Trails in the hearst Cocrane Chapleua Wawa area.

Sasquatch777

Looking at riding Friday to Tuesday 24th to 28th on the Loop. Just wondering how bad the Free weekend and warm snap pooched the trails. Looks like cold and snow for the weekend which is a good sign but some kind of an idea what to expect would be great!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We rode SRF Cochrane on Saturday in plus 5 temps, trails themselves were great, anywhere away from intersections and towns.  Road crossings are now down to dirt/asphalt, but trails were beautiful.  Near towns are always a bit more bumpy as usual.  They typically have more traffic over there than Hearst area, so our trails tend to need less maintenance than theirs.  Our trails were mint before the mild spell, we did a couple hundred km's local before the weekend.

I don't expect the trails to degrade around here too much, they survived the last mild spell, they'll survive this one.  You'll maybe want scratchers though, trail surfaces are going to be crusty by Wednesday or Thursday, and if we get no new snow you'll need them.

For those of you curious about the weather,  it's currently -1°C in Hearst.  Calling for +3, but I don't think it'll get there.  I believe it'll stay just around the freezing mark today, and cooler temps are expected tonight and solid Minus temps from then on.  Meaning if you're planning to come this way, keep coming.  Watch for running water beside the trail near normal wet spots, but things should be good.

2 hours ago, Mvriens said:

Thanks for the update.

We are suppose to trailer to New Liskeard tonight.

Sled New Liskeard to Cochrane Thrusday

Cochrane-Abitibi canyon-Timmins, Friday.

Timmins-New Liskeard, Saturday.

Assuming you go, please post updates.  Planning to leave from Liskeard on a ride on March 2nd.

Some pics from last weekend in Hearst and on trail from Dub. 

(Some files Les not loading?)

IMG_5416.JPG

IMG_5417.JPG

IMG_5403.JPG

IMG_5404.JPG

IMG_5406.JPG

IMG_5416.JPG

IMG_5417.JPG

And more

IMG_5404.JPG

IMG_5407.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

Zrtkat & crew 

We are happy we stopped when we did  after looking at the pics Scott,looks tough getting into hotels bare pavement hard on Equipment that for sure

Trails looks decent though

nice pics

Greg

Started last Thursday in Sudbury and rode to Elliot lake, Wawa, Hearst, Cochrane, Shining tree and back to Sudbury.  Best trail riding was just past the Sault St. Marie cut off on D trail up to Dub.  Weather warmed up for a day then dropped back down and trails were rock hard, had issues with keeping sleds cool, didn't have ice scratchers so they would be a good idea.  Like Denis said once you were outside of town trails were decent but in towns they were pretty dirty.  Dirt starting to show up on the hills in the power lines, hoping weather gets cold with more snow on the way..

LOTS of water flowing north, east of the soo, now.

I am in dubreuilville now. right now without a cool down, and a dump of fresh snow, we are in spring riding conditions where I wouldn't recommend riding town to town. go to a town like dub, wawa, hearst, hornepayne,  ect... and plan on trailering to a trail head, ride for the day, and trailer to the hotel. anything that had been plowed at all is bare. all asphalt is BARE, towns and service access will suck. can you find good riding? sure. can you ride town to town? probably not a good idea.

Ski

11 hours ago, skidooboy said:

I am in dubreuilville now. right now without a cool down, and a dump of fresh snow, we are in spring riding conditions where I wouldn't recommend riding town to town. go to a town like dub, wawa, hearst, hornepayne,  ect... and plan on trailering to a trail head, ride for the day, and trailer to the hotel. anything that had been plowed at all is bare. all asphalt is BARE, towns and service access will suck. can you find good riding? sure. can you ride town to town? probably not a good idea.

Ski

Totally agree until more winter weather!  I saw the rain cover most of Ontario as it moved across yesterday on the maps.

1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

A trail in cochrane.. looks freaking good to me..B)

16864221_1205400196175263_3231202628962748767_n.jpg

Thanks for posting this pic, IQ...looks better than  I expected.  We're heading up to Cochrane on Sunday for 4 days of loops and a visit over to Hearst...so here's hoping...

There have been snowflakes drifting through the air here in town all day. Saw a picture that Halfway Haven actually got about 4" of snow last night and we are supposed to get some tomorrow and Saturday.  I think things have turned the corner and should start to improve.  

Also saw Dub and Wawa should be back grooming tomorrow according to Luc's Facebook.  

1 hour ago, irREVerent said:

Thanks for posting this pic, IQ...looks better than  I expected.  We're heading up to Cochrane on Sunday for 4 days of loops and a visit over to Hearst...so here's hoping...

We will see you up there then irREVerent.. we are leaving sat for cochrane..

2 hours ago, irREVerent said:

Four of us leaving here sunday as well,  My wife likes the  weekday  tours,  westway here we come,

1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

Halfway haven this am.. from their facebook  page.. WOOT WOOT..

16903573_10154086962286148_595550419089860954_o.jpg

Chapleau got this too.  Just got off the phone.

23 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Ski

eric

honestly.... we're coming,no matter what you say.we won't stay long,you won't even know we were there.

in the south at best of times,we have lots of bare pavement.mostly due to snow clearing,carbides can take it.its over heating that takes the fun outta it.don't get me going about water

pavement

20170216_131837_zps3ch7fvtx.jpg

water

20170108_104312_zpsikz7qxe3.jpg

but if your willing to pick us up with trailer,lol

hope to see you

Archived