OPINIONS ON A 2017 ARCTIC CAT ZR 5000 LXR

thetorches

I see Country Corners has these on sale for $8999.00 + frt. pdi, taxes. It has the Suzuki 1056 4 stroke. I here it is a  very dependable engine. Would rather have the yami 4 stroke, but is more money. Anybody have one of these or know anything about them. Thanks.

Rode with a guy yesterday that has one and he loves it.

I've heard lots of good comments about them.

We don't have the ZR 5000 but we do have the 2015 ZR 7000 now which is the Yamaha engine. One for me and one for my wife. Also bought from Country Corners. They have been absolutely great people to deal with. I dealt with Scott for the purchase. My old sled was a 2008 Jag Z1 with the Suzuki 4 stroke engine. I loved the throaty growl of the 4 stroke Suzuki and I would basically call it bullet proof. When we sold the Jag Z1 it had 10,000 km on it. We had the usual routine maintenance done by WildBill. Essentially oil change and filter at the end of each season. Only once did I ever have a problem with it. We were in the Parry Sound area and it just wouldn't start. I took it in to WildBill and we found the problem was Jack N Jills (now defunct Midland dealer) had put in the wrong spark plugs. That was very early on and never had a problem with the engine after that. I don't know how the more recent Suzuki engines are on fuel compared to the Yamaha engines but comparing the 2008 Jag Z1 to the 2015 ZR 7000 the ZR 7000 does a fair bit better on fuel than the Jag Z1 did.

Edited by 02Sled

I rode a few hundred miles with a 5000 cat , after 3 tanks of fuel l averaged about 25% more on each tank on my new Yamaha. Now that it is broke in it has only gotten slightly better, the turbo makes it easy to burn a bit more. I think for the price you can not go wrong buying that cat 5000!

55 minutes ago, northstar said:

I rode a few hundred miles with a 5000 cat , after 3 tanks of fuel l averaged about 25% more on each tank on my new Yamaha. Now that it is broke in it has only gotten slightly better, the turbo makes it easy to burn a bit more. I think for the price you can not go wrong buying that cat 5000!

pretty solid sled great engine 

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

We don't have the ZR 5000 but we do have the 2015 ZR 7000 now which is the Yamaha engine. One for me and one for my wife. Also bought from Country Corners. They have been absolutely great people to deal with. I dealt with Scott for the purchase. My old sled was a 2008 Jag Z1 with the Suzuki 4 stroke engine. I loved the throaty growl of the 4 stroke Suzuki and I would basically call it bullet proof. When we sold the Jag Z1 it had 10,000 km on it. We had the usual routine maintenance done by WildBill. Essentially oil change and filter at the end of each season. Only once did I ever have a problem with it. We were in the Parry Sound area and it just wouldn't start. I took it in to WildBill and we found the problem was Jack N Jills (now defunct Midland dealer) had put in the wrong spark plugs. That was very early on and never had a problem with the engine after that. I don't know how the more recent Suzuki engines are on fuel compared to the Yamaha engines but comparing the 2008 Jag Z1 to the 2015 ZR 7000 the ZR 7000 does a fair bit better on fuel than the Jag Z1 did.

I'd prefer the 7000. At the end of last season they were on sale for $10395.00. It's a season later and there going for $11595.00. I seen a 7000 at the snowmobile show and they were asking $9999.00, I think it was Country corners also. Should of grabbed it then but wanted to wait one more season. You snooze you loose I guess.

Thanks for everyone's input. Don't know whether to get the 5000 now or wait til the end of season and see if I can get a good deal on a 7000.

5 minutes ago, thetorches said:

I'd prefer the 7000. At the end of last season they were on sale for $10395.00. It's a season later and there going for $11595.00. I seen a 7000 at the snowmobile show and they were asking $9999.00, I think it was Country corners also. Should of grabbed it then but wanted to wait one more season. You snooze you loose I guess.

Call scott and make him an offer. They move a huge number of sleds. He can't say no unless you try. We have the ZR 7000 El Tigre and so far they are great. Plenty of power for me. My wife really likes the heated seat and it's growing on me. 

It's no speedster but is a solid engine that will run forever. Great deal for sure. Good chassis as well.

This discussion is eerily familiar to what I've seen before. The Suzuki 4 stroke has been around for about 10 years, both with and without turbo. You would be hard pressed to find anybody who has had a problem with one. I would not hesitate to buy a sled with the Suzuki instead of the Yamaha. JMHO.

