Red Pine Lake ( Old Route ) Ice Alert

The lake we're on has about 6" of water on the main ice with a thin ice layer on top of the water and water levels are rising. Freezes at night then thaws again during the day. Not a good situation. According to Parks Canada water levels are at normal to above normal for this time of year depending on which lake you look at. Last year when we pulled the stakes there was 4" of water on the ice and we saw lots of open spots. Not doing that again this year.

8 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

how much damage has been done to the ice so far? lots of water and slush on top imagine?

There was about 6 or so inches of slush loose snow.  It all froze rock hard last night.  There will be minimal lube in the mornings.  On a side note all trails are now yellow.

41 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

The lake we're on has about 6" of water on the main ice with a thin ice layer on top of the water and water levels are rising. Freezes at night then thaws again during the day. Not a good situation. According to Parks Canada water levels are at normal to above normal for this time of year depending on which lake you look at. Last year when we pulled the stakes there was 4" of water on the ice and we saw lots of open spots. Not doing that again this year.

We should pull them now then. If things improve, we can put them back. I'm ok for the extra duties.

It's up to the HCSA directors to decide when to pull the stakes. Looks like more cold on the way after this week of warm weather.

3 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

It's up to the HCSA directors to decide when to pull the stakes. Looks like more cold on the way after this week of warm weather.

That was understood. Just throwing in my support.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't pulled any. I pulled them last year, with help from my son, from Hawk, Clear and Red Pine. Cayuna and I staked them this year. Given my experience from last year and the weird weather we've had this year I'm not volunteering to pull stakes this year. I'm guessing the lakes are all still staked but they are marked as red, same as the trails.

Lakes had lots of standing water on them yesterday then flash freeze last night. No idea how thick the top layer of ice is or the quality of ice in general as we've had lots of warm, wet weather. I'm going on a bit of a recon ride tomorrow morning to check trails on this side of HCSA.

Findings from recon ride:

Trails were in better shape than I thought they would be, but only in sections. B north of Beech River the land owner has closed the gate and therefore closed the trail. Bakers pond has glazed over. Some of Bakers pond is ok but I stopped at a section that I knew was historically wet. Walked over to the questionable section and broke through the inch of ice up to my knee. I imagine that if I had travelled at speed I would have made it across but I wasn't willing to chance it.

West end of the system isn't looking good enough to groom, in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

Findings from recon ride:

Trails were in better shape than I thought they would be, but only in sections. B north of Beech River the land owner has closed the gate and therefore closed the trail. Bakers pond has glazed over. Some of Bakers pond is ok but I stopped at a section that I knew was historically wet. Walked over to the questionable section and broke through the inch of ice up to my knee. I imagine that if I had travelled at speed I would have made it across but I wasn't willing to chance it.

West end of the system isn't looking good enough to groom, in my opinion.

I thought I was hearing things today... seems to be a rather large woman singing "It's Over ".

Cayuna, you are correct. There have been several sightings of her today alone! She/they just keep climbing back in the groomers!! And that Damn singing!!

Livin'

28 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

I thought I was hearing things today... seems to be a rather large woman singing "It's Over ".

For us if we want to ride from home, but based on what I saw today I'm betting that the trails that are showing up as yellow and green are actually pretty good. Just means that we would have to trailer.

19 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

For us if we want to ride from home, but based on what I saw today I'm betting that the trails that are showing up as yellow and green are actually pretty good. Just means that we would have to trailer.

Being a bit of a purist, when I can't sled from my back yard, it's either over or hasn't begun. I'm still reeling from the lightning - quick melt down from absolutely stellar conditions . Having said that, I'll squeeze a few rides out of a bad situation though and load the trailer. Btw, If you want to hook up let me know. Always game. 

Spoke to landowner, he called me back. We can open the gate if we need the trail, no issues, just trying to  keep ATV's out.

Livin'

5 minutes ago, livin' on the b103 said:

Spoke to landowner, he called me back. We can open the gate if we need the trail, no issues, just trying to  keep ATV's out.

Livin'

Fantastic news. Thanks !

Archived