Warm Weekend Feb 18-20

Midwestont

How do you guys think the trails will hold up this weekend?  Got trip planned to go from Sudbury to Soo to Timmins and back but the forecast has me nervous.

Thanks.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on route, you might be OK Sudbury to the Soo.  The southern routes were low on snow a couple of weeks ago, but better by last weekend.  The warmup might hurt them, though.  Try staying north and you should be better.

We are heading to Huntsville area this weekend, and unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if most of the trails in that area are closed by Sun morning. I really hope I'm wrong.

4 minutes ago, gobills said:

With all the freeloaders there going to be trashed.

Some trails were trashed by Saturday night last weekend and it was just below zero. Had to wait 20 mins for gas at head lake, since like 20 sleds were filling up Friday morning. It was a slow ride back into hailburton via B and B103 on saturday. The trail was good early in the morning. Might be worth the price to go and ride the forest on sunday, instead of ofsc trails.  

Clubs should close all the trails until the freeloader weekend is over.  Save the trails for the paying permit holders.

Thanks for the replies... think we'll try and knock off the south section Saturday and hopefully the further north trails hold up the rest of the trip.  The free pass holders will likely stick close to the cities and southern Ontario trails.  Cottage country could get chewed up... best to head further north this weekend.

the soo is calling for 7 days above freezing, starting Saturday... water crossings may open up, plowed roads, crossings, fuel, food, lodging access might suck.  they have a ton of snow so once out of town on the real trail you should have any issues but, be aware... it's melting, and you could have to ride some bare pavement to get back home. Ski

We are holding our breath, we have a week vacation we have moved twice because of warm spells and now have to take this week coming up with all the warm weather. We are praying the lake routes and trails hold up along with the road sections of the D101b and the area of our club Happy Wanderers. It does show it below freezing every night so hopeful the whole week isn't ruined. 

getting our riding in before weekend warm up

weekend is calling for warm temps, cold drinks and watching Hockey Day in Canada visiting with family............besides i have to work monday anyway

Might be a good time to slap on a set of old steel skis ....  

19 hours ago, Domino said:

Clubs should close all the trails until the freeloader weekend is over.  Save the trails for the paying permit holders.

I agree that clubs should close trails for weekend with warm temps but not because its the free weekend....

Too bad it wasnt just sunday for the free day. At least Saturday would still be decent for the riders that are unable to ride during the week.  Or another wknd all together, like in june. 

43 minutes ago, Diceman said:

I agree that clubs should close trails for weekend with warm temps but not because its the free weekend....

I'm not a supporter of the free weekend, but I understand your view.  This type of season makes the free weekend frustrating when the free weekend could cause the loss of trails earlier in the regular season.

Heading to Quebec for the weekend, temps look decent and traffic will be a lot lighter! 

Trash our trails weekend. Agreed. We would normally close in some sort of vain attempt to save our trails but there is definitely pressure to leave them open. I hope persons ( and maybe I'm giving mankind too much credit) have or will make alternate plans to terrorize a different district. This will be only the second or possibly third weekend of decent sledding this winter and the permit buyers are now being pushed off the trails by the freebee's.

19 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

The northern  corridor  du  Nord  looks like it will be just fine...

Gaspe does too! Leaving at 5 AM Sunday.  Hope you guys have a good trip Jeff. I'm sure you are looking as forward to yours as I am to ours.

My son and I are heading up to Barry's Bay and riding to Pembroke on Friday, with a stop in Eganville for the races, then we will be riding back and forth for Sat. and Sun. and heading home on Monday from Pembroke to Barry's Bay. I am hoping it does not get too warm.  If you go the races drop by say hello, we will be in the pits, my buddy has a sled in the vintage category, his sled number is 566.

21 hours ago, AxysRob said:

We are holding our breath, we have a week vacation we have moved twice because of warm spells and now have to take this week coming up with all the warm weather. We are praying the lake routes and trails hold up along with the road sections of the D101b and the area of our club Happy Wanderers. It does show it below freezing every night so hopeful the whole week isn't ruined. 

d101 B was ploughed heading south out of dorset towards Baysville last week. We had some fresh snow, so it was rideable and smooth. With warm weather, it could be toast if it was ploughed again.

Archived