2017 Sneak Peek Tour

Turbo Doo

Was there any suggestion of an 80-100 hp trail machine from any manufacturer at the show? A real Yamaha in that range would be interesting, as would a Polaris 4  stroke that size. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

That has to be one of the shortest front end (noses) that I've seen. Either that or just the perspective of the angle the picture was taken at.

I'm thinking it's just the angle of the photo

What a disappointing show by Ski Doo. No black/ green Renegade, no yellow/silver MXZ XRS......

These are "spring order" models and they are no shows...

way too many black sleds, you see all kinds out on the trails, don't need to look at them IMG_2538.thumb.JPG.2d313e00c855409f6b669fdc14cba810.JPGIMG_2543.thumb.JPG.200e58342623a5454e64d2b252e4139d.JPGIMG_2540.thumb.JPG.f1e1cd721156e6c717e248c38fcec693.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

9 minutes ago, Finesy said:

What a disappointing show by Ski Doo. No black/ green Renegade, no yellow/silver MXZ XRS......

These are "spring order" models and they are no shows...

way too many black sleds, you see all kinds out on the trails, don't need to look at them IMG_2538.thumb.JPG.2d313e00c855409f6b669fdc14cba810.JPGIMG_2543.thumb.JPG.200e58342623a5454e64d2b252e4139d.JPGIMG_2540.thumb.JPG.f1e1cd721156e6c717e248c38fcec693.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

Man those have a smaller windshield than polaris.  I know they look good like that but totally impractical from both brands.

1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

That's all i will say..:ph34r:

Heh sorry we missed you, had a nice chat with Frank.

On 3/25/2017 at 2:31 PM, tricky said:

Was there any suggestion of an 80-100 hp trail machine from any manufacturer at the show? A real Yamaha in that range would be interesting, as would a Polaris 4  stroke that size. 

are you not happy with the 900 ACE

On 3/22/2017 at 2:09 PM, sledjunk said:

I'll be sledding :poke2:

your not missing much from Yamaha. You would look good on the 200 :D

Hey Nunz, looks like I just missed you. Maybe you walked past me when I was drooling over the Back Country X.  I do like what I am seeing from Polaris. I did ride one a couple of weeks ago.  Awesome sled, but didn't like the engine vibration. 

How did Poo's model mix for display compare to the Doo's? All BRP wants to sell is long tracks for the boondockers near Wawa & Revy.

How is the Sea-doo Spark selling? Maybe they need a 'practical' sled for consumers?

7 minutes ago, revrnd said:

How did Poo's model mix for display compare to the Doo's? All BRP wants to sell is long tracks for the boondockers near Wawa & Revy.

How is the Sea-doo Spark selling? Maybe they need a 'practical' sled for consumers?

I've heard a few people say the same thing. Just a good general purpose moderately priced sled for those who perhaps can't justify the much more significant investment or need to equip a family.

45 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Polaris had a good mix of trail, crossovers and the mountain sleds there, The timbersled was getting a lot of attention for sure. Also had a couple of atv's and a Razr 900.

The colours for next year have certainly gotten very bright..

On 2017-03-26 at 6:28 PM, RotaxMike said:

are you not happy with the 900 ACE

Great question. I love my 900 ACE. The engine, I believe is absolutely what a lot of people could use. That is why I would love to see more completion to Ski-doo in that HP range.  Competition improves the breed.

At 66 years old, I am not a top three percenter any more when it comes to absolute trail speed, but I am not slow either. If ordering again this spring, I would get another 900, but probably a Renegade, maybe an Enduro, as long as I didn't have to get a the Pilot TS skis. I wasted most of the season trying to get them to turn effectively. Near the end of the season I changed to Pilot 5.7 skis and "Voila" my machine would turn predictably instead of pushing. I had a 5-day northern trip in early Feb, where one of the accompanying sleds also had TS skis. He loved them, but he went about 10% slower than I wished to go, and I believe that is a critical factor for TS skis. While touring at seven tenths or less the TS skis were very good, if adjusted to conditions. But they always pushed at eight tenths performance or more, and were heavy to steer if adjusted deep enough to satisfy my cornering demands. I heard that Ski-doo has cut back or eliminated the use of TS skis for 2018. Dunno, as I have not bothered to look at 2018 sleds. Doesn't matter to me now, cause I am not buying two years in a row when winter is so inconsistent.

I spring ordered a year ago because I loved the retro Blizzard colours, and I thought I wanted the 129" Ice Ripper track. With all of the serious ice encountered this year, I think I favour traditional tracks and studs. Again, this may have to do with the corner speed that I wish to maintain, but for a 90 HP sled, I found the back end wanting to slide past the front end way too often.

The 850 Yamaha motorcycle engine is real knockout in every market where it is sold. Give us that in a real Yamaha sled, and I would be right there. Polaris must also have some similar HP ATV engines. The west side trail up to the canyon was the only trail that I sucked hind teat this season, and that is not my kind of sledding anyway. I truly believe sleds like my 900 could keep a smile on a lot of faces, and maybe keep riders out of trouble like I used to get into.

57 minutes ago, tricky said:

I heard that Ski-doo has cut back or eliminated the use of TS skis for 2018. Dunno, as I have not bothered to look at 2018 sleds.

