Free weekend was a bad idea

WinderFab

5 minutes ago, johnsazzr said:

So we all seem to agree this is moronic...what can we do about it?....when and where is the AGM and who gets to vote???

Your club sends delegates to the AGM each fall. I suspect it is at Blue Mountain again this year but not sure.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Well here is another reason to scrap the Family Day Weekend.

I just checked our Facebook Page and always reply to messages or inquiries.

Today we had a guy leave a 1 star rating for our Club and yesterday a gal left a 3 star rating.  Neither left a comment as to what particular issues they had.  Previously we had people leaving comments about a trail which wasn't even our Club.

People, what do you expect when it is +8C or thereabouts with sun shining and compounded by huge traffic.

Some Clubs groomed on the weekend, we didn't until yesterday.

On the free weekend when the traffic is the heaviest groomers should be out around the clock constantly reconditioning the trails.... couldn't resist, just kidding.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Your club sends delegates to the AGM each fall. I suspect it is at Blue Mountain again this year but not sure.

Actually I believe it's in Oshawa this year.  And yes 3rd weekend of September.  I went for the first time this past year for our club (Elmira SC.)

It blows my mind when the people that can ride the trails virtually from their back door in most of the regions north of Barrie and still don't purchase a permit. I do ever year and am not in sledding country. In the last 4 years I've probably put on about 3500 miles in total and that's a high guesstimate. I don't let it bother me too much but I agree with the opinions here. I bet there would still be more limited trails at the very least if it wasn't for the free weekend despite the low teens we had. The ITG looks more like late March colours than mid Feb when it should be top notch sledding right now in more areas. I may or may not ride again this year but I have every intention to buy a permit next year if I haven't gotten out of the sport once and for all. Never say never again though. I hope you all get the free weekend abolished once and for all as well. That's my vote. 

Whats everyone's opinion on the "freeloaders" who are also landowners and allow the trail to pass through there property.  My hunt camp is near Restoule and we have a few guys that have old sleds that only ride the trails on the free weekend.  Most just use there sleds to bomb around home off trails and to visit neighbors.  They do allow the trail to cross there hunt camp which would cut off access on the section from Nippissing to Restoule.

1 minute ago, Guy JR said:

Whats everyone's opinion on the "freeloaders" who are also landowners and allow the trail to pass through there property.  My hunt camp is near Restoule and we have a few guys that have old sleds that only ride the trails on the free weekend.  Most just use there sleds to bomb around home off trails and to visit neighbors.  They do allow the trail to cross there hunt camp which would cut off access on the section from Nippissing to Restoule.

Any landowner that grants access, and critical access for that matter, to the Federation would never be classified as a "freeloader." They should be given a couple of season passes as a matter of principle. In my humble opinion.

14 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

Any landowner that grants access, and critical access for that matter, to the Federation would never be classified as a "freeloader." They should be given a couple of season passes as a matter of principle. In my humble opinion.

The MTO doesn't allow free passes and they own them. I would much rather see a property tax credit that would be applicable to all landowners whether they ride a snowmobile or not. I think that would be more equitable and provide an incentive. The province has already said they are concerned about trails with this Bill 100 that in reality jeopardized trails.

02, that would be good too, in my opinion. Right now, just about anything would be better than the big box of nothing that we offer them.

38 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

yeah..thats an entire other discussion...so obvious its moronic....

tax credit option (or something similar) sounds awesome 02, as totally agree with the logic that then it doesn't matter if you ride or not. If only we could get the government to play ball on it. Our club gives a pair of work gloves and box of chocolates as a small thank you gesture to our landowners.  It's not much, but what we can manage on our little budget, and it's always been appreciated.  Nice to do something.  Back to specific topic though, I have to say I'm definitely mixed on the whole free weekend thing.  I can see both sides of the equation. You want to introduce people to the trails in the hopes they do buy permits (I've only owned sleds for ~3 years now, but have been double (classic) permit holder for all those years I've owned them) but you also don't want to burn the existing folks that currently buy their permits. And it's certainly tough to measure any conversion rate on what that actually happens.  How many people legitimately didn't know you had to actually register to ride them free, how many people are just the ones that don't ever buy permits and ride anyways without getting caught, how many have used couterfit permits, were the trails really beat up because of free weekend, the weather, or just that, well it's a long weekend, so everybody went out.   No matter what, you're always going to have the jerks who don't play by the rules, irrespective of if it was the free weekend or not.  Pisses me off for sure, but I'm a realist knowing you will never weed that out fully, and that there are no perfect answers.  Being on the family day weekend is a bit mixed.   Maybe if it stays it could not be consistent, change it each year by a weekend or two, to mix things up, so people don't just 'count' on it being the family day weekend, when there's already likely to be more traffic.

