Thundercat

Micar

So......the wife decides it's time to retire her 2012 F1100 SnoPro LTD. She rides less than I do so we decide she should ride my 2015 XF 7000 LTD. Off we of to the dealer to talk, not a lot of options now, with it being late in the year but great incentives, financing etc...We find a dealer with a 17 ZR 7000 137 LTD and get the price etc...good deal says I. Then the sales guy says we have a demo Thundercat, would you be interested in that? Well thats like asking someone if the Pope is Catholic!!! OF COURSE!!!

Here's my conundrum....I'm a trail rider, sure I like to go fast, but I ride mostly in Muskoka, how much more weight am I going to be wrestling around compared to my 7000? Whats the fuel mileage like? Can I make it to the Abitibi base camp without having to carry fuel? 

I need help, my testosterone manly man says get the Turbo, but my head says no need for it for my style of riding....or.....is there. 

I'm asking for real world feedback from the great ladies and gents on this site....don't need someone to tell me buy a Doo or get a Polaris....not going to happen, I'm a Cat guy for better or worse.

I would truly appreciate some constructive advice from T-Cat owners!!

Sorry for the wordy post.

Mike

How fast do you want to go? The turbo will let you dominate the lakes if that's your thing. We have the ZR 7000 El Tigres and so far we love them. I'm not so sure you would notice a lot of weight difference between the ZR7000 and the Thundercat. Check the specs. I think you'll find the weights real close. I have been told the repair costs if you have turbo problems can give heart palpitations but that's second hand information 

I have the sister to the T-Cat, the Sidewinder. This sled ticks all the boxes for me! Ride, handling, power, fuel economy and reliability. I also have an Apex and a few others in the pack do as well. I am on par or about 1 liter more fuel at fill up time on a 150km run. I can get 200km on a tank which the Apexes better me slightly. The power is incredible, it just never stops pulling. Its smooth, its quiet, its an incredible machine!

You will not be disappointed with this sled!

Unless cost is a big factor, Why would you opt for 70 less horsepower? IMHO.

Just checked the weight on my 15XF 7000 it is 282Kg or 620lbs. I assume that is dry wt. I have seen weights of 615-620 on the T-Cat with 2 gallons of fuel and all liquids. So, it should be lighter or around the same weight??.

It should be a bit heavier. Its basically a 7000 with a turbo, intercooler and plumbing, but it also has a whole lot more power.

If you go to the Cat web site it allows you to compare the two sleds listing all the specs side by side for both so you can see what's different. A lot of the specs are identical. There are few differences

I am on a '17 Thundercat for this year and am quite happy with the purchase.

Bought my first Cat in '15, bought a '14 ZR7000ltd 129" as a leftover to try.

It got me hooked on the ProCross chassis for trail riding around Muskoka.

For '16 I snowchecked a ZR7000ltd 137", it was a big improvement over the '14.

(The shock package, clutching and 137" track and 18mpg trail riding at a good pace)

The Thundercat is a great all-around package, wish it had the larger fuel tank though.

It is fine when I am out for a Sunday ride with the wife or touring with our group. (fast)

Belt is fine after 1250 miles, a few suspension adjustments and it's pretty well dialed in.

I don't notice it being any more difficult to ride than the '16, which I really liked as well.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask me any other questions you may have.

You won't have any problem making the Canyon from Cochrane on the long side.  I have made it with my thirsty 2001 T-Cat twice.  You won't like the price of the fuel there.

BP

Traded my 2014 Viper for a Sidewinder LTX LE, no regrets. Sidewinder smoother, quieter and much faster. Starting and running quality much better with Japanese electronics.Weight difference not noticeable, and stock clutching makes it easy to ride tight trails, cruises at higher speeds at lower RPM than Viper.Uses more fuel for sure, I use around 4 liters more in a 160 km day than my son on his 2015 Viper LTX. New body panels much easier to remove and reinstall, 2800 kms so far on belt.

Thanks for the responses....Sounds like the T-Cat maybe the way to go. Now insurance is another issue...

I tried a winder the other day and all I can say is hold on tight!! 

My 2 cents....I'm on a 137" SW LTX-SE.  Coming off of a Viper LTX-DX before that, and Apexes before that.

I ride 99.9% trail so weight isn't an issue for me.

I have over 3000kms so far, and no issues.  

