Pt Loring Trail Revocation

revrnd

Apparently some asshats couldn't stay on the marked trail near Pt. Loring:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1490296541264302/

Less than two hours ago 4 snowmobilers decided to exit the marked trail on my mothers property and joy ride all over her hay field. There were 2 Arctic Cats and 2 black machines, two riders having cameras on their helmets. When an attempted approach was made by Larry Bain, they took off in the direction of Port Loring. 
This is the final straw in mom's decision to close this trail that spans all three of her lots. This is a working farm, the hay harvested in summer to feed cattle, and traveling on these hay fields damages them. Hay won't grow where the trail is, just scrub grass, not suitable for cattle. 
More signage and more trail markers that were installed earlier this week, obviously is not effective. Gates at either end of her property is, effectively forcing snow machines to travel the road from Lovers' Lane all the way up to Spur Road. 
Maybe more people seeing this might get the word out, though not likely. The people who do this have no respect for property or the lively hood it provide

Brutal! As one of the commentators on FB said "Probably didn't have a permit to begin with". Losers. No excuse for that. None whatsover. 

39 minutes ago, revrnd said:

This is the final straw in mom's decision to close this trail that spans all three of her lots. This is a working farm, the hay harvested in summer to feed cattle, and traveling on these hay fields damages them. Hay won't grow where the trail is, just scrub grass, not suitable for cattle. 
More signage and more trail markers that were installed earlier this week, obviously is not effective. Gates at either end of her property is, effectively forcing snow machines to travel the road from Lovers' Lane all the way up to Spur Road. 

GONE.jpg

Why do these a-hos need to do this?They have no respect for anyone including themselves. I have problems at my cottage with trespassers too at my place in Restoule.They see our tracks and go right through my yard and squeeze by my truck as a short cut to the gas station. If I block off where we come off the lake with a dock barrel they will just kick it out of the way. You can't fix stupid I guess.

Great....here is what we will be missing next year....pics from last year....maybe someone ought to post on that asshole facebook mulisha site (the wave of the future for promoting sledding according to some people)......or check to see if the helmet cam footage is there....

IMG_1962 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1965 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1966 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1975 (Medium).JPG

Just reminds me of the time a few year's back in my area when a lake was marked red on the interactive map - it was staked so people went across anyway. Unfortunately, the guy that owned the property which allowed access to the land from the lake trail needed a couple of days to mark safe passage around his septic system, but got called to work and couldn't get it done right away. You know where this is going don't you.....yup, septic system destroyed ($15,000.00 or more for those city dwellers with no knowledge of such things) and lake access then limited to a stinking mud swamp which never seemed to freeze.

"Well, I just finished applying my munster mulita sticker kits, decided to go off trail, to maintain my cred, when 4 trail riders blocked my path. They flipped my sled, and cut the track off with a utility knife. I told them I'd tell my dad, but they didn't take notice, just told me to tell ALL my friends... NOW what am I supposed to do?"

That is to bad about that section of trail being closed, it is a nice area to travel through. I agree with the land owner, she provided trail access on her land land so we snowmobilers did not have to travel on the road. What is different in Quebec , I have not really seen any tracks off trail in agricultural areas in north eastern Quebec, is the trespassing  fine a higher amount ?     

and so it continues....as we see dozens of these posts all over social media this season....why are there no stories of someone being caught, reported, or charged with trespassing??

35 minutes ago, northstar said:

That is to bad about that section of trail being closed, it is a nice area to travel through. I agree with the land owner, she provided trail access on her land land so we snowmobilers did not have to travel on the road. What is different in Quebec , I have not really seen any tracks off trail in agricultural areas in north eastern Quebec, is the trespassing  fine a higher amount ?     

They actually have enforcement and aren't afraid to use it.

I was talking to a few riders a few days ago. They claim the answer to this is to setup boon docking area's around the province. 

On January 31, 2017 at 8:57 AM, johnsazzr said:

and so it continues....as we see dozens of these posts all over social media this season....why are there no stories of someone being caught, reported, or charged with trespassing??

Seems the police like to sit in their cruisers and check for trail passes as you come into town. If we could get them on sleds and get them traveling around, maybe we could enforce staying on the trail like Quebec. 

23 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

I was talking to a few riders a few days ago. They claim the answer to this is to setup boon docking area's around the province. 

wont work... property owner, and injury liability.... and  these riders are seeking UNTRACKED SNOW, to make first tracks, and ride fresh fluff. once an area has been torn up, even with fresh snow on top, the snow under the fresh is packed, and hard, and not as enjoyable to ride.

our great lakes snow, has lots of moisture content, it is not like mountain west snow, that is dry and doesn't pack, and can be "etch-a- sketched" and started over on with fresh snow and some wind.

they love tearing up untouched bush roads, fields, and pits. once they are tracked, they weren't the first, and it isn't as tempting as a fresh untouched farmers field. and blammo, you get this crap.

look at the hydro lines, they get tracked up a few times, then most everyone stays away from the tracked areas, and starts going further and further away from the tracks.

only going to get worse with more mountain sleds being bought in this region, and wait until the snowbike craze catches on. snow bikes are the future of getting young people involved in the sport. like it or not, they are coming, get used to it.

we have one we built a few weeks ago, it is different, and a different kind of fun but, for me, it wont replace a snowmobile due to the limitation of distance, with their small tanks.   

and for the record, they don't tear up a groomed trail, anymore than a snowmobile. they are lighter, have one less ski, and narrower track footprint. can they do damage? sure but, so do ALL over snow vehicles. Ski

dub jan 2017 036.JPG

6 hours ago, skidooboy said:

dub jan 2017 036.JPG

With the addition of a couple of bumping devices on your sled, with a reinforced frame, these look easy enough to shunt over should one appear on your side of the trail. Maybe the 'cow catcher' technology from the old railway locomotives will be making a comeback.

