QUITE THE RIDE YESTERDAY

thetorches

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎07 at 8:46 PM, Viperules700 said:

What is the compression like on the sled now? Those vipers were bullet proof. I out 18,000 km's on mine and not one break down on the trail. I always did the maintiance though and power valves cleaned every season.

Did compression test. One cylinder is 118, one is 112 and the center one is 15. Any idea what it costs to change a cylinder and piston. Could losing a cylinder cause damage to other internal engine parts. Thanks for any info.

Sounds like the middle cylinder ring popped off. Did you hear a big bang by any chance. I know some people had power valve cables pull thru and piston would hit the valve then. Could be a hole in piston too, from running lean. Take it to someone you trust. Wild bill is a good choice and has all of equipment to do it right. The bottom end should be fine as long as nothing broke off. Should be able to fix it and ride it for another 10,000km's for around 1000 to 1600 imagine. I never had to do engine work on mine. Do all three cyclinders, not just the one. Bottom ends are bullet proof on these engines. Good Luck.

If you take out the cover on servo motor for the power valves and look to see if the middle one is loose. Takes 5 minutes (it is on clutch side and has three screws, all three cables run into it). If you take out the middle spark plug and see what it looks like. Is it damaged, is it white etc. Can even shine a flashlight down, the cylinder and see what you can see. Can also unbolt middle power valve, from cylinder and inspect the piston and verify if ring did break away or just pop off.

6 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Sounds like the middle cylinder ring popped off. Did you hear a big bang by any chance. I know some people had power valve cables pull thru and piston would hit the valve then. Could be a hole in piston too, from running lean. Take it to someone you trust. Wild bill is a good choice and has all of equipment to do it right. The bottom end should be fine as long as nothing broke off. Should be able to fix it and ride it for another 10,000km's for around 1000 to 1600 imagine. I never had to do engine work on mine. Do all three cyclinders, not just the one. Bottom ends are bullet proof on these engines. Good Luck.

If you take out the cover on servo motor for the power valves and look to see if the middle one is loose. Takes 5 minutes (it is on clutch side and has three screws, all three cables run into it). If you take out the middle spark plug and see what it looks like. Is it damaged, is it white etc. Can even shine a flashlight down, the cylinder and see what you can see. Can also unbolt middle power valve, from cylinder and inspect the piston and verify if ring did break away or just pop off.

Thanks for info. I'll take a look. It never made a big bang when it died. It sputtered a couple of times and just  quit. Heard like a tinny sound just before it died.

Archived