Free weekend was a bad idea

WinderFab

Never seen that many sleds out in the parry sound area, the weather didn't help the trails but groups and groups and more groups just destroying the trails for free isn't right, the C103D looked like the 401 at 5 pm... C south of Hwy 141 where it crosses under hwy 400 is completely melted down to gravel in many places, washouts in many trails started to open up again do to the constant beeting... seen groups with guys riding just with snow pants and a helmet lol, not even a t shirt lol... causing havoc and unnecessary actions at gas stations... the trails wouldn't be in this bad shape if it was a normal ofsc permit holder weekend... 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also get the concept, but what I seen most won't be buying a permit next year and just waiting for the free weekend again.. if they keep this free weekend going than maybe they should have it weather permitting or have it early in the year when the trails can recover.

My perspective as a new sledder...its pretty much a slap in the face for valid OFSC seasonal permit holders!

Who keeps a sled, puts a val tag & insurance for 1 weekend? people will say, what about ice fishermen? I doubt they have any interest to check out the trails. The only reason they have a sled is to get from Pefferlaw, Port Perry or Keswick to their ice hut

57 minutes ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

I wonder how many were actually trying out the trails for the first time with the interest of getting into sledding and thinking "this is horrible!!!" 

I noticed a bunch of sleds out on Saturday that had permits on them from 2014, 2015 or 2016. The free weekend isn't enticing any of these people to buy permits. They are just taking advantage of the free weekend and not worrying about being seen or caught. My money says they are locals who ride mid week or off times without a permit when the chances of getting caught are slim to none. The numbers of people doing this I believe are growing and will continue to. You don't invest in a $10K to $15K sled to leave it parked.

2 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

You don't invest in a $10K to $15K sled to leave it parked.

I wasn't even thinking of that high of an amount.

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I wasn't even thinking of that high of an amount.

Lots of the sleds I saw with the free permits or the ones with old seasonal permits that didn't have the current free permit were sleds that were about 5 years old or less by looking at them. I did some trail patrol time on Saturday afternoon in Six Mile Lake Provincial Park and some people without permits just said it was a free weekend and plead ignorance/stupidity that they didn't know you needed to go online and print the free permit for the weekend. One had the same 2015 sled as me and tried to tell me he only rides the free weekends.

1 hour ago, johnsazzr said:

My perspective as a new sledder...its pretty much a slap in the face for valid OFSC seasonal permit holders!

Well said. Pretty much sums it up.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Lots of the sleds I saw with the free permits or the ones with old seasonal permits that didn't have the current free permit were sleds that were about 5 years old or less by looking at them. I did some trail patrol time on Saturday afternoon in Six Mile Lake Provincial Park and some people without permits just said it was a free weekend and plead ignorance/stupidity that they didn't know you needed to go online and print the free permit for the weekend. One had the same 2015 sled as me and tried to tell me he only rides the free weekends.

If they aren't paying for a permit they sure aren't holding valid insurance either. 

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

I noticed a bunch of sleds out on Saturday that had permits on them from 2014, 2015 or 2016. The free weekend isn't enticing any of these people to buy permits. They are just taking advantage of the free weekend and not worrying about being seen or caught. My money says they are locals who ride mid week or off times without a permit when the chances of getting caught are slim to none. The numbers of people doing this I believe are growing and will continue to. You don't invest in a $10K to $15K sled to leave it parked.

Just watched my neighbor arrive home from his free weekend. Sleds are all 2004 to 2014 revs,  4 in total.  They ride a couple of nights per week at sunset and this is their big ride during the day week end. They keep their sleds covered at all times when parked. Have not had a permit in 3 years. The Old man gets a 3 day once a year I think. Pisses me off. 

And the validation stickers are years old so prob no insurance. 

My wife and I never ride this weekend. A few years ago a couple came down a hill on there newer 2 up out of control and got me. His 2 up seat actually got caught on my handle bars and he just tried to drive away. He did have the free permit on but no idea on how to ride. As season permit holders this is a weekend we don't get to ride.

