QUITE THE RIDE YESTERDAY

thetorches

Headed out of Lindsay yesterday. Had a loop planned out from Lindsay to E108, up thru Wilberforce and take the E to the B, to Haliburton and back to Lindsay. The 108 was great, but once leaving it, it was really rough the rest of the way. Anyway, made it to Wilberforce, where I gassed up. Left there heading to Haliburton. Made it to within about 10 kms of Eagle Lake. Got to experience something I never wanted to. Cruising along and all of a sudden I lost all power. Came to a stop and realized I was in the middle of nowhere. Started looking at sled. Turned key and starter engaged but engine would not turn over at all. Pulled pull cord and would not pull over. Thought engine was seized, turned clutch and engine rolled over. Turned over with key again and it started, but was making some ugly sounds. I realized I was not going anywhere. Luckily about 10 minutes later two guys pulled over and asked if I needed help. He towed me to the country market in Eagle Lake. Did not know where the hell I was. Gave him some cash for the tow. Now I had to get back to Lindsay. There happened to be a cab sitting at the store. Asked the nice lady if I could get a ride to Lindsay. She said it would probably be around $200. She called her boss and he said $230. Offered the $200 but he said no, its $230. Paid the money and off we went. Arrived in Lindsay and now I had to drive back to Eagle Lake and pick up sled. Got back there and realized there was nobody around and had to load sled on trailer myself. That took about an hour. Lucky I had a ratchet strap and it actually pulled sled up trailer far enough so I could push it down and lock it. What a work out. Now a 2 and a half hour drive back to Oshawa. Arrived home at 10:30, just as my Patriots were winning there 5th superbowl. Took 7 hrs. from time I got cab until I arrived back in Oshawa. What a day.

Lol!  I'm glad it all worked out well. After dropping you off we could have helped you load.  Super Bowl was great.  Did you find out what went wrong with that Yamaha?  Sounds like it's time to buy a ski-doo.  Small world. 

24 minutes ago, thetorches said:

Headed out of Lindsay yesterday. Had a loop planned out from Lindsay to E108, up thru Wilberforce and take the E to the B, to Haliburton and back to Lindsay. The 108 was great, but once leaving it, it was really rough the rest of the way. Anyway, made it to Wilberforce, where I gassed up. Left there heading to Haliburton. Made it to within about 10 kms of Eagle Lake. Got to experience something I never wanted to. Cruising along and all of a sudden I lost all power. Came to a stop and realized I was in the middle of nowhere. Started looking at sled. Turned key and starter engaged but engine would not turn over at all. Pulled pull cord and would not pull over. Thought engine was seized, turned clutch and engine rolled over. Turned over with key again and it started, but was making some ugly sounds. I realized I was not going anywhere. Luckily about 10 minutes later two guys pulled over and asked if I needed help. He towed me to the country market in Eagle Lake. Did not know where the hell I was. Gave him some cash for the tow. Now I had to get back to Lindsay. There happened to be a cab sitting at the store. Asked the nice lady if I could get a ride to Lindsay. She said it would probably be around $200. She called her boss and he said $230. Offered the $200 but he said no, its $230. Paid the money and off we went. Arrived in Lindsay and now I had to drive back to Eagle Lake and pick up sled. Got back there and realized there was nobody around and had to load sled on trailer myself. That took about an hour. Lucky I had a ratchet strap and it actually pulled sled up trailer far enough so I could push it down and lock it. What a work out. Now a 2 and a half hour drive back to Oshawa. Arrived home at 10:30, just as my Patriots were winning there 5th superbowl. Took 7 hrs. from time I got cab until I arrived back in Oshawa. What a day.

Wow what a day....  Glad there was someone to get you off the lake but sucks you had to load the sled on your own.

This gives me an idea maybe we should make a little contact group for certain areas in case anyone needs help and you are stuck.  I'm in minden area most weekends and I am willing to help if anyone needs help.  This could be done through pm for contact info.  I know if I was on the rap or something like that it would be nice to know I have someone in mattawa area lets I could try and get help from.  I know that most sledders are more than willing to help but it would be nice to know someone local.

we are a pretty tight community on here so I think this could work.  I know people are away and so on,but it's worth a shot.

i definitely know if and when I'm in the northern corridor that Dennis is the man!

