Shivesy heading to the Northern Zone

Shivesy

I had a trip planned with my cousin from Ohio exactly this time last year but I woke up one morning at 4am to a heart attack 3 days before our departure. Believe me...bummer at the age of 53.  The hospital cut my sternum bone in half and yanked my heart out so they could do a triple bypass. The doctor stapled me back together and.......,

Fast forward a year and the sleds are ready to be ridden and I'm ready to ride. My plans are to pull out of Georgia Monday morning and pick my cousin up in Ohio Monday evening. We plan to drive thru the night and be at the Soo early Tues. morning.

I was wanting to stage out of Searchmont and head north to Halfway Haven. Can I park my truck and trailer at Searchmont?

Thinking of heading to Chapleau, Timmons, Cochran. I know the area but this warm weather you guys are experiencing has me a bit concerned as far as the trail conditions go. 

On a side note, I'm always up for an adventure. How hard is it to get to Hudson Bay and how does one go about it. I have heard rumors of sledding to the top of Abitibi Canyon and hiring some locals to take you up to Hudson Bay. Any info on this excursion?

contact carl at driftwood valley chalets, in searchmont. you can park there for a small fee, he will keep an eye on they for the duration of your trip.

be forewarned, weather, temps are UNSEASONABLY WARM RIGHT NOW, AND ARE FORECASETED FOR MULTIPLE DAYS.  Town access, any plowed portions will be bare VERY QUICKLY. (It was almost 50* here in dubreuilville today, with bright sunshine and no clouds).

we will be back in Dub on weds night feb 22 for the weekend. I am planning on riding but, know towns will be difficult.

whatever you decide, be safe driving and riding. have fun. glad you recovered from the heart scare. welcome back! Ski

Thank you Ski for the kind words. IF I decide to stage out of Searchmont I'll get in contact with Carl. Dang 50 degrees!!!

For late season conditions in Searchmont, you usually need to unload at the trailhead, maybe a 1/2 klick or so further out from Carl's.

You can park there, or take your truck up to Carl's and walk back.

Wawa will depend on how tight Wawa Lake is. 

I don't think that there is any trail into town other than the lake anymore, so ...

I know that Algoma Ice has not been all too good this year doo to not much real cold weather, and lots of snow blanketing. 

Call your motel in Wawa if staying there for lake conditions.

I recommend The Bristol Motel if you don't have anything lined up. They will be the most in touch with conditions.

Unless you are riding strait from Halfway up to Dubreuil? Again - that puts you mostly out on Whitefish Lake in ??? conditions. 

With the warm-up (can't ride the edge of the road) I don't know if there is a trail from Anjigami up to Hawk Junction or not?

I know that there usta be a marked trail out there before, but I don't know where that comes from or goes to. ???

Also - I don't know if there is gas in Hawk anymore.  It could be difficult for a stock machine to run from Halfway up to Hornepayne w/o doglegging through Wawa.

Thank you Ox for the wise information you have provided. As of now my cousin and I have postponed this trip until later in the week. From looking at the forecast it looks like colder weather is expected by Thursday. We are watching the trail conditions daily and hope to be able to ride some trails by the end of the week. I know the trails look okay now but with what I gather rain is  forecasted up there Tues, Wed and we are not really into sledding in the rain. 

image.jpg

should have some fluff by weeks end, you may want to wait until next week, let the clubs straighten this mess out. once it hardens up, there will be little to no lube for sliders, or cooling for sleds without scratchers. some fluff would help. here is the weather from environment Canada, It isn't the gospel but, it is better to have forecasts from them v.s a us based weather entity. good luck on your quest. we are heading up weds through sunday, crossing my fingers we can ride without hurting the sleds. Ski

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/ontario/wawa

Archived