• Like 1

Good long lasting engine, BUT it sounds like a cross between a misfiring tractor engine and a sluge pump. With the turbo version the engine sounds completely  different.  

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. Got some quotes on  two sleds. Best prices were from Country Corners. Can get the 5000 lxr 137 for $10,994.00 out the door. The 7000 lxr 137 is $14,009.00. Would love to get the yammy engine but can't see paying an extra $3000.00 for it.

Edited by thetorches

Think of the amortized $3,000. How long do you plan on keeping the sled. Five years is $600 per year but then you need to factor in the increased resale value of the sled when you sell it which would drive that annual cost down even further. Depending on how long you keep it for you could conceivably recover that $3,000 in additional resale value toward your next sled.

Sounds like an idea. Was thinking of keeping it for two or three years and then trade it in or sell it and get the Yamaha engine then. Could use the extra three grand right now. Wife wants to go to Europe this summer, need a new roof and have to get some RRSP'S. Country corners said they bought a pile of the 5000's, so will think about it for a few days. Thanks for info.

Sure read about a lot of starting issues with the Yamaha and none about the Suzuki. I'm sure the Yamaha is a great engine but is it really worth 30 percent more than the Suzuki?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thetorches said:

Sounds like an idea. Was thinking of keeping it for two or three years and then trade it in or sell it and get the Yamaha engine then. Could use the extra three grand right now. Wife wants to go to Europe this summer, need a new roof and have to get some RRSP'S. Country corners said they bought a pile of the 5000's, so will think about it for a few days. Thanks for info.

Country Corners buys up left over inventory from the factory in huge volumes each year and blows them out at really good prices. That's how and where my wife and I got our 2015 ZR7000 El Tigre sleds at the end of the 2015 season. One thing to consider is that what is available as surplus varies each year. When we got the 7000's there weren't any of the 5000's available at anything near bargain prices. If you buy the 5000 with the plan to go with the 7000 in a couple years there may not be any bargain inventory available and you may end up looking at a much higher premium price than a $3K difference. You have to watch your timing on making a decision. Part of the price you would be paying  would be a factory rebate that will end on a specific day and if you miss the window you will miss the price. If they replace it with another rebate it may well be less and put the price higher. I would check when the rebate ends so you know when you have until to make up your mind. Are you dealing with Scott.

5 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

Sure read about a lot of starting issues with the Yamaha and none about the Suzuki. I'm sure the Yamaha is a great engine but is it really worth 30 percent more than the Suzuki?

There WERE some extreme cold starting issues with the Yamaha engines but that has been addressed with a reflash of the ECU. There is no doubt the Suzuki engine is very reliable. I had it on my last sled and it was bullet proof. I find the Yamaha triple has more get up and go than my Suzuki twin did.

46 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I find the Yamaha triple has more get up and go than my Suzuki twin did.

The 7000 is indeed known to have more pep than the 5000. But that alone does not mean it is necessarily a better motor.

02Sled, you likely have ten more horsepower with the 7000 over the 5000, but you are also now in the procross chassis, which is a lot lighter than the twin spar chassis you had before. Plus your 7000 is 8 years newer and perhaps fresher than the engine in your old sled.

Are there other differences, aside from the motors? I've read that the 5000 used to have a one inch lug track, as opposed to the 1.25 lug on the 7000....

TheTorches is in a bit of a tough spot, unless he is able to test ride each model to do a proper comparison, to decide if one sled is worth 3000 more than the other.

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1

I bought the 5000 last fall while my buddy bought the 7000...very happy with mine although it is my first sled so hard to judge...never got a chance to ride the 7000 yet...curious that there are not any torque dyno figures published...in the motorcycle world a twin would make more torque than a triple...

I know I would find it a tough decision in many ways. Especially after having no complaints with my old Suzuki. My understanding is that the Suzuki engine has undergone very little in modifications as it's a don't fix what isn't broken scenario. I've been lead to believe there may have been some modifications on fuel delivery and definitely on clutching.

I guess one of the things for him to decide is he already said he would like to have the Yamaha engine but how badly does he want it really. As I ponder it myself for a $3000 difference even considering I don't flip sleds every couple of years like some do I suspect I would maybe be opting for the 5000 Suzuki. Actually the 5000 LXR is what I first started looking for at the end of 2015 and couldn't find any. Then I came across what could be called a sweatheart of a deal on the 7000 that I couldn't turn down.