14 minutes ago, gobills said:

Wow what a day....  Glad there was someone to get you off the lake but sucks you had to load the sled on your own.

This gives me an idea maybe we should make a little contact group for certain areas in case anyone needs help and you are stuck.  I'm in minden area most weekends and I am willing to help if anyone needs help.  This could be done through pm for contact info.  I know if I was on the rap or something like that it would be nice to know I have someone in mattawa area lets I could try and get help from.  I know that most sledders are more than willing to help but it would be nice to know someone local.

we are a pretty tight community on here so I think this could work.  I know people are away and so on,but it's worth a shot.

i definitely know if and when I'm in the northern corridor that Dennis is the man!

Great idea. I hate the thought of riding alone for the reasons above. If I do go out alone it will be not very far and not on a weekday. Weekends increase the likelihood of help coming by. I also make sure someone knows my route, have my cellphone fully charged and carry a tool kit. One of our group on Sunday ran into a problem. We were near Hillsdale headed for Elmvale when his turbo Cat belt gave up the ghost. The belt fell apart and left all kinds of cords wrapped around the clutches. At 73 years old good thing he wasn't alone. It turns out it was the original belt, 4 years old and he didn't have a spare. We used the spare from one of the skidoo sand were able to continue but in the direction of home. 

I can can only imagine if he was by himself. 

Is somebody actually going to make a list ??

Sudbury and area for me.

If peps want to email me their info and area I will be happy to make the list and post it on here or if prefered will email it to those who want it.

soupkids@fibreop.ca

put contact info in the subject line or I will have no idea who you are.

I will reply with a got it or ok.

8 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Is somebody actually going to make a list ??

Sudbury and area for me.

If peps want to email me their info and area I will be happy to make the list and post it on here or if prefered will email it to those who want it.

soupkids@fibreop.ca

put contact info in the subject line or I will have no idea who you are.

I will reply with a got it or ok.

If you are willing to do this that's amazing.  I think if anyone interested wants to give info pm would be best.  Just don't want to see someone's email or phone overloaded by junk email once it's on the web.

might want to remove your email buddy as anyone on the web can view this.

4 minutes ago, gobills said:

If you are willing to do this that's amazing.  I think if anyone interested wants to give info pm would be best.  Just don't want to see someone's email or phone overloaded by junk email once it's on the web.

might want to remove your email buddy as anyone on the web can view this.

More than willing to compile the list.

as for my email addy going public, no biggie.

1 hour ago, The Smith said:

Lol!  I'm glad it all worked out well. After dropping you off we could have helped you load.  Super Bowl was great.  Did you find out what went wrong with that Yamaha?  Sounds like it's time to buy a ski-doo.  Small world. 

Thanks again Kyle for the tow. I really appreciated it. Feel bad now about how much I gave you, after seeing how much a cab ride was. That was quite the tow ride. Set a pretty good pace back to Eagle Lake. Hope you enjoyed the game. Best come back ever and I missed the whole game. PVRing it right now on the NFL network. Will watch it later. Thanks again to you and your buddy. Haven't looked at sled yet. Will do a compression check tomorrow. Probably lost a cylinder.

for those that want on the help me list.

32 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Great idea. I hate the thought of riding alone for the reasons above. If I do go out alone it will be not very far and not on a weekday. Weekends increase the likelihood of help coming by. I also make sure someone knows my route, have my cellphone fully charged and carry a tool kit. One of our group on Sunday ran into a problem. We were near Hillsdale headed for Elmvale when his turbo Cat belt gave up the ghost. The belt fell apart and left all kinds of cords wrapped around the clutches. At 73 years old good thing he wasn't alone. It turns out it was the original belt, 4 years old and he didn't have a spare. We used the spare from one of the skidoo sand were able to continue but in the direction of home. 