Neighbour came up first time this season and fired up his 3 sleds for the first time this season. Had his shop class students get them working. They've been riding all weekend, no insurance and don't care.

6 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

Neighbour came up first time this season and fired up his 3 sleds for the first time this season. Had his shop class students get them working. They've been riding all weekend, no insurance and don't care.

Running without insurance is the same as shoplifting. If he was to hit one of us, who play by the rules, our insurance picks up the tab, but in the end we all pay through increased rates. Stores build in a percentage of additional markup on all prices to absorb the cost of shoplifting. Again, the people who play by the rules pay the freight.

31 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

Running without insurance is the same as shoplifting. If he was to hit one of us, who play by the rules, our insurance picks up the tab, but in the end we all pay through increased rates. Stores build in a percentage of additional markup on all prices to absorb the cost of shoplifting. Again, the people who play by the rules pay the freight.

We had quite a heated discussion.

1 minute ago, jrhz06 said:

We had quite a heated discussion.

Good for you, John. It's one of those things where you feel worse for yourself saying nothing as opposed to an inevitable confrontation. You did the right thing.

I use the free weekend ( didn't this year) to run one of my vintage sleds....I also buy 2 passes every for the sleds I run all the time...I do have insurance on my 69 Sno Jet since I do use it ice fishing ....I know some other guys who use that weekend to run the vintage sleds abit on the trails and they all have insurance plated, etc......It would be interesting to see if the free passes were from guys who had already bought a season pass and were just running an extra sled for the weekend so family, friend, etc could go out...I to do not think that many get passes the following year...one thing I do kinda disagree with is thinking all theses free weekend passes destroyed the trails early this weekend...I saw tons of sleds with seasonal passes on the trails knowing it was plus 8 and no way trails could hold up..Cheers

Hopefully the Clubs have had enough of this Free Family Day Weekend.  I have been preaching against this badly conceived program for years.

It is absolutely the wrong thing to be doing and needs to be terminated at the next AGM by a Motion.  There are many reasons why this promotion is done, highlighted moreso this season by the mild weather and heavy traffic destroying the trails for the paying customers.

What other business gives away their product at the busiest weekend of the year.  Answer: Nobody but the OFSC!

It will pass easily by a vote of the Clubs.  This turkey is done, let's kill it.

Cancelling this for next year may also be an effective way to let the Provincial Ministers of both Transportation and Tourism know that there is serious issues in organized snowmobiling that they have done nothing about, such as legal liability, insurance claims, diminished on trail enforcement of Freeloaders, amend MSVA to provide to higher minimum fines and allow Trail Patrol to swear out an Infraction Notice similar to Quebec.  In addition, encourage Lmandowners to agree to have public trails on their land by implementing tax credits.  A great idea to salvage a PR disaster known as Bill 100.  Further, provide more, not less funds for Groomers and Trails.

The Federal Government supports snowmobiling in Quebec but for some unknown reason doesn't reciprocate in Ontario and most other provinces.

Organized snowmobiling in Ontario is at a major crossroads, in another 5 years there will be only be pockets of trails unless major improvements can be made to stop the deterioration.

Go to Bonfield Snowmobile Club's Facebook page and read their woes and they are undoubtedly one of the best Clubs in District 11 but they are extremely discouraged and the future looks dim in their minds.  I suspect there are dozens of Clubs in the same situation.

I also think the Trail Permits are too cheap, especially with such a high proportion being sold in October taking advantage of the Early, Early Bird pricing.

The weather did the most damage to the trails but an additional 6000-10000 sleds didn't help.

57 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

As in he is a highschool teacher? That might cost him his job

2 minutes ago, Old Sledder said:

As in he is a highschool teacher? That might cost him his job

He's a high school teacher, not from this region.

Archived