I have the '18 brochure in front of me & here's what I found. 

Renegade Enduro TS skis

Blizzard models (2) TS skis

GT SE TS skis

everything else has Pilot 5.7s or DS skis std w/ the TS optional on models

58 minutes ago, tricky said:

Great question. I love my 900 ACE. The engine, I believe is absolutely what a lot of people could use. That is why I would love to see more completion to Ski-doo in that HP range.  Competition improves the breed.

At 66 years old, I am not a top three percenter any more when it comes to absolute trail speed, but I am not slow either. If ordering again this spring, I would get another 900, but probably a Renegade, maybe an Enduro, as long as I didn't have to get a the Pilot TS skis. I wasted most of the season trying to get them to turn effectively. Near the end of the season I changed to Pilot 5.7 skis and "Voila" my machine would turn predictably instead of pushing. I had a 5-day northern trip in early Feb, where one of the accompanying sleds also had TS skis. He loved them, but he went about 10% slower than I wished to go, and I believe that is a critical factor for TS skis. While touring at seven tenths or less the TS skis were very good, if adjusted to conditions. But they always pushed at eight tenths performance or more, and were heavy to steer if adjusted deep enough to satisfy my cornering demands. I heard that Ski-doo has cut back or eliminated the use of TS skis for 2018. Dunno, as I have not bothered to look at 2018 sleds. Doesn't matter to me now, cause I am not buying two years in a row when winter is so inconsistent.

I spring ordered a year ago because I loved the retro Blizzard colours, and I thought I wanted the 129" Ice Ripper track. With all of the serious ice encountered this year, I think I favour traditional tracks and studs. Again, this may have to do with the corner speed that I wish to maintain, but for a 90 HP sled, I found the back end wanting to slide past the front end way too often.

The 850 Yamaha motorcycle engine is real knockout in every market where it is sold. Give us that in a real Yamaha sled, and I would be right there. Polaris must also have some similar HP ATV engines. The west side trail up to the canyon was the only trail that I sucked hind teat this season, and that is not my kind of sledding anyway. I truly believe sleds like my 900 could keep a smile on a lot of faces, and maybe keep riders out of trouble like I used to get into.

I would love to hear more about the ice ripper.  Im really considering one of these this year but i do not know anyone who has one so i can try it.  I have always had regular studs so I'm hesitant to change but want to change if you know what i mean.  I can only assume the the rotating mass is way less than a studded track so that can only help with some speed LOL.  Just do not want to regret it if i do not like it at all.

47 minutes ago, tricky said:

My buddy has the 900 Ace in a Renegade and he loves it. I rode it and was very impressed with the bottom and midrange, alot more then I thought it would be but not for me yet.Sounds like you would a Renegade better or is you want more options to make long trips more more enjoyable then the Enduro would be a good sled. The heated seat sounds like a great option for those -30 days. I find when it comes to skis some people will love a brand of ski where others will hate them. I dont mind the 5.7 but I perfer DS 2. I ran 6.9 pilots on my 2010.5 mxzx & love them. They are the same ski as the 5.7 but are wider and handle so much better. I find there is so many 5.7 skis out there, when I follow another set I tend to dart bad when the snow is tight. The 6.9 would not do that and were alot better in loose snow. Too bad they dont make them anymore. 

15 minutes ago, gobills said:

I would love to hear more about the ice ripper.  Im really considering one of these this year but i do not know anyone who has one so i can try it.  I have always had regular studs so I'm hesitant to change but want to change if you know what i mean.  I can only assume the the rotating mass is way less than a studded track so that can only help with some speed LOL.  Just do not want to regret it if i do not like it at all.

The prestudded tracks work very well but do not bite as nice as a studded track. The biggest thing that people like about them is you dont wreck a track when you rip out a stud. When a stud come out you dont have to worry about them wrecking your heat exchangers. I do find people liking the Ice attack XT better then the Ice ripper. I have installed 6 Ice attack XT's and they all like them better then the ripsaw with studs. I think it is worth trying because if you dont like it then you will have no problem selling it. If you are running a ripsaw with a 1.25 lug I recommand trying a Ice Attack XT with a 1.375 lug. 

9 hours ago, RotaxMike said:

Too bad they dont make them anymore. 

They still make the 6.9's, you just have to order them as a part from a 2012 or whatever Expedition LE... I have a set on my 99 Formula Deluxe and loved them, might trade them onto my '15 MXz 800 ... 

I can't really comment on the TS skis, never tried them!

For the style of riding I do for the most part, I have had to replace the Pilot 5.7 even running 2 carbides per ski. 

Tried this set up first on both my 12 and 15 but will switch out immediately on the 2018.

I run the Pilot 5.7R Skis. One deep keel and add 7.5 inch Stud Boy Shaper Bars.

Wherever I point the sled it's going in that direction! I find the Renegades definitely push!

Lots of bite, makes you work a bit but when the corner comes I know where I'm going.

Everyone has their own preference when it comes to sled set up but this works the best for me.

On 3/26/2017 at 6:39 PM, RotaxMike said:

You would look good on the 200 :D

... And the horse you rode in on!!!!

:lmao:

Archived