Factory Rim Refinishing

Sledguy74

Had planned on getting the rims on my truck refinished but am getting the run around on price.

Aluminum factory rims stripped, polished and clear coated $225 per rim seems expensive. Do any of you know some place near KW that could do a good job for less?

I can get them powder coated for less but I like the polished aluminum look.

Bast Tire used to do rim polishing.  Not sure if they still do or not.   

I just called them about my wife's horse trailer rims.  If tires are off, $60 rim,  If tires on, to re-re plus balance is $80/rim.  That is the powder coating price

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

I just called them about my wife's horse trailer rims.  If tires are off, $60 rim,  If tires on, to re-re plus balance is $80/rim.  That is the powder coating price

That's a good price!

Best I could get was twice that at a friends powdercoating business!!

First thing that doesn't make sense is polishing a stripped aluminum rim prior to clear coating it. No need to polish before clear coating. The clear wouldn't stick to a surface that isn't etched in the first place. If you are talking about having an aluminum rim stripped, clear coated and then polished than 225 per rim is not expensive. Give a go at polishing a cleared aluminum rim without breaking through any edges while making that rim look like it was done at factory. Not an easy or quick task. Always remember that refinished paint isn't near as tough as factory. Baked or not. Most booths have a bake system these days anyhow. 

I don't want them painted.

I was just curious if another place was cheaper for what I wanted done. 

Had new tires installed and will look at getting the rims redone later in the year when I have that much cash. 

It was just alot to pay all at once.

8 hours ago, Dave K said:

That's a great price.  Heck, I will get my aluminum rims done.. they're pitting pretty bad.

I also think that Hank's Auto Wreckers in St Clements has some sort of rim polishing division.  I don't see anything on there website, but when I bought my truck back in 11, I bought a few rims from them for my snow tires, and they were in good shape.  It wouldn't hurt to call them either 

17 hours ago, Sledguy74 said:

I don't want them painted.

I was just curious if another place was cheaper for what I wanted done. 

Had new tires installed and will look at getting the rims redone later in the year when I have that much cash. 

It was just alot to pay all at once.

My rims on my Ram are polished clear coated aluminum rims. No colour. The clear protects the aluminum from constant oxidation and getting dull. What I understood from your first post was that you wanted to have your bare aluminum rims clear coated and polished. Painted rims are usually cheaper from the factory/dealer than the aluminum that are cleared and polished like mine which run for close to 800$ each without rubber on them. Painted ones are substantially cheaper. $225 to strip your rims, prep, clear coat and polish is CHEAP! 

On ‎2017‎/‎01‎/‎24 at 11:38 AM, FrostyTheSnowman said:

My rims on my Ram are polished clear coated aluminum rims. No colour. The clear protects the aluminum from constant oxