Made our own bad luck in Bancroft with 3 tickets

GrizzlyGriff

My bad decision led to 3 tickets for me and my buddies in Bancroft.  For those of you who know the place, we were at the Sword Motor Inn with the gas station just a 100 feet down the sidewalk.  Well, lazy me decides to pop down sans helmet.  Just stuck in the pump and face to face with an OPP officer.  Why aren't you wearing a helmet he asks. What were they doing? Coffee at McDonalds just across the street?  Nuts!

So then my brother appears and I am pointing at the cruiser and signalling for him to go back.  LOL, he has no clue what I am doing, looks right through the cruiser and proceeds to the pump.  Next comes my buddy and by now the OPP officer is killing himself laughing as I am trying to warn him off too.

Well, no warnings and 3 tickets.  Totally our fault.

Must have been a slow day, the quota was down. He could  have given warnings, since you were not really going anywhere and the hotel was so close but it seems enforcement via discretionary leniency no longer exists within the OPP.

My thoughts exactly .  we were very polite.

I almost got a ticket for no helmet once. The cop was refusing to listen to the fact that I was not on the trail and that I was on my friends private property. At the time it was a privately owned campground but now the township public park. I had just finished putting on a new belt and carbides and was taking the sled for a quick test in the park. The cruiser came along Port Severn Rd and you could see us from the road. He actually drove into my friends driveway and wanted to know where my helmet was. Eventually my friend came out of the house to ask what the problem was since it was his property. Eventually the cop agreed that although it was a campground it was really my friends backyard as well.

I got a speeding warning on friday at about 5 pm coming back into gravenhurst on the d.  They were good about it I was going about 52 mile.  Just said slow down and looked at my trail pass and Val tag.  Said have a good day.  

$115 a few yrs ago not done up. 

Although i was just putting along on my atv on local forest rds early spring.  I also did not have my wallet, ownership, insurance or headlight on, so , could of been worse.  

Hadnt planned on going off my own property but buddy come along and said lets go for a tour.  Of course he had all his stuff with him. 

$110 and no points.  My share of the room was only $59 so an expensive overnighter.

welcome to bancroft lol always little overzealous there and not very friendly, find the opp i run into around the kawarthas can have a laugh and some good conversation

I think all opp have zero tolerance for helmets. 

I understand your frustration with that as you were not going too far but also for them its a safety aspect of it and with the way this season has gone with so many deaths, safety is on their #1 priority. Think of this if he had not stopped and ticketed you for it and you decided to go across the street just to go for a quick rip cause your buddy now talked you into doing so and you rapped your sled around a tree or another careless sledder hit you and you were killed, he'd have your death on his conscious as well john Q public would be bashing him for not stopping you in the first place about not wearing the helmet which would also put him in a liability state having saw you driving without a helmet and did nothing about it. For them those things are a catch 22. its not like you having a race can or other after market can on and giving you a ticket for that. That is something that is more discretionary that they can do. 

Just another way of looking at it from their stand point. I know it sucks getting a ticket regardless. 

"No helmet to be seen, no gloves, no suit, nothing. They were in jeans and a sweat shirt. That's what blew me out of the water, especially on a big machine like that. It was a brand new machine. Why didn't he have helmet on? If he did have one on it would have been a different outcome," Vokey said. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/justyn-pollard-dies-snowmobile-crash-head-on-taxi-1.3991199

It was a bad decision.  not frustrated by it...totally my fault.  Lesson learned.

Interested to know if they allowed you to ride back to the hotel or if you had to walk there to retrieve your helmets?   If they were truly serious about being concerned for your safety I would think your sleds would be parked until you had a helmet on.  

13 minutes ago, speedy said:

Interested to know if they allowed you to ride back to the hotel or if you had to walk there to retrieve your helmets?   If they were truly serious about being concerned for your safety I would think your sleds would be parked until you had a helmet on.  

Yes, safety first ! LOL ! 

19 hours ago, blue er said:

welcome to bancroft lol always little overzealous there and not very friendly, find the opp i run into around the kawarthas can have a laugh and some good conversation

They lost my respect after the fiasco of "over-enforcement" during the oval races there a few years ago. I road up the railbed & got stopped @ a checkpoint where E110 & B106E intersect just below the Granite. A full paperwork check. Then continue along and another checkpoint & full paperwork check within sight of the airport. 

16 hours ago, Reved said:

I think all opp have zero tolerance for helmets. 

I was going to post that as well. I think that applies to the SAVE teams when they're checking ATVers as well.

6 hours ago, speedy said:

Good point. Allowed to ride back

On 2/21/2017 at 3:43 PM, GrizzlyGriff said:

Good point. Allowed to ride back

If you were allowed to ride back, I'd fight it. 

Just to prove a point in court, and to make the cop look stupid.

Are they looking out for "our" safety, or is this just a money grab?? 

3 guys at $110 each = a pretty good morning for him. 

22 minutes ago, monte1214 said:

If you were allowed to ride back, I'd fight it. 

Just to prove a point in court, and to make the cop look stupid.

Are they looking out for "our" safety, or is this just a money grab?? 

3 guys at $110 each = a pretty good morning for him. 

To me, it's an obvious money grab. However, I doubt that you could win in court on this one. Even on an outside chance that you could win, or at least as you said " make the cop look stupid", what about the next time / the next victim ? Would you like to see the cops start impounding and towing away sleds, because without a helmet, you are in no condition to ride any further ? It's kind of like blowing over the limit in a strange but valid comparison. Sometimes you have to watch what you wish for. Don't get me wrong on this - I think it was a bs call and warnings could have been issued.  100 feet !

In all the years I have been sledding all my helmet did was keep my head from freezing, except one time I was 10-15 kph and my ski hooked up on a sewer grate and I went rolling down the street, did a lot of damage to my helmet. Since than even moving 20 ft from a gas pump I put my helmet on. Grizz thought it was funny when I moved my sled in Hornpayne and put my helmet on.....Bahaha $110

On 2/21/2017 at 7:46 AM, GrizzlyGriff said:

It was a bad decision.  not frustrated by it...totally my fault.  Lesson learned.

Since it was totally your fault, can we assume you paid the other 2 fines?  :lol:

On 2017-02-20 at 11:21 AM, 02Sled said:

I almost got a ticket for no helmet once. The cop was refusing to listen to the fact that I was not on the trail and that I was on my friends private property. At the time it was a privately owned campground but now the township public park. I had just finished putting on a new belt and carbides and was taking the sled for a quick test in the park. The cruiser came along Port Severn Rd and you could see us from the road. He actually drove into my friends driveway and wanted to know where my helmet was. Eventually my friend came out of the house to ask what the problem was since it was his property. Eventually the cop agreed that although it was a campground it was really my friends backyard as well.

Cliff,

The helmet exception on private property in the MSVA only applies to the landowner. 

You got lucky. 

On 2017-02-23 at 3:25 PM, whiskywizard said:

Since it was totally your fault, can we assume you paid the other 2 fines?  :lol:

Oh crap..I hope my buddies don't read this!:huh::D

Archived