It really comes down to personal preference as I think they are both solid motors. One thing to maybe consider is the placement of the battery. I don't know where it is on the 5000 but on the 7000 it is under the seat. Personally I find it inconvenient since you need to remove a torx screw and lift the seat to access it. On my old Suzuki engine Jag Z1 it was easily accessed just inside the right side panel. I've also found on my 7000 there isn't room for the spare belt on top of the clutch guard like there has been on my past sleds. None of these are deal breakers.

One thing to do for sure though is swap out the tunnel bag at the time of purchase and maybe get a bigger windshield and mirrors... oh and a spare belt. It's the cheapest and best time to get it done.

I've had great service from Country Corners, in particular Scott (the boss) and Brock in service.

I would just get the 5000 and trade the sled in 4 or so years. Get rid of it by 10,000kms. Not much work required and better resale value. Which it is over 10,000km's doesn't really matter what it is, the value will tank.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I know I would find it a tough decision in many ways. Especially after having no complaints with my old Suzuki. My understanding is that the Suzuki engine has undergone very little in modifications as it's a don't fix what isn't broken scenario. I've been lead to believe there may have been some modifications on fuel delivery and definitely on clutching.

I guess one of the things for him to decide is he already said he would like to have the Yamaha engine but how badly does he want it really. As I ponder it myself for a $3000 difference even considering I don't flip sleds every couple of years like some do I suspect I would maybe be opting for the 5000 Suzuki. Actually the 5000 LXR is what I first started looking for at the end of 2015 and couldn't find any. Then I came across what could be called a sweatheart of a deal on the 7000 that I couldn't turn down.

It really comes down to personal preference as I think they are both solid motors. One thing to maybe consider is the placement of the battery. I don't know where it is on the 5000 but on the 7000 it is under the seat. Personally I find it inconvenient since you need to remove a torx screw and lift the seat to access it. On my old Suzuki engine Jag Z1 it was easily accessed just inside the right side panel. I've also found on my 7000 there isn't room for the spare belt on top of the clutch guard like there has been on my past sleds. None of these are deal breakers.

One thing to do for sure though is swap out the tunnel bag at the time of purchase and maybe get a bigger windshield and mirrors... oh and a spare belt. It's the cheapest and best time to get it done.

I've had great service from Country Corners, in particular Scott (the boss) and Brock in service.

It  comes with the mid-height windshield, which is 13 in.

2 hours ago, Blake G said:

The 7000 is indeed known to have more pep than the 5000. But that alone does not mean it is necessarily a better motor.

02Sled, you likely have ten more horsepower with the 7000 over the 5000, but you are also now in the procross chassis, which is a lot lighter than the twin spar chassis you had before. Plus your 7000 is 8 years newer and perhaps fresher than the engine in your old sled.

Are there other differences, aside from the motors? I've read that the 5000 used to have a one inch lug track, as opposed to the 1.25 lug on the 7000....

TheTorches is in a bit of a tough spot, unless he is able to test ride each model to do a proper comparison, to decide if one sled is worth 3000 more than the other.

Just compared both sleds. The tracks on both are ripsaw II 1.25 lug. Everything seems to be the same except the 7000 has deluxe digital gauges and the 5000 has digital/analog. Pretty much identical except for motor. How do other dealers feel about servicing sleds bought elsewhere, since i'm about 3 hrs. from country corners.

Edited by thetorches

35 minutes ago, thetorches said:

It  comes with the mid-height windshield, which is 13 in.

Just compared both sleds. The tracks on both are ripsaw II 1.25 lug. Everything seems to be the same except the 7000 has deluxe digital gauges and the 5000 has digital/analog. Pretty much identical except for motor. How do other dealers feel about servicing sleds bought elsewhere, since i'm about 3 hrs. from country corners.

I made a trip to Country Corners for a warranty fuel gauge problem on one sled. Same scenario as you. We scheduled an appointment and they did it while I waited. Outside of warranty I take our sleds to WildBill

Next October  November the manufacture will offer another rebate too get rid of year old sleds, that's how I bought my sled. Buy the 7000 torque like a big block chevy from low speed to high speed.