I can can only imagine if he was by himself. 

Am always worried when I'm out alone, especially with an old sled. First problem I've had with it. Think I will get myself a 4 stroke.

9 minutes ago, Boy Oh Buoy said:

So ... was this Kyle dude that towed ya sportin' a 2 or 4 stroke  ???? 

Uh. No. It was a 800 ski doo.

I didn't expect a penny.  Just helping out a fellow sledder is good enough.  We all have rigs fail no matter how good of care we give them.  BTW it was a bullet proof 2 stroke powertek.  Lol.  For the help list I am in eagle lake most weekends and Carleton Place during the week. 613-296-8779. 

Barrys bay tonight stonecliff tomorrow north bay the next night. Sundrige thirsday.  And I always have a tow rope!  

Cheers gents and ladies. 

How about a section of the list being the names of people on OC that would accept a pm. Example, if anyone needs help in the Carnarvon area they could send me a pm. That way email addresses aren't made public.

3 hours ago, The Smith said:

Harsh...  I do agree with the Ski-Doo though

In HCSA territory just call the club # 705 457 4263 I answer it. All our groomers are out at night, and as jrhz06 said we have a pretty good network of folks to help. PM's don't go to my phone.

Livin'

9 hours ago, jrhz06 said:

How about a section of the list being the names of people on OC that would accept a pm. Example, if anyone needs help in the Carnarvon area they could send me a pm. That way email addresses aren't made public.

List will only be public if wanted otherwise by email only.

Wow. Sorry to hear that .. that is a rough go.

I remember breaking down on Scugog on a monday afternoon. I sat there for almost an hour.

Been there before as well.  IMO you're not a real sledders until you have to deal with something like this.  Very few are that lucky!  

I ride alone a fair bit too but am more concerned with an accident (done that too)...  Sledders are a helpful group; nobody wants to be stranded out in the cold!

I'd take a sample of the fuel you have from Wilberforce.  They are not open that frequently and trails around there have just started to open.  Who knows how old it is?  Just a thought.

17 minutes ago, Canadoo said:

Been there before as well.  IMO you're not a real sledders until you have to deal with something like this.  Very few are that lucky!  

I ride alone a fair bit too but am more concerned with an accident (done that too)...  Sledders are a helpful group; nobody wants to be stranded out in the cold!

I'd take a sample of the fuel you have from Wilberforce.  They are not open that frequently and trails around there have just started to open.  Who knows how old it is?  Just a thought.

I was wondering about the gas. Put in half a tank. Where could I get the gas tested.

14 minutes ago, thetorches said:

I was wondering about the gas. Put in half a tank. Where could I get the gas tested.

What is the compression like on the sled now? Those vipers were bullet proof. I out 18,000 km's on mine and not one break down on the trail. I always did the maintiance though and power valves cleaned every season.

25 minutes ago, thetorches said:

Put about 10 ounces in a clear dry jar and let it settle.

If it separates into two layers you have water. It will settle on the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Put about 10 ounces in a clear dry jar and let it settle.

If it separates into two layers you have water. It will settle on the bottom.

Another quick and fool proof way is to measure out the fuel in a jar say 10oz & measure out 10% of that amount or 1oz of water.

Mark the jar where 10oz is and 11oz is. Mix the 2 together.

You will be able to see the water seperate from the fuel and if it's below the 10oz mark there is water in the gas.  

Can also show phase seperate ethanol.

I don't mind lending a hand when I can, especially if I can give you a hard time over it later. .. lol! 

I blew up my own sled 2 weekends ago, we had 2 other sleds with us. The Rev was almost a casualty at the exact same time. ... starter relay failed and the recoil starter broke when starting the sled. .. had to jump start it off the battery posts of the relay. Sorted out now, but imagine having 2 corpses to tow out with the Cheyenne. .. 

We towed ourselves out, but had an offer from a friend passing through. .. still plenty of honorable people in the world. 

Hope it's not an expensive fix for the Yamaha. Mine should be running this weekend. 

Archived