I love the idea exchange though that's going on, as that's the best thing to do, and to bring to your clubs, and present up to OFSC.  I know I'll be buying permits again next year no matter what. Hope others will to, as while sure it isn't perfect, it's pretty awesome thing going still!

I wonder what percentage of permits buyers actually stay off the trails the free weekend because of the ass hats

I mean of the 90 k permits sold

I know 4.

6 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

We used to do that but lots of landowners didn't have a sled so permit ended up where ever he felt like giving it . Or they started demanding several for all their family. Had to get rid of it.

34 minutes ago, Classic said:

We used to do that but lots of landowners didn't have a sled so permit ended up where ever he felt like giving it . Or they started demanding several for all their family. Had to get rid of it.

That's a good point. 02Sled has the right idea...

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 2:14 PM, bbakernbay said:

Hopefully the Clubs have had enough of this Free Family Day Weekend.  I have been preaching against this badly conceived program for years.

It is absolutely the wrong thing to be doing and needs to be terminated at the next AGM by a Motion.  There are many reasons why this promotion is done, highlighted moreso this season by the mild weather and heavy traffic destroying the trails for the paying customers.

What other business gives away their product at the busiest weekend of the year.  Answer: Nobody but the OFSC!

It will pass easily by a vote of the Clubs.  This turkey is done, let's kill it.

Cancelling this for next year may also be an effective way to let the Provincial Ministers of both Transportation and Tourism know that there is serious issues in organized snowmobiling that they have done nothing about, such as legal liability, insurance claims, diminished on trail enforcement of Freeloaders, amend MSVA to provide to higher minimum fines and allow Trail Patrol to swear out an Infraction Notice similar to Quebec.  In addition, encourage Lmandowners to agree to have public trails on their land by implementing tax credits.  A great idea to salvage a PR disaster known as Bill 100.  Further, provide more, not less funds for Groomers and Trails.

The Federal Government supports snowmobiling in Quebec but for some unknown reason doesn't reciprocate in Ontario and most other provinces.

Organized snowmobiling in Ontario is at a major crossroads, in another 5 years there will be only be pockets of trails unless major improvements can be made to stop the deterioration.

Go to Bonfield Snowmobile Club's Facebook page and read their woes and they are undoubtedly one of the best Clubs in District 11 but they are extremely discouraged and the future looks dim in their minds.  I suspect there are dozens of Clubs in the same situation.

I also think the Trail Permits are too cheap, especially with such a high proportion being sold in October taking advantage of the Early, Early Bird pricing.

Why cancel the free weekend,  just move it to the first weekend in April..  When most are done with the trails.. 

51 minutes ago, Classic said:

One year we had to give 10 to a hunt club after they got 1 the previous winter to get thru their property. It was a 1 year only deal & the club was able to reroute the trail onto Crown Land.

I know 4 that avoid the free weekend but also know a few that avoid weekends in general to avoid the crazies that are already out there most weekends.

1 minute ago, 02Sled said:

I know 4 that avoid the free weekend but also know a few that avoid weekends in general to avoid the crazies that are already out there most weekends.

Add me to this list. Sitting here waiting for the fog to lift, hopefully can get out today and tomorrow 

Back to the land owners thing, our club holds an appreciation dinner for them every year.  Sure, it costs a few bucks but we get good deals from supporting advertisers and companies. This has worked well for us.

That's an awesome idea.... I do something similar for the people at the wholesaler where I purchase my equipment and supplies.. I get primo service  from them. 

Archived