooth, curvy with great sight lines, an endless snow track carved through a spruce bog. A must do! West side is a wide open flat hydro cut with ridiculously long straightaways. Next time, I’ll run up east side to base camp, happily pay $3 litre for premium, choke down the $10 hotdog/soup combo and rerun the east side back to Cochrane. We ran and stayed in KL,  Timmins, Cochrane, Kap and Hearst and the other most memorable trail was the Missinaibi Loop out of Hearst, but Everyone Everywhere was helpful and courteous. 

Archived