Elliot lake

Paramuir

I've staged from Dunlop Lake Lodge a few times. Nice rooms, good food. Can't comment on local conditions, but wondering myself. 

There was a public parking area (boat ramp?) 1 km from Dunlop Lake Lodge. That's where they direct overflow trailer parking. I left a truck &  trailer there for 1 week. Take the usual precautions - lock your trailer/tire lock/trailer to truck lock. It did seem remote, but there were a few other trailers in the lot.  

A friend of mine sledded Elliot Lake yesterday.  The snow has dramatically dropped off is what he said, especially south of the city. He was sledding in the rain.  I suspect north of the community may have retained some of the snow due to higher elevation. Conditions could turn around quickly if snow arrives.  ElliotGroomer would likely be the best feedback.  I lived in Elliot Lake for many years and one pattern of consistency was that north of Elliot Lake always faired well with rideable snow throughout the winter.  

Just to give you an idea, there was 63cms in my backyard in the Sault Ste Marie.  Looking out the window this morning, there may be 20cm left.  

14 hours ago, Canuck said:

There was a public parking area (boat ramp?) 1 km from Dunlop Lake Lodge. That's where they direct overflow trailer parking. I left a truck &  trailer there for 1 week. Take the usual precautions - lock your trailer/tire lock/trailer to truck lock. It did seem remote, but there were a few other trailers in the lot.  

I did the same. Parked there for 3 days, no issues.

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

We just missed you guys, we came in that evening.... :(

Yes, I remember. We got away just in time.:D

Been texting with a friend in Elliot lake. He said the snow around town has been going down fast. Some mud holes on the trail right now. He said he heard there is good snow in Wawa....lol

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Great spot to park, but it is land locked this year. Can't go anywhere past Aubrey falls, washout and the east trail over to echo bay is most likely being logged. The d trail south of the city, doesn't have much snow left I am hearing. 

23 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

A friend of mine sledded Elliot Lake yesterday.  The snow has dramatically dropped off is what he said, especially south of the city. He was sledding in the rain.  I suspect north of the community may have retained some of the snow due to higher elevation. Conditions could turn around quickly if snow arrives.  ElliotGroomer would likely be the best feedback.  I lived in Elliot Lake for many years and one pattern of consistency was that north of Elliot Lake always faired well with rideable snow throughout the winter.  

Just to give you an idea, there was 63cms in my backyard in the Sault Ste Marie.  Looking out the window this morning, there may be 20cm left.  

Wow, that's a big hit.... lose 40 cm, that's a lot of water too !

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Dunlop Lodge (north of Elliot Lake) last Saturday afternoon having coffee and a large group of riders showed up about 5 pm.  Some of the group walked through the lounge, then headed for their rooms.  Were any of you OC riders part of that group?  Would have been nice to meet face-to-face.

I guess I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to advise that we are getting lots of reports of the trails being in good shape now.

Thanks for all your lovely comments - we love having all of you come to see us. 

We do indeed try to make room in our lot for the trailers, but when there are more than about 4 or 5, we do have to send them down to the overflow area, but we try to send different employees by to check on things there on their way in/ out of the Lodge, just to make sure everything is okay. 

4 hours ago, DunlopLakeLodge said:

I guess I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to advise that we are getting lots of reports of the trails being in good shape now.

We do indeed try to make room in our lot for the trailers, but when there are more than about 4 or 5, we do have to send them down to the overflow area, but we try to send different employees by to check on things there on their way in/ out of the Lodge, just to make sure everything is okay. 

hi Dunlop lk lodge,we had great stay last yr & be up for beginning of march...thx for up date

6 hours ago, DunlopLakeLodge said:

We checked out of Dunlop Lake Lodge this morning. Great stay. "Snowmobiler's package". Headed south to SSM. 300 km ride. Good until SSM, where they had a charity ride and the usual high volume of traffic.  

We heard that trail north to HH is opening "soon". 

And west, Irreverent.  South then west.  Gang's been razzing me the past few days. Tough crowd. 

Canuck is directionally challenged :poke2:

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

Canuck is directionally challenged :poke2:

Remind me again, SJ...how far is it to Drummondville?  :poke2:

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:23 PM, Canuck said:

And west, Irreverent.  South then west.  Gang's been razzing me the past few days. Tough crowd. 

I can loan you my old boy scout compass...:D sun rises in the east and sets in the west

Will be arriving at the Dunlop lake lodge Thursday night!!  Look forward to this place, stayed there for the first time last year, the owners are awesome! 

13 hours ago, yamaha06 said:

Will be arriving at the Dunlop lake lodge Thursday night!!  Look forward to this place, stayed there for the first time last year, the owners are awesome! 

Hopefuly the weather isn't going to dampen your ride, showing rain and warm temps and very little snow. 

5 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Hopefuly the weather isn't going to dampen your ride, showing rain and warm temps and very little snow. 

Ya I seen that, weather doesn't look then greatest, not sure what's up with this year.  Hopefully things will change and it won't get as warm as they are saying.  

they are calling for 7 days above freezing during the daytime. plowed sections, and business access in towns, are going to be bare quick. the soo north (a little west of EL) has a TON of snow in the bush. trails will be fine. towns will be sketchy. spring riding started early this year. :( the writing is on the wall. warm temps, and longer days are coming. get your rides in NOW, before it is too late. the last la nina in 2000 the trails even as far north as hornepayne were closed before march 1st. that pattern may repeat this year. your results, may vary. Ski

Archived