Mileage ways, I'm only about a litre or so off my riding partner at fill ups, and he's on a 1200 Doo.  I also ride with a few Poo guys, their 2 smokes are a bit better, but not good enough to "not" fill up when I do.

This sled is anything and everything you can ask for.  Does it have some issues?  Yeah, a few, but there's no deal breakers for me.

It'll push in the corners a bit in loose snow, but so did all my other Yammy's.  

I'm going to try the T-Cat skis next year, as I hear they're better then a the Tuner's.

The Turbo is amazing.  When you punch it, hang on.  It's like being launched off of an aircraft carrier!

On the lake, you can have lotsa fun!  

When someone thinks they're going to pull you down the lake, and they go by you at 160 or so...all you do is punch it, and you're by them in no time, and still pulling at 180+.

Oh, and on the railbeds and forest access roads.....you won't be able to wipe the smile off of your face.

2 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

Please don't tempt me.

I'm also tempted, but can't justify the $20k price and I know I don't need that much power..I have kids I need to come home too. My viper is fast enough and I don't use all the power...

I'm still trying to find the limits of my Apex. Carefully.

I'm sure there's been some improvements in the 10 years since it's birth, but dang.

Just dang.

Just got back from two days in Cochrane on the TCat. I'm hooked. Fuel mileage is almost identical to my XF7000. Docile at trail speeds, but hold on when you let her feed!! Hard to say what it will be like to ride around home with the tighter twister trails, but it doesn't seem noticeably heavier than the XF or my wife's F11.

A BIG thanks to McCauley Equipment in Orillia for the demo, Iv'e never had anyone tell me to just go ahead and take their most expensive, fastest sled before....I almost felt like a thief!! They now have a customer for life!!

Only concern I have is not being able to get 91 octane....

25 minutes ago, Micar said:

Just got back from two days in Cochrane on the TCat. I'm hooked. Fuel mileage is almost identical to my XF7000. Docile at trail speeds, but hold on when you let her feed!! Hard to say what it will be like to ride around home with the tighter twister trails, but it doesn't seem noticeably heavier than the XF or my wife's F11.

A BIG thanks to McCauley Equipment in Orillia for the demo, Iv'e never had anyone tell me to just go ahead and take their most expensive, fastest sled before....I almost felt like a thief!! They now have a customer for life!!

Only concern I have is not being able to get 91 octane....

No need to worry about that, had a couple times where I had to put 89 octane in my sidewinder and had no issues, didn't even notice any difference in performance.  Did you have any issues with over heating?  When I was up there earlier in the week and the trails were hard and icy I was having issues with the sidewinder overheating, probably would of been alright if I was studded or had ice scratchers.

If you can't get premium fuel, just take it easy on the loud lever until you get a premium refill. We had times when we were out that we couldn't get premium fuel and my youngest son with his D+D 300hp just went easy until we found premium. No worries and it had a pretty hard life. No boom.

10 hours ago, yamaha06 said:

No need to worry about that, had a couple times where I had to put 89 octane in my sidewinder and had no issues, didn't even notice any difference in performance.  Did you have any issues with over heating?  When I was up there earlier in the week and the trails were hard and icy I was having issues with the sidewinder overheating, probably would of been alright if I was studded or had ice scratchers.

No studs on this one either. It ran on the warmer side of the middle of the bar on the gauge and would be almost to the H after a short stop, dropped back quickly tho. I was surprised we didn't run into overheat. Honestly we didn't go much more than 65mph for a few short pulls....I hate to borrow or lend stuff and I was terrified of damaging something I don't own....yet!!

6 minutes ago, Micar said:

No studs on this one either. It ran on the warmer side of the middle of the bar on the gauge and would be almost to the H after a short stop, dropped back quickly tho. I was surprised we didn't run into overheat. Honestly we didn't go much more than 65mph for a few short pulls....I hate to borrow or lend stuff and I was terrified of damaging something I don't own....yet!!

Sounds like another one is on the fence???

11 minutes ago, Micar said:

I wouldn't worry to much about it if your insured. I've put 100s of miles on their demo sleds and will continue too. I want to get real world experience on a sled im going to purchase.  She is a bit reluctant on giving me the new 800 but if I'm going to purchase one in the future I want a few days with it in different conditions. 

They have treated is extremely well the last 20 years. 

Archived