Warm Weekend Feb 18-20

Midwestont

we are in dubreuilville now... it was close to +12 today. there is ALOT OF SNOW, in the bush, trails are great still. fuel, town access will be harder each warm day, until fresh snow can help. with the warm temps the clubs CANT GROOM, Like they do when it is colder. DONT COMPLAIN, DONT EXPECT ALOT FROM THE CLUBS, THEY ARE DOING THE BEST THEY CAN DO... AND GROOMING ABOVE FREEZING WILL DO MORE HARM TO THE TRAIL THAN GOOD. ski

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-02-18 at 6:28 PM, Hkb82 said:

Rode mon tues wed this week and pretty much left tracks on any open trails that were around me. Not going to centre out any clubs trails but Hit  a few very very thin trails with exposed rocks and a couple large water holes. Old lady not to happy to cross the biggest one (maybe 35 feet) and pretty deep. She was super pumped on the other side though. Lol I find it hard to believe that those same trails are open at the end of today. Can't help but feel free weekend bs is playing a part or maybe clubs trying to get groomer hours in. I sure ain't going out in +8 weather but also herd a lot of sleds out today. So sad I am sure it will be the end of the local trails. Glad I bought a trailer this year. Best investment ever if you live in the south. 

Wow clubs have still not closed these trails I was mentioning. This is just crazy. Those same trails needed to be near  green before they opened them for the regular pass holders (about two weeks ago) but now they keep open. Makes zero sense to me. I actually saw a guy today roosting rocks down the side of the road today on my way to town. Best part and how you can tell he was an ahole was he had a buddy behind him. Some people are just brain dead. 

They'll have to be pretty much dirt before they close them on freeloader weekend. Sorry OFSC but is screwing your paying customers really a good plan?

We should be flooding ofsc with emails and complaints. Maybe they will listen and change dates or?????? Maybe not

Not because of the unfortunate weather this Family Day Long Weekend but Try Our Trails is wrong for a variety of reasons.

This 'promotion' needs to be suspended for a few years and brought back possibly on an irregular basis and certainly not on Family Day Long Weekend.

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

Not because of the unfortunate weather this Family Day Long Weekend but Try Our Trails is wrong for a variety of reasons.

This 'promotion' needs to be suspended for a few years and brought back possibly on an irregular basis and certainly not on Family Day Long Weekend.

Why not make it three days during Xmas break. Give family's a break and let them ride with their son or daughter while school is out. More likely to buy a permit, if they can get out sooner in season. Another option is make it same weekend as Quebec free weekend, then riders can't double dip. I think it is a good thing to do, but defiantly not on long weekend in Feb. Way too late in season. 

I don't agree with the concept of giving free weekends, period. If you're going to give away free riding, which I think is wrong, why not just give away a free 2 day pass. People can order it online and use it at the time that suits them best or offer first time permit buyers a discounted permit.

11 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

first time permit buyers a discounted permit.

I think that is a way better idea to draw new people into the sport. 

As a sledder recently returning to the fun, my perspective is that it's quite the leap of faith to get in to the sport.

I'm amazed the manufacturers and retailers aren't doing a LOT more to promote the product they profit from.

Imagine a car dealership that couldn't provide a prospective customer with a test drive?

That's just making the choice between products after you have a license.

I went to the Yamaha power tour stop 2 years ago, expecting more.

They did have an array of machines, and a helpful crew, but lining up, signing up, and waiting to go on a 15 minute (at best) loop in a guided, tight group of sleds at less than 50kph isn't a way to get a feel for a $15k investment.

9 hours ago, jrhz06 said:

I don't agree with the concept of giving free weekends, period. If you're going to give away free riding, which I think is wrong, why not just give away a free 2 day pass. People can order it online and use it at the time that suits them best or offer first time permit buyers a discounted permit.

Unfortunately I think this would just open it up to more cheating by printing multiple passes and create an entire season of enforcement headaches. It is much more difficult to check printed passes than the normal decal, even more so with decreased police presence on the trails.  Several riders have posted elsewhere of traveling over 2,500 Kms and never being stopped or checked for valid Trail Permits.

