Top B102 closed in Dist 6

old sledhead

Just came home to a email from the Bonn Trae  club that the B102 that runs from Wilno to Killaloe will be closed as of this Wednesday

Please be advised that we have just been given notice by a private landowner that we have one week to close the trail going through his property. His house is alongside the trail & he has deer on his property . We have signed his section of trail accordingly plus other measures to appease his concerns & slow down the sleds. This is to no avail as some sledders continue to speed through, making rooster tails as they leave the stop sign & chasing the deer. Not to far from this landowner is another landowner that has given us notice that this is the final season for the trail on his property.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hang on to your helmets. We all know that there will be more and more closures because of this kind of crap. OFSC, we have a huge problem.

I think we need to start posting signs at the start of reroutes or trail closures like "This re-route brought to by the inconsiderate ass hats that can't stay on a trail. Thanks. Think of this the next time you have to road rash." 

"Keep the rubber Side Down"

2 minutes ago, tinman said:

I think we need to start posting signs at the start of reroutes or trail closures like "This re-route brought to by the inconsiderate ass hats that can't stay on a trail. Thanks. Think of this the next time you have to road rash." 

LOL I was just going to post all most the exact same words!!

1 hour ago, Cuyuna said:

Hang on to your helmets. We all know that there will be more and more closures because of this kind of crap. OFSC, we have a huge problem.

I would like to think most of the problem is ignorance, perhaps an online course or questionnaire of some sort when you buy your permit. I know when I was a young azzhat I was unaware of landowners, assumed the trails were owned buy the clubs, but I lived on a lake so really didn't do much trail riding.

I thought B102 was on the railbed thru that area. I take it the county does not own the railbed?

Just looked at that section of trail on the map.  That is a major track closure!  Hopefully a re- route will be possible.

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

I thought B102 was on the railbed thru that area. I take it the county does not own the railbed?

No all private, This is the problem people think a rail bed or a ditch is owned by  a township or county so it wont be closed . Well we all better start remembering snowmobiling is a privilege.  I personally have had to go to council meetings begging forgiveness for snowmobile rs that roust snow on to road ,pass cars on the right, don't stop at stop signs and are jumping over driveways. The way its going local municipality's will be legislating snowmobiles off there roads also.

I cant blame landowners for shutting down trail. if I was not a snowmobile r after the last two years I would strongly think about closing my 100 acres that a trail runs on. I also have watched from my house sledders chasing deer across my field or just ride all over my field that I sell the hay from to help pay taxes. Then there is the off season problems that you have to deal with and that have gotten worse with technology ( g.p.s. maps) . I have had atvers, bikers & hiker's give me problems . I think the worst was a bunch walking through when I was cleaning up the trail during bow hunting season that told me I had no right to be cutting trees on public land or hunting on it the one guy had his phone out about to call the cops on me, this after they climbed over two gates and past three no trespassing signs.

Actions like this give organizations like the O.L.A a way in to get people sturd up ,don't forget up here in the country neighbors know each other and still talk to each other.

some recreational riders have an amazing sense of over-entitlement

a very small percentage, but also very visible

2 hours ago, old sledhead said:

No all private, This is the problem people think a rail bed or a ditch is owned by  a township or county so it wont be closed . Well we all better start remembering snowmobiling is a privilege.  I personally have had to go to council meetings begging forgiveness for snowmobile rs that roust snow on to road ,pass cars on the right, don't stop at stop signs and are jumping over driveways. The way its going local municipality's will be legislating snowmobiles off there roads also.

I cant blame landowners for shutting down trail. if I was not a snowmobile r after the last two years I would strongly think about closing my 100 acres that a trail runs on. I also have watched from my house sledders chasing deer across my field or just ride all over my field that I sell the hay from to help pay taxes. Then there is the off season problems that you have to deal with and that have gotten worse with technology ( g.p.s. maps) . I have had atvers, bikers & hiker's give me problems . I think the worst was a bunch walking through when I was cleaning up the trail during bow hunting season that told me I had no right to be cutting trees on public land or hunting on it the one guy had his phone out about to call the cops on me, this after they climbed over two gates and past three no trespassing signs.

Actions like this give organizations like the O.L.A a way in to get people sturd up ,don't forget up here in the country neighbors know each other and still talk to each other.

I'm surprised they climbed over the gates and didn't cut the locks. I know of one situation where ATV riders were bitching to the landowner about how he shouldn't be in the middle of THEIR trail (on his own property) and how much of a nuisance it was that they had to cut the chains on the locked gates because some idiot had closed off THEIR trail. They assumed that since it was a snowmobile trail meant it became an ATV trail in the off season.

On 2/5/2017 at 8:23 AM, old sledhead said:

Just came home to a email from the Bonn Trae  club that the B102 that runs from Wilno to Killaloe will be closed as of this Wednesday

Please be advised that we have just been given notice by a private landowner that we have one week to close the trail going through his property. His house is alongside the trail & he has deer on his property . We have signed his section of trail accordingly plus other measures to appease his concerns & slow down the sleds. This is to no avail as some sledders continue to speed through, making rooster tails as they leave the stop sign & chasing the deer. Not to far from this landowner is another landowner that has given us notice that this is the final season for the trail on his property.

Is this the whole trail of just part of a trail between the two places mentioned?

On 2/6/2017 at 2:11 PM, shawnj said:

Is this the whole trail of just part of a trail between the two places mentioned?