Agree with all your statements above..."etch a sketched" good descriptive phrase!

8 hours ago, skidooboy said:

wont work... property owner, and injury liability.... and  these riders are seeking UNTRACKED SNOW, to make first tracks, and ride fresh fluff. once an area has been torn up, even with fresh snow on top, the snow under the fresh is packed, and hard, and not as enjoyable to ride.

our great lakes snow, has lots of moisture content, it is not like mountain west snow, that is dry and doesn't pack, and can be "etch-a- sketched" and started over on with fresh snow and some wind.

they love tearing up untouched bush roads, fields, and pits. once they are tracked, they weren't the first, and it isn't as tempting as a fresh untouched farmers field. and blammo, you get this crap.

look at the hydro lines, they get tracked up a few times, then most everyone stays away from the tracked areas, and starts going further and further away from the tracks.

only going to get worse with more mountain sleds being bought in this region, and wait until the snowbike craze catches on. snow bikes are the future of getting young people involved in the sport. like it or not, they are coming, get used to it.

we have one we built a few weeks ago, it is different, and a different kind of fun but, for me, it wont replace a snowmobile due to the limitation of distance, with their small tanks.   

and for the record, they don't tear up a groomed trail, anymore than a snowmobile. they are lighter, have one less ski, and narrower track footprint. can they do damage? sure but, so do ALL over snow vehicles. Ski

A friend of mine that just came back from working out west tells me that the motors in these setups are prone to failuredue to them not being designed for that load 

is this trail closed now? We were planning on using it on wednesday, but will plan a reroute if need be. It is still showing open on the OFSC map

bill, like anything, if it is not set up, well maintained, or abused it will fail. because they are not "meant" for this type of weather, you have to take certain steps to ensure they will be capable, and reliable inc but, not limited to, modding the fuel delivery by leaning them out so they don't over fuel in the cold temps, and dilute the engine oil. you also need a thermostat set up, to help with the motor, water temps.

the motors are not what the issues are, it is the snow kits themselves,  are being beta tested by consumers, instead of factory testing.  and updates come from retail riders. so there are  ALOT of failures of the kits. so you REALLY NEED TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK, so you don't run into the kit issues.

arctic cat had (has) plans to bring a snow specific bike to the marketplace.  sxv 450 is what they called it.

yeti's are the most expensive, timbersled has been out the longest, has been updated nicely, and is proven, and are now owned by Polaris. mototrax is the current problem child of faulures, the camso kit (camoplast) is the newest. buyer beware for sure.

they are not cheap though, to buy new inc bike, by the time you buy all the needed items, new bike, new kit, ect... you are close to 16000 usd. for that, you could buy a good used dirt bike, good used, sled, and good used street bike.

they are lighter than ANY SLED, and will go places a snowmobile could never think about going. smaller people with less strength, really adapt well as they are easier to handle than a sled. Ski

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:41 PM, Viperules700 said:

Easier said than done. Where do you find the landowner that is going to provide such a large space. How do you ensure that massive space is free from safety hazards like rocks, stumps and other obstacles, then just think at trying to get insurance coverage for it. It also seems that they only want to ride in the unmarked pristine snow covered fields. After a couple of hours it's all packed down and no longer pristine powder to play in.

Crown land.

4 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Crown land.

Works in the further north areas perhaps where there is much more significant availability of crown land however not a lot of that in the Muskoka area in comparison. Even in those areas with crown land available I wonder about the OFSC liability. As soon as they sanction a piece of property as part of the system there is an assumption of liability for safety is there not? What happens should someone hit a hidden rock, stump etc. People like to blame others for their own foolishness especially if they see the potential for a financial windfall.

I think I hear what you're saying.....but there are some crown land areas in South Muskoka that are ideal for the boon docking style of sledding.  Easily accessible when the lakes are safe.

Not OFSC sanctioned, so no liability concerns for OFSC.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:49 PM, Blake G said:

I think I hear what you're saying.....but there are some crown land areas in South Muskoka that are ideal for the boon docking style of sledding.  Easily accessible when the lakes are safe.

Not OFSC sanctioned, so no liability concerns for OFSC.

When are we going, lots of followers for sure.

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 6:18 PM, Daves said:

Why do these a-hos need to do this?They have no respect for anyone including themselves. I have problems at my cottage with trespassers too at my place in Restoule.They see our tracks and go right through my yard and squeeze by my truck as a short cut to the gas station. If I block off where we come off the lake with a dock barrel they will just kick it out of the way. You can't fix stupid I guess.

And these idiots have lakes all over up there that they can track up, yet they use someone's property that was clearly marked to say off of. 

Archived