Abitibi Canyon Loop? Worth it? Opinion?

sledzz

2 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I had a couple of opportunities to go north this winter with other people. VERY TEMPTING... VERY. Unfortunately timing and circumstances wouldn't align. Perhaps next year. I suspect if faced with little or no snow locally I will almost feel compelled to travel "north"

As for not that much farther than Sudbury.... hmmm.... Home to Sudbury 400km or 4 hours... one tank of gas. Home to Cochrane.  Just shy of 800km and just over 8 .5 hours without stops. Definitely need to stop for gas for Cochrane.

Yes, from Apsley to Cochrane we do a gas stop in North Bay. Do a lunch stop there as well. 

The Kap trip, I met sledjunk & the gang @ the Emsdale info center around 11 AM. Rolled into Kap @ 7 PM. Had I driven straight thru, probably made Kap' sooner. Both my Timmins & Kap trips that I was on I left around 8 AM. Getting over to Huntsville isn't the quickest area to drive thru.

Some of the gang can probably give the pros & cons of Sudbury vs further north of a staging point.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I had a couple of opportunities to go north this winter with other people. VERY TEMPTING... VERY. Unfortunately timing and circumstances wouldn't align. Perhaps next year. I suspect if faced with little or no snow locally I will almost feel compelled to travel "north"

As for not that much farther than Sudbury.... hmmm.... Home to Sudbury 400km or 4 hours... one tank of gas. Home to Cochrane.  Just shy of 800km and just over 8 .5 hours without stops. Definitely need to stop for gas for Cochrane.

Might as well get out of sledding completely then, 'cause if you're going to wait on Mother Nature every season, you'll be dissapointed almost every season.

You're retired, have the time, can probably afford it easily enough, so quit making excuses and ride... or quit whining that it costs so much or it's too far .... excuses made by the kind that just don't want to put in the effort to enjoy life.

I live paycheck to paycheck, have basically nothing left of a pay when the next one comes around, and yet have 3 sleds on the trail all functional, 1 of them on payments, a trailer on payments, 2 kids and a wife, and can STILL pull off 5000 km this year.  Don't tell me you can't afford to take 5 days off and ride 3 of them, and spend 4 nights on a motel.

If someone was to say, look @ the money you spent on the 2 trips up north this winter!. Look @ my mileages since '13/'14 (season on my RAN tour). The only reason my '15/'16 is as high as it is, was the trip to Kap' late in the season. I sure didn't blow the gas budget last season. 

36 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Might as well get out of sledding completely then, 'cause if you're going to wait on Mother Nature every season, you'll be dissapointed almost every season.

You're retired, have the time, can probably afford it easily enough, so quit making excuses and ride... or quit whining that it costs so much or it's too far .... excuses made by the kind that just don't want to put in the effort to enjoy life.

I live paycheck to paycheck, have basically nothing left of a pay when the next one comes around, and yet have 3 sleds on the trail all functional, 1 of them on payments, a trailer on payments, 2 kids and a wife, and can STILL pull off 5000 km this year.  Don't tell me you can't afford to take 5 days off and ride 3 of them, and spend 4 nights on a motel.

I did seriously consider heading north for a week this winter even though it would have been an extensive drive. The kicker that put a kink in it was primarily around my wife's horse having to be put down after her having him almost 25 years. I needed to be home for her.

Like I said... poor snow next year (which isn't going to be the case... I'm an optimist) and I will likely bite the bullet and make the drive. I will admit I have gotten softer in my old age. There was a time when I would drive more than that over the course of a weekend to go to the rodeos.

What would you do if a bunch of old guys like myself and Catinental and a few others showed up all at the same time.  

5 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I did seriously consider heading north for a week this winter even though it would have been an extensive drive. The kicker that put a kink in it was primarily around my wife's horse having to be put down after her having him almost 25 years. I needed to be home for her.

Like I said... poor snow next year (which isn't going to be the case... I'm an optimist) and I will likely bite the bullet and make the drive. I will admit I have gotten softer in my old age. There was a time when I would drive more than that over the course of a weekend to go to the rodeos.