This is two landowners between wilno and killaloe ,both on the north side of hwy 60.

One landowner has closed the trail as of tomorrow his neighbor at the end of the season , the club hopes to run road for the rest of this year to keep a link , that will be about 3 to 4 km of road if the township will permit . At the end of the year they will lose most about 2/3rds of the rail bed that runs between killaloe and wilno . This will also effect the 150 trail to round lake closing it .

2 hours ago, old sledhead said:

This is two landowners between wilno and killaloe ,both on the north side of hwy 60.

One landowner has closed the trail as of tomorrow his neighbor at the end of the season , the club hopes to run road for the rest of this year to keep a link , that will be about 3 to 4 km of road if the township will permit . At the end of the year they will lose most about 2/3rds of the rail bed that runs between killaloe and wilno . This will also effect the 150 trail to round lake closing it .

This trail would be shut down eventually.  Sledders have used it for how long and just now there's an issue?  I find it hard to believe.

How long have these LOs owned the property?

Also very surprised a railbed is privately owned other than CN or other rail company.

8 hours ago, Canadoo said:

This trail would be shut down eventually.  Sledders have used it for how long and just now there's an issue?  I find it hard to believe.

Also very surprised a railbed is privately owned other than CN or other rail company.

So you are blaming the landowners in this situation?

10 hours ago, Canadoo said:

Regardless how long someone owned the property the attitudes of entitlement among snowmobilers countries to manifest itself more and more. Eventually that long time landowner gets fed up with the disrespect of his private property. I see signs saying stay on trail and tracks running through the fields that shouldn't be there. I see garbage and empty beer cans left trail side. I hear of riders mouthing off to the landowner for having the nerve to be out walking on THEIR snowmobile trail. 

And then hen someone curses the landowner for saying get your trail off my property. Ridiculous entitlement. We are entitled to nothing. 

It would only be private if the township did not buy it when it became available. To my understanding railways must be offered first to all three levels of government before it is offered privately.  I was a director of HCSA when Haliburton County bought the rail line and this is how it was then .  

On 2017-02-06 at 5:03 AM, slomo said:

Go visit the Lesters on their snowtrax facebook and tell them what you think.....

What do the lesters have to do with this? Not sure I understand. This is a shame. I would bet it has been festering for a long time. Constant 4 wheeler traffic in off season and busy winter season. Both groups have continued to show a lack of respect for other people's property. This is an important link east west and north to round lk and B trail. Very sad to see it happen. 

2 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Regardless how long someone owned the property the attitudes of entitlement among snowmobilers countries to manifest itself more and more. Eventually that long time landowner gets fed up with the disrespect of his private property. I see signs saying stay on trail and tracks running through the fields that shouldn't be there. I see garbage and empty beer cans left trail side. I hear of riders mouthing off to the landowner for having the nerve to be out walking on THEIR snowmobile trail. 

How do we get the message out there without the government doing it and royally screwing it up 

5 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

How do we get the message out there without the government doing it and royally screwing it up 

WB, that statement is HUGE. We'll get the message out there when we solve all the ills of Society in general. When we get back to being decent, responsible citizens, when we get back to showing basic respect to one another, when we get back to good parenting and pass these good habits to our children, when we all realize that nobody is more "special" than anyone else and lose the sense of entitlement that is choking our way of life, when we learn all of these things without legislation - because you can not legislate human decency. ( My $ .02 )

14 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

May I suggest  call them out on it we all know that one person that does not make the best choices  when they tighten there helmet to tight and just don,t ride with them. The same as if they don't have a pass!!

Enforcement is another big thing , believe me I don't what to see a cop every hour of trail riding i do, but get out lay a few charges and the word will get out .

1 hour ago, J Feces said:

What do the lesters have to do with this? Not sure I understand. This is a shame. I would bet it has been festering for a long time. Constant 4 wheeler traffic in off season and busy winter season. Both groups have continued to show a lack of respect for other people's property. This is an important link east west and north to round lk and B trail. Very sad to see it happen. 

Read the Editorial in the latest issue of their magazine. They are giving credence to and promoting freestyle riding off trail and telling the ofsc that they need to provide for it.

3 hours ago, slomo said:

So you are blaming the landowners in this situation?

"Blaming" is your word.

There are always more to these stories, the easy way out is to say that a sledders chased a deer and rode fast.  Experience tells me that's not the whole story.

14 minutes ago, Canadoo said:

"Blaming" is your word.

There are always more to these stories, the easy way out is to say that a sledders chased a deer and rode fast.  Experience tells me that's not the whole story.

So what would your theory be? What do you think would prompt a long standing landowner who has had a long time trail on their property to revoke permission to access their property. Something has obviously changed to prompt them to make such a decision. It couldn't possibly be

- people riding off trail

- people riding closed trails before they are ready

- people mouthing off to the landowner because they had the audacity to be walking on their property and impeding the snowmobilers ability to run the trail at high speeds

- people leaving their garbage on the trail for the landowner to clean up

After all if I was one of those landowners it would just annoy the heck out of me if a snowmobiler didn't do any of the above. I know I would be ticked off to find

- I could walk on my property, perhaps with my dog and the snowmobilers would slow right down and wave to me as they pass

- I didn't need to carry a garbage bag around picking up garbage and beer empties

- I could look out at my hay field and not see any tracks running through the middle of it

Archived