Riding the Rap currently

Paramuir

So day 1. 240km from Dorset to North Bay. 

Great conditions in the south and lots of snow most of the way up.  When you get close to north Bay you can really see the snow drop.  But for the most part great conditions

Nice to pass two groomers out just north of burks falls area.  

keep the posts coming! We are starting it on Monday....

What route did you take to Northbay? 

Great to hear! 

We are beginning the RAP Monday for a 5 day tour starting in Cobden. Looking forward to it as I see lots more GREEN on the ITG.

Mattawa groomer is down waiting for parts. So need extra time to get thru there. Looks like no fix for a few more days at least. Bumpy and choppy trails, hasn't been groomed since weekend. Hopefully district 9 groomer arrives before weekend. Lots of traffic today, for a Wednesday too. Worst I have seen that area for awhile. Too bad we don't have newer equipment up here, where it is needed. Traffic is insane, counted 50 sleds between mattawa and pettawa coming towards me today. I can only imagine what weekend will bring. 

Left north Bay around 10.  

As everyone eknows around mattawa was really rough.  No groomer so what can you expect

You hot missing link trails and they are Mint again.   Lots of traffic but great ride 

In rolphton for lunch

Left north Bay around 10.  

As everyone eknows around mattawa was really rough.  No groomer so what can you expect

You hot missing link trails and they are Mint again.   Lots of traffic but great ride 

In rolphton for lunch

My crew of six is going the RAP starting on Monday from Wilberforce area. First night at Edgewater, second in Mattawa at the Valois. Third night is in discussion about the Bears Den in Deep River or ride to Petawawa and try somewhere new. Fourth night will be in the Wilno. We always stop in Wilno for great Polish food and stay at the Mountain view motel. I hope to see some OC'rs on the trail.

we are leaving Paudash Lake on Monday, but we are going counter clockwise. !st night Pembroke, second North Bay, 3rd Edgewater, then back to Paudash. There will be 8 of us.

OK so made it to Pembroke around 615 this evening  staying at he best Western.  Really nice hotel full of sledders

Total 305 km today north Bay to Pembroke

Once we cleared mattawa smooth ...great ride ! 

Will add pics later...

20 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Mattawa groomer is down waiting for parts. So need extra time to get thru there. Looks like no fix for a few more days at least. Bumpy and choppy trails, hasn't been groomed since weekend. Hopefully district 9 groomer arrives before weekend. Lots of traffic today, for a Wednesday too. Worst I have seen that area for awhile. Too bad we don't have newer equipment up here, where it is needed. Traffic is insane, counted 50 sleds between mattawa and pettawa coming towards me today. I can only imagine what weekend will bring. 

Groomer in Mattawa is less than 5 years old.  They have new iron.  It all breaks.

1 hour ago, signfan said:

Groomer in Mattawa is less than 5 years old.  They have new iron.  It all breaks.

When we were thru there in '13 the groomer was broke down as well.

30 minutes ago, revrnd said:

When we were thru there in '13 the groomer was broke down as well.

They groom non stop so it's bound to happen with having only one groomer...

So finished today.....Pembroke to Dorset.   

REALLY BUSY  from Pembroke to Haliburton   actually some of it was unsafe.  Too many racers running corners I had to run off the side of the trail to avoid being hit by a free ride. ....everyone ride safe this weekend

The trip over all was a great ride  895 km total round trip.  Last bit of the ride smoothed out again after we got away from haliburton   

9 hours ago, Paramuir said:

So finished today.....Pembroke to Dorset.   

REALLY BUSY  from Pembroke to Haliburton   actually some of it was unsafe.  Too many racers running corners I had to run off the side of the trail to avoid being hit by a free ride. ....everyone ride safe this weekend

The trip over all was a great ride  895 km total round trip.  Last bit of the ride smoothed out again after we got away from haliburton   

I agree with you on the unsafe comment...We rode Pembroke to Lake St. Peter and back through Whitney on Friday (yesterday), and the number of parking-lot superstar freerider idiots on the TOP B railbed between Whitney and Barry's Bay was scary.  We had a 13 year old riding with us, and we had to slow down and keep him between us to keep him safe.  Saw two OPP detachments out yesterday but more concerned with paperwork.  At times I am glad I am getting close the the 5-0, as I really do worry about the future of this great pastime with the current "me" generation...

On a brighter note, we leave Wednesday, doing the Park tour counter-clockwise, first night in Bonfield and second night in Dwight.  Sounds like conditions have come around just in time!

Agree, the B102 and B was like the autobahn yesterday, crazy, had a few sketchy moments in 2 days(thurs, fri) all on friday. Had I not known 1 sled was coming, by his partner in front(thank god he had just enough control to signal) I would of had a ski-doo stuck on the side of my polaris. Blind corners guys, can't hit a 90 at 60kms/hr and expect not to hit something or someone. 

We started the RAP Monday from Haliburton and went counter clockwise.  Finished yesterday, and as mentioned, Mattawa was bit rough, so was a bit of B near Haliburton.  Other than that, the trails were amazing.  The missing lynx trails were pristine!! 

Missing link trails are #1.... me and the gf go there every year... stay st pine valley resort in stonecliff...the owner there is the presedent of missing link and groomer operator and a great guy.. they do a stand up job on there trails...groom 7 nites a week... never have we beeen there and rode ruff or even near ruff trails...

We stayed at Pinevalley.  Great cottages!  We will be going back for sure. 

Archived