Sudbury to Auld Reekies Lodge

Carm

Roger and I are planning a day ride for tomorrow. Driving up from the GTA, drop in Sudbury, riding by 10am, lunch at Auld Reekies and then back to Sudbury/truck and home. Local intel on groomer activity and conditions would be appreciated. Also info on the best place to park/stage in Sudbury area.

20 minutes ago, Carm said:

Roger and I are planning a day ride for tomorrow. Driving up from the GTA, drop in Sudbury, riding by 10am, lunch at Auld Reekies and then back to Sudbury/truck and home. Local intel on groomer activity and conditions would be appreciated. Also info on the best place to park/stage in Sudbury area.

STP clubhouse is where I always stage.

No comment on trails.....but Soup will have the inside scoop I am sure!

Edit: that is a long drive for a day sled ride though, if coming from Newmarket.

21 minutes ago, stoney said:

STP clubhouse is where I always stage.

No comment on trails.....but Soup will have the inside scoop I am sure!

Edit: that is a long drive for a day sled ride though, if coming from Newmarket.

It's a long day for sure! We do it a couple times a season, we both have Wednesdays off and do the majority of our riding 3+ hours north because the trails are so much better. Is the STP clubhouse shown as parking location on ITG? 

21 minutes ago, Carm said:

It's a long day for sure! We do it a couple times a season, we both have Wednesdays off and do the majority of our riding 3+ hours north because the trails are so much better. Is the STP clubhouse shown as parking location on ITG? 

Here is the location:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Newmarket,+ON/Sudbury+Trail+Plan+Association,+3610+Regional+Rd+86,+Garson,+ON+P3L+1S5/@45.2882565,-81.2137108,8z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x882ad20bf0ae014f:0xcb39bf730072dc8f!2m2!1d-79.461256!2d44.059187!1m5!1m1!1s0x4d2f00d02993b7b9:0x98b3c3615fee11f5!2m2!1d-80.8588909!2d46.5588919

Not sure if it is on the ITG...should be though.

Carm;

Just woke up, groomed "C" Shining Tree to Sudbury split point, Sudbury was up a couple of days ago. GEM has a groomer on A107C right now from Gowganda, almost to the "C" trail as we speak. All should be green by day's end. Reported mine last evening. Hope this helps, Derek.

43 minutes ago, kered said:

Carm;

Just woke up, groomed "C" Shining Tree to Sudbury split point, Sudbury was up a couple of days ago. GEM has a groomer on A107C right now from Gowganda, almost to the "C" trail as we speak. All should be green by day's end. Reported mine last evening. Hope this helps, Derek.

Fantastic news kered! Thanks for the update, premium fuel available at shining tree and Auld Reekie?

Carm;

Yes for Shining Tree, Auld Reekie carries it so I'm assuming they are not out. happy sledding!

31 minutes ago, kered said:

Carm;

Yes for Shining Tree, Auld Reekie carries it so I'm assuming they are not out. happy sledding!

Where is the best place for lunch in the area?

Auld Reekie is best, we just have microwave stuff in a general store with no seating. Snacks/ non- alcoholic drinks / fuel/ oil & other sled related items. Not advertising, you asked. Derek.

4 hours ago, kered said:

Auld Reekie is best, we just have microwave stuff in a general store with no seating. Snacks/ non- alcoholic drinks / fuel/ oil & other sled related items. Not advertising, you asked. Derek.

Thanks for the honesty Derek, we will be up for fuel only then and back track a bit and cut across to Auld Reekie for lunch.

Launch from the STP Building in Garson and head north.

Rail bed is fast and lost of snow.

Lake is even faster with just enough snow for lube.

I would recommend scratches down all the time especially running at speed

C trail North might be a little rough due to groomer blowing a turbo on Monday.

3 hours ago, soupkids said:

Launch from the STP Building in Garson and head north.

Rail bed is fast and lost of snow.

Lake is even faster with just enough snow for lube.

I would recommend scratches down all the time especially running at speed

C trail North might be a little rough due to groomer blowing a turbo on Monday.

Thanks soupkids, probably going to take the lake to Rockys and head north to Auld Reekies. 

1 hour ago, Crawdaddy said:

Hey Carm,

This link tracks any recent grooming done by the Sudbury club's, hit the rewind button (bottom right) and that will lay down tracks so you can see what has been done 1 day ago, 2 days ago, etc. 

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0qIOqWqYfMncPh5IFYU3EcSEMd1062UX3

WTH ARE YOU DOING.

Never share that link.

That's how us locals find the good trails.

LOL.

23 hours ago, Carm said:

Thanks soupkids, probably going to take the lake to Rockys and head north to Auld Reekies. 

How was the ride ??

did you have the white benz parked in the yard ??

I was in a meeting and couldn't get outside when I heard the sled pull in.

12 hours ago, soupkids said:

How was the ride ??

did you have the white benz parked in the yard ??

I was in a meeting and couldn't get outside when I heard the sled pull in.

Yes that was us, we left Newmarket around 5:30am and arrived at STP staging area around 10am, it took longer than expected thanks to a snow storm. Trails were great all day except for a section of logging road that was plowed down to the rocks on A107C. We were back to the truck by 8pm back home in bed by midnight. Thanks for all of the help planning the day ride soupkids!

On 2017-02-01 at 6:45 AM, Crawdaddy said:

Hey Carm,

This link tracks any recent grooming done by the Sudbury club's, hit the rewind button (bottom right) and that will lay down tracks so you can see what has been done 1 day ago, 2 days ago, etc. 

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0qIOqWqYfMncPh5IFYU3EcSEMd1062UX3

Thanks Crawdaddy it is a 'favourites' in my phone and on my desktop lol.

21 minutes ago, Carm said:

Yes that was us, we left Newmarket around 5:30am and arrived at STP staging area around 10am, it took longer than expected thanks to a snow storm. Trails were great all day except for a section of logging road that was plowed down to the rocks on A107C. We were back to the truck by 8pm back home in bed by midnight. Thanks for all of the help planning the day ride soupkids!

Carm. Read on GEM facebook that Urs was going to fix that section of A107C today as logging was done. Will pull in the banks. Great for us next week.

37 minutes ago, FIRE242 said:

Carm. Read on GEM facebook that Urs was going to fix that section of A107C today as logging was done. Will pull in the banks. Great for us next week.

When we spoke to the owner of Auld Reekies he explained that the logging has finished early and he was going to pull the banks down today!

On 1/31/2017 at 0:26 PM, kered said:

Carm;

Thanks for the gas and the charge up of my communicator yesterday! Great to see you again, I forgot the name of the lady you introduced us to, is she your wife?

22 minutes ago, Carm said:

Thanks for the gas and the charge up of my communicator yesterday! Great to see you again, I forgot the name of the lady you introduced us to, is she your wife?

I dread asking that question on the "morning after".:o

Archived