L143

14 snow

Has anyone ridden the new L143 this year?  I am curious how it compares to the old trail that was basically fast all the way North and South.

I also assume it is Green on Timmins section because it was groomed last night and likely not yet groomed after the snow on the southern portion.

No longer Red in that one section below the Timmins end... I guess the road is now passable and signed .... apparently there was a good stretch of road running there as of last weekend.

Is there any gas between Gowganda and Timmins up the L143?  About how many kms is it? Ride time?

Riding that way the start of March from KL to Timmins and deciding whether to take the L143 or the C trail through shining tree. Just wondering differences in distance, time and which is the nicer ride

thanks for any info 

Jon

No gas on L143 or anywhere from Gowganda to Timmins if you take L143.  If you want/need gas, you have to go up C and gas at Shining Tree or Gogama.

The gas station in Gogama was out of gas when we were there.  Luckily, JL Resort had fuel.

Should not need gas between Timmin's and Gowganda going up the L143.....unless you decide to have some off trail adventures on the way up.

Using the old route last year, we were fine.

Been a few years since taking the C, and I am not sure how the new L143 is, so no comment on which is better. 

From Gowganda to start of L143 is 33km, and sign to Timmins at that point says 135km, so call it 170km total. Didn't get a chance to ride it this season unfortunately.  

On 2/25/2017 at 7:52 PM, Runnynose said:

From Gowganda to start of L143 is 33km, and sign to Timmins at that point says 135km, so call it 170km total. Didn't get a chance to ride it this season unfortunately.  

Thanks. OFSC route planner adds part of A107C, which pushes the distance up over 185KM. Planning from NL to Timmins Friday 10 March via A107C and L143. Gas at Auld Reekie Lake Lodge (Gowganda) - right place for gas?

Our low fuel light will be on, but we can do 170+ KM on a tank (2010 and 2013 Vector LTX) which leaves about 30-40KM of contingency depending on snow/trail conditions.

Anyone know why the bottom part of L143 sits as Yellow for some time now - logging?

L143 5Mar17.jpg

On 2/10/2017 at 0:49 PM, Denis007 said:

No longer Red in that one section below the Timmins end... I guess the road is now passable and signed .... apparently there was a good stretch of road running there as of last weekend.

Its 32 KM of glare ice on the road. Not being studded, it was hell for a long time, and very slow. I watched the grator go the other way trying to scratch lines into the ice for the cars, with no luck. (Not exactly signed - Follow road to trail - doesn't tell you it is 32KM, and I didn't see any arrows along that 32KM) I rode L143 from Timmins to Gowganda Saturday March 11th. Road parts are glare ice, trails are icy, 2 partial wash-outs I encountered. Ice flows on off camber corners. (This isn't intended as a knock to the Groomer guy for this trail from Gowganda, who I spoke with.) If you aren't studded stay off the L143.  Note the A trail out out Elk Lake towards to Kirkland Lake is also glare ice on the road sections, or dirt or gravels. From just before the L132 to KL is good with only minor icy spots. We left Timmins at 7:30 AM, got into KL at 5:30PM.

The A107C out from Gowganda to Elk Lake is also fun, especially the road portions on the highway.

A tough tough day of riding...(-26 c start didn't help.)

On 3/5/2017 at 0:38 PM, Gadgetman said:

Thanks. OFSC route planner adds part of A107C, which pushes the distance up over 185KM. Planning from NL to Timmins Friday 10 March via A107C and L143. Gas at Auld Reekie Lake Lodge (Gowganda) - right place for gas?

Our low fuel light will be on, but we can do 170+ KM on a tank (2010 and 2013 Vector LTX) which leaves about 30-40KM of contingency depending on snow/trail conditions.

Anyone know why the bottom part of L143 sits as Yellow for some time now - logging?

L143 5Mar17.jpg

Our Vectors used 23LTs of gas from Timmins to the Auld Reekie Lodge. Likely didn't use much fuel running the ice road...

Archived