SLOW THE F*%K DOWN

sledzz

Met lots of douche bags, mostly groups of guys at any age, that thought they were on a snow cross track, with one way traffic, using both sides of the trails. It was mostly groups of guys with the 3 out front trying to prove that they were "the best" riders because they were the fastest. To be honest they were the most out of control. Slow down, there are families out there trying to enjoy the sport as well. If one of those "leaders" of the groups had of stopped, I would have literally kicked their ass all over the trail. Rant over

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lots of them over in in Muskoka today,gets boring having to wonder whats coming around the corners all the time

I especially like those guys of the same group who run down the middle and signal to you how many are behind, move the he'll over first!!. Rode those same trails, same issues

Groups usually the worst.  You see two things most times, 1- first guy way the hell out front and the rest trying like hell to catch up. 2- everyone in a tight group almost on top of each other.  Cant say ive seen as much this year but i also havent been out much during busy times as much.  

Not all groups ride like this , but the majority of the incidents ive seen have been groups, and not your solo or couple sleds riding together.  

7 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

lots of them over in in Muskoka today,gets boring having to wonder whats coming around the corners all the time

Yes there was lots. One group i had to actually stop and let the first 3 of them cut "their" corner. One other thing i did notice was when we got stuck behind a group of slower folks that they were actually cutting corners too!!!! With 5 inches of fresh snow on the trail if everyone sticks to their side, both lanes would get packed and we can all go around the corner comfortably. I dont understand why we cant run 2 lanes? It baffles me!

5 minutes ago, Steve F6 said:

Yes there was lots. One group i had to actually stop and let the first 3 of them cut "their" corner. One other thing i did notice was when we got stuck behind a group of slower folks that they were actually cutting corners too!!!! With 5 inches of fresh snow on the trail if everyone sticks to their side, both lanes would get packed and we can all go around the corner comfortably. I dont understand why we cant run 2 lanes? It baffles me!

I wasn't out this weekend, but it's maddening that halfway thru the day and the outside of corners are untouched.

seen the opp sleds out before and after all the crazies ,they must been out just for a ride

The type of rider stated above is also prevalent on the trails up here as well.

Southern trails can be deadly too. Farm land can be fast running and two side by side coming over the crest of a blind hill like they are crossing the finish line at the public sno cross event and all you can see is belly pan and snow dust isn't uncommon either. 

Leaving Wasaga and headed to Port Severn the C runs along side 27 for a bit and goes through Perkinsfield, Wyebridge. There's a group of about 12. They come running up behind us so we stop and let them pass. Not long until we pass them while they are stopped. Before you know it the lead clown is standing and braaaping on our tail again. We stop and let them by again. We were always at the right edge so they could have passed without us stopping. Surprisingly we pass them again. That was the last time we pulled off and stopped to let them pass.

9 hours ago, soupkids said:

The type of rider stated above is also prevalent on the trails up here as well.

They are everywhere Soup. I don't think it will ever change, until the day there are no more trails.

Seeing a lot of these posts, because someone isn't driving your speed, or your preferred speed, it seems they are always listed as out of control and all over the place. There are plenty of people who can ride at a good and safe fast clip, in full control, just putting that out there

Yup.

Safe isn't always about the speed you travel.

I've seen people doing a 3 point turn in a blind spot. He sure wasn't moving fast, just not safely.

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Seeing a lot of these posts, because someone isn't driving your speed, or your preferred speed, it seems they are always listed as out of control and all over the place. There are plenty of people who can ride at a good and safe fast clip, in full control, just putting that out there

so what is a good speed?

33 minutes ago, Diceman said:

so what is a good speed?

I wonder if it's the 130 kph I heard one person bragging about on the C trail outside Elmvale.

2 hours ago, Diceman said:

so what is a good speed?

What's comfortable for yourself, where you're riding within your capabilities and able to react to oncoming traffic, trail obstacles, etc. and be able to control your sled accordingly, WITHOUT damaging the trail while doing so.  The actual Speed is irrelevent.  It's the speed relative to the operators' abilities in the given circumstances.