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

Unfortunately I think this would just open it up to more cheating by printing multiple passes and create an entire season of enforcement headaches. It is much more difficult to check printed passes than the normal decal, even more so with decreased police presence on the trails.  Several riders have posted elsewhere of traveling over 2,500 Kms and never being stopped or checked for valid Trail Permits.

I see your point, I haven't been stopped or checked in 3 seasons. Haven't even seen a patroller or OPP.

4 hours ago, jrhz06 said:

I see your point, I haven't been stopped or checked in 3 seasons. Haven't even seen a patroller or OPP.

I have been stopped once in 1750 kms so far this season. It was just outside of Mattawa on a Friday night. Two police officers in Cruisers one mile apart. One at the end of A112A coming into town and the other on the road leading to bridge crossing. Last Year in Elliot lake and points north, no enforcement in 800 or so km's I rode up there.

For those of you curious about the weather,  it's currently -1°C in Hearst.  Calling for +3, but I don't think it'll get there.  I believe it'll stay just around the freezing mark today, and cooler temps are expected tonight and solid Minus temps from then on.  Meaning if you're planning to come this way, keep coming.  Watch for running water beside the trail near normal wet spots, but things should be good.

Plus two here in Echo bay and Sault this morning with spotty rain and supposed to hit plus 4 . Yesterday was heavy rain in early morning, even way up near Wawa.

The highway was closed for half the day yesterday as they dealt with a highway 17 washout just north of Wawa. (I am trying to find out if it was same place that took out half the Northern Motel a few years ago. ) The rivers and streams are running hard now ! But supposed to go back to zero degrees C on Friday, one degree difference on Friday will determine if we get rain or snow.

Yes it's the same place, same culverts, same problem, same stupid government that can't learn that their culverts are just too damned small for spring melt.

Wow... just saw a report on the Barrie news regarding the snowmobile trail conditions. Depressing. Mud, mud and more mud. Stick a fork in it unless you're willing to travel and right now who knows how far.

Yup same with us over on the Bruce. Poop and mud. With no sign of freezing temps in the days to come I think winter is over around the southern parts. Hope the north can hold on for a couple more weeks so I can get one last rip. 

Glad I went out Monday.

It's 11C here, cooler tomorrow, but 14C and rain Sunday.

I think we're boned...

P1000304.JPG

P1000306.JPG

I just got a weather alert for a rainfall warning for the Midland, Port Severn, Orillia area

Unfortunately we have a situation where one of our NY sledders purchased a $140 Multi-Day Pass and drove 6 hours to find our trails closed.  He had been checking weather and trail conditions but this week's rain made closure necessary.

Probably best to buy an Early, Early Bird at $187.50 to cover such situations.

Probably lots of southern buyers never got to use their full season TP.

25 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Unfortunately we have a situation where one of our NY sledders purchased a $140 Multi-Day Pass and drove 6 hours to find our trails closed.  He had been checking weather and trail conditions but this week's rain made closure necessary.

Probably best to buy an Early, Early Bird at $187.50 to cover such situations.

Probably lots of southern buyers never got to use their full season TP.

I always just buy the early full season pass for the above reasons. The last two years I have rode about 9 days total and not one mile in southern Ontario. Our trails haven't been open in two years now.  Local trails are already disappearing around here for a bunch of different reasons. Use to be 1 km from the trails, now I'am about 10 kms away. Previous trail went buy our property since OFSC came out. Just shows you any trail can close for good.  I love the sport and as long as I have the funds, I will continue to trailer to ride, when I can.  Will keep sleds longer probabily 8 or so years now, especially with the four stroke. 

When I was staying at Mattawa golf and ski about three weeks ago. The owner there told me he own's about 10 km's of top A pipe line trail. He says he and owner of speckle lake lodge, started the rap tour many years ago (early 90's). I thought that was cool. Just shows you, if these business ever change hands and close, trail could be gone for good too. He isn't thrilled riders go all over the pipe line trail either. It is all mostly private land.

Archived