Lets talk suspensions & track length !..120-129-137 or ?

chez-nous cest skidoo

Preface;.. my first year back in the snowmobile sport after many many absent years, & yes im having a BLAST !....   im currently running a 2012 MXZ-1200.... it has a 120" track & i think SC-5 suspension ( & FYI i really dont know much about the different suspensions ) I only trail ride & my sled has been great .. well mostly, ive ridden about 1000kms this season so far, met a bunch of awesome enthusiasts, however I find however that when the trails get beat up at the end of the day or weekend with wash board bumps, dips & moguls I also take a beating, unless i can maintain speeds well above the posted speed limit, then i just fly over the rough terrain, which in most cases is not possible because either im too tired/sore after a full day of riding or trail traffic is too heavy. I was willing to accept the aforementioned until I rode my buddies renagade X, it has a 137" track with r-Motion suspension, OMG I found the ride comfort was noticeably improved, much smoother, especially over the " wash board " bumps, however i also found the sled to push a bit in the corners where my sled turns on a dime. 

So im thinking i might make a move to upgrade my current sled either in the spring or in the fall of this year. 

What is the opinion of the masses here on OC ?.. what has the most influence on ride quality, track length ?.. suspension ? .. or both equally ? ... could i get away with an 129" track, X-package & r-motion still enjoy a smoother ride ?.. 

cheers

mike

Yes.

the biggest segment of the trail riders are short tracks, 121" the majority of the bumps are made via acceleration, and braking. these bump sections get longer and longer, with each passing sled. the longer the track, the more footprint, and the spanning of "some" of the bumps are possible.

with 121 sleds making the most bumps, 136" and 141" tracked sleds can span these bumps, and you get the "more compliant" ride quality you found on your friends sled.

you give up cornering with longer tracks, due to the tracks overpowering the skis. so there is a positive for bumps but, a negative if you like slot car like cornering.

you have to find a set up that you can live with, in a variety of conditions. personally, I would never own a sled less than 129" ever again. Ski

I ride GTX 1200 137 track, I can easily ride 200 a day with my wife on back seat and she has no complaint. 

I have a 137 mind you it's a Polaris as for cornering I notice no difference from a 121.  I like the ride on the 137 a lot, but the 121 is so much fun to ride after being on the larger track sled.  It was probably set up for your buddy that's why it was pushing I think.

My previous sled was 121 and the current is 136.  I do not really buy into the bridging the bumps thing as really you only have, at most, about half the distance of track length on the ground.  I think the biggest difference is suspension.

I have a 2016 renegade 1200 with r motion 137  and it rides really smooth,my friends on arctic cats cant believe how good it is in the bumps when they try it.You do loose a little of the quick turning on tight trails.I would go with a 137 with the 1200,a very torquey motor.

I have a 129in zr6000 and my brother has a Crosstalk 600  which is 137in and swapping back and forth you cannot tell any ride difference through the bumps. Steering on the other hand is different, more so due to his 1.6in lug to my 1.25in.

I had a 600 Crossfire 136" last year. Sold it. This year i bought a firecat with the 128" . The Firecat does corner better and soaks up the bumps the same as the xfire IMO. I found with my lighter weight 150lbs the xfire was a handful in the twisties. But other friends weighing more said it handled great.  With that being said i'm still having a hard time setting the firecat up for my weight. 

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

My previous sled was 121 and the current is 136.  I do not really buy into the bridging the bumps thing as really you only have, at most, about half the distance of track length on the ground.  I think the biggest difference is suspension.

This. the track really only has an extra 6 inches if that on the ground between a 121 and 136. It doesn't make one difference.

The biggest issue really here is the 1200 motor. Its a nice ride for smooth trails but that extra 50 pounds in the front kills you in the bumps and tight twisty trails.

I went from a 136 back to a 120 on my Pro S 800.

I ride quality is more based on set up rather than track length.

I'm not wishing I had a longer track !

2 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

This. the track really only has an extra 6 inches if that on the ground between a 121 and 136. It doesn't make one difference.

The biggest issue really here is the 1200 motor. Its a nice ride for smooth trails but that extra 50 pounds in the front kills you in the bumps and tight twisty trails.

I agree the extra weight does take some getting use to.Its well planted on the trail and handles the rough trail very good.My last sled was 800 x in a 120.

Ride and handling can be debated all day but the physics of it is you want balance side to side and front to rear. I am not a little guy so the longer the wheelbase the better the front to rear balance. Yes you have to drive a long track a little different but I have played out the younger generation on a day full of tight and twisties and they were on 121 sleds. I had my 144.

1 hour ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Agreed with this, any 4 stroke really with the added weight up front plays the biggest factor. Great for nicely groomed trails, but can be more tiring when things get a little bumpy from all those long track, big lug, "stand up wannabe" azzhat riders :).

Now your suspension becoming even more important with the added weight.....and setting it up to your weight & riding style, which many do not & pay the price.

I would like to one day try the r-motion, sounds like it works real well.

I have a 141", never rode a 121", or at least been a long time since I have, 141 handles fine for me, but before I set the sled up to me, it was not nice to me in the corners at all.

Think they all play a factor...2 or 4 stroke, suspension, track length & the rider itself. 

If you can, try to get on some demo rides this year to give you more seat time....only downfall is the demo sleds suspension will likely not be very well set up, giving you a bit of a bias opinion.

I do buy into the bridging bumps factor on length. Always been a 4 stroker and have rode 121" and found with the 137" and 144" it handles the bumps better.  

Set up is paramount for handling though and if you haven't adjust the limiter strap for better cornering and set rider sag and front preload for your weight it won't handle no matter what the length!

The researchs been done, manufactures are going away from short tracks and the 136/7" is the mainstay now. You won't regret the upgrade in length if you set it up right for halndling.

The research was done in late 1980's and no one would buy them.  Remember the original Skidoo MX?  People laughed at more track.

I think many enjoy a smoother ride on their newer sleds due to improved suspension design and/or  shock valving, not longer track.  I've owned 2 136" sleds, now back to 129".  Having 3.5" less track on the snow is a non-issue.  Same skid but this shock is far superior in ride comfort.  I don't buy into the 'bump bridging' sales spin either.  

So then get 2 exact same model sleds with same rear suspension and shock setup, one shorty and 1 136 or longer and verify that. Guesses are that the difference will be imperceptible. 

WOW.. so many great comments, suggestions & opinions ! .. I love it !.. keep em coming.

OK so what im reading here is :

#1,..... whatever track length & suspension i have, it must be custom tuned for my body/sled weight & the type of riding i do. - i know everything is adjustable on my sled but i need to learn how the changes will affect the handling & ride quality of my sled.

#2 ... track length does have some effect on ride quality - so my next motorized toboggan will most definitely have a longer track with latest suspension technology  

#3...my 1200 four stroke is heavy, this added weight has a negative effect on handling & ride comfort - however I love everything about the 1200 !..well except the weight, unlikely i could get away from it.

thanks to all who have posted, & thanks in advance

cheers

mike

I have had the past few sleds a 121, couple of 136's and recent a 144, I personally think the 136 is a good length for trail riding and the odd play in the powder.

Archived