4 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Very true ^^^^

I mentioned this in another thread and I find plenty of people that are not riding "fast" get spooked when you round a corner to find that to their surprise there others on the trail, they grab a handful of brake and do more harm than good....

Also come across the folks out for a slow casual ride and are completely on the wrong lane on the corner....I generally do not keep track of these things, but was confronted by two of them just this weekend (riding Yamaha's)....

And you also get the fast, aggressive...sometimes out of control riders....

Seems to be lots of deaths this year, as with each year....just how many of the deaths, or injuries are actually caused from head on collisions or a rider hitting a tree as a result of another "aggressive rider"....serious question as I have no idea.

so what is a good speed?

Is there such a thing....depends on your skill, trails, locations.....

People will always ride beyond their level and people will always ride too slow for some, honestly cannot see that changing anytime soon and probably the biggest reason so many try to only ride Mon to Thurs and/or night time.

so what is a good speed?

Way too many variables to say.

my father is 69, his abilities and capabilities as a rider are not what they used to be, I can very very very safely ride quicker than him in any trail condition without ever being "out of control", or even close to it

I'm not too concerned about guys who want to open it up on the straight sections. Rail lines are a great place to bump up your speed without endangering others.  They would be a horrible bore at 50kph.  What I would like to see is enforcement of speed limits on corners.  That is where 95% of your near misses and anxiety occur.   It isn't a tough thing to ask.  I always slow down at corners and so often the idiots that meet me there still walk the earth only due to the fact that they didn't meet their mirror image coming towards them.  Also, passing...  Why is it that some clowns have to keep her pinned as they pass you with one hand on a rutted trail telling me that sleds are behind them when we are on a 2 km straight section and I can already see every headlight coming towards me?   It's crazy.  Sometimes I wonder for how many of these people is it too late to start wearing a helmet?  

With the type of trails in southern ontario

Multidirectional  and many blind corners there is only one rule for speed and safety

If you can't stop in half the distance that you can see then you are driving like an idiot

It is only a matter of time until you hit something or worse yet injur someone

Simple 

5 minutes ago, speedy said:

I'm not too concerned about guys who want to open it up on the straight sections. Rail lines are a great place to bump up your speed without endangering others.  They would be a horrible bore at 50kph.  What I would like to see is enforcement of speed limits on corners.  That is where 95% of your near misses and anxiety occur.   It isn't a tough thing to ask.  I always slow down at corners and so often the idiots that meet me there still walk the earth only due to the fact that they didn't meet their mirror image coming towards them.  Also, passing...  Why is it that some clowns have to keep her pinned as they pass you with one hand on a rutted trail telling me that sleds are behind them when we are on a 2 km straight section and I can already see every headlight coming towards me?   It's crazy.  Sometimes I wonder for how many of these people is it too late to start wearing a helmet?  

good points...

1 hour ago, Denis007 said:

What's comfortable for yourself, where you're riding within your capabilities and able to react to oncoming traffic, trail obstacles, etc. and be able to control your sled accordingly, WITHOUT damaging the trail while doing so.  The actual Speed is irrelevent.  It's the speed relative to the operators' abilities in the given circumstances.

I have heard lots of those who like to go as fast as they can make comments like "you aren't pushing the limits of your ability unless you have an accident or two". The problem with that is for those pushing the limits of their abilities could result in me being their next victim. Fortunately it seems that often it is just the person pushing their limits and things like a tree. I wonder if this was a result of someone riding within their limits at a good speed?

Capture.JPG.d77dc382153f07a106016cbedd3c131b.JPG

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

I have heard lots of those who like to go as fast as they can make comments like "you aren't pushing the limits of your ability unless you have an accident or two". The problem with that is for those pushing the limits of their abilities could result in me being their next victim. Fortunately it seems that often it is just the person pushing their limits and things like a tree. I wonder if this was a result of someone riding within their limits at a good speed?

Capture.JPG.d77dc382153f07a106016cbedd3c131b.JPG

I don't believe in pushing your limits, but pushing to it is fine under each circumstance

guys with heart conditions should stay off too, lord knows I could be their next victim should they have a medical episode

Archived