What would you do if a bunch of old guys like myself and Catinental and a few others showed up all at the same time.  

If Dennis was a government minister he would say here comes the "Neanderthals". LOL

6 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If Dennis was a government minister he would say here comes the "Neanderthals". LOL

:rotflmao: 

When I go on a trip north, there is usually two trucks/trailers driving together with 3 -5 people in the convoy.  First gas stop around Barrie. Second in North Bay.  Roll into Timmins or Cochrane on fumes.  Park the trucks, stay the night and leave them for 3-5 days and ride a big loop and return for another nights stay and drive home.  With 4-stroke, no oil to carry.  Pack your wares and socks in your saddle bags and go.  See the north and go see Quebec.

BP

Don't know if it was said but Base Camp is closed for the season as of end of the day April 8th

8 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

Don't know if it was said but Base Camp is closed for the season as of end of the day April 8th

I am sure groomers will be parked too. Not worth to keep things going for the last few that might show up and ride. April 8 is really good. Base camp has been open since Xmas. Sure they are tired up there too. 

4 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

I am sure groomers will be parked too. Not worth to keep things going for the last few that might show up and ride. April 8 is really good. Base camp has been open since Xmas. Sure they are tired up there too. 

Maybe best to wait and let the club make that decision.

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

"Hey, it's my fellow Neanderthal buddies !!!" Would be more like me ... :D

I would bet that the Cochrane club will stop grooming after next weekend.   I have heard that the sled traffic has really slowed down in the last 10 days.   I think everyone has put their sleds away and is moving onto spring hobbies.   

Correct.  Basecamp has set a date to close up shop, end of the day NEXT SUNDAY.  I imagine the A103 will be showing as red as a result. 

On 2018-03-29 at 2:47 PM, Viperules700 said:

SRF and Polar bear riders will close the trail to the canyon the same day Base camp is closed for liability reasons. The trail can't be open without fuel available, it's too remote.

On 2018-03-31 at 10:13 AM, Yukon Cornelious said:

SRF and Polar bear riders will close the trail to the canyon the same day Base camp is closed for liability reasons. The trail can't be open without fuel available, it's too remote.

Easily doable with a 900 ACE and no need to carry extra fuel!

easy to do with 850 up east side down west side to  Smooth Rock to fill  no problem........don't have to stand in line for fuel

full leaving Cochrane

1 hour ago, bamm320 said:

easy to do with 850 up east side down west side to  Smooth Rock to fill  no problem........don't have to stand in line for fuel

full leaving Cochrane

Now that is impressive.

10 hours ago, tricky said:

Easily doable with a 900 ACE and no need to carry extra fuel!

My 800 E-tec did it with 7L to spare...

57 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

My 800 E-tec did it with 7L to spare...

Are all the modern 800 class sleds that good on fuel, or just the doos?

Im confident my 800 polaris could make it from cochrane to smooth rock.  Depending on how hard I ride.  If I took it easy I'd make it.  If I was on the throttle not too sure.  

1 minute ago, gobills said:

Im confident my 800 polaris could make it from cochrane to smooth rock.  Depending on how hard I ride.  If I took it easy I'd make it.  If I was on the throttle not too sure.  

I think that is the case with our Vector's and with a lot of other sleds as well.

I wouldn’t try it with a vector without extra fuel. We left smooth rock absolutely topped up cruising at a steady 80 k and my fuel light came on prior to the east warm up shack and the Ms ‘14 Renegade Backcountry 800 made it the last 40 km after I borrowed her fuel. I wasn’t impressed 

Your vector should be like my apex, light will come on with about 10L of fuel left in the tank.

Few weeks ago from halfway to Aubrey falls which my speed showed 195km my light came on just 3 or 4 km before we got to the pump at black creek outfitters, sled took 25.5 litres to the neck of the tank.

I'm pretty sure my XF7000 would do it as well.  It seems to get identical mileage to Denis' 800.  21 mpg on the Sudsbury trip and holds 34 liters.  I would not try it without carrying a little fuel and my other sleds could never make it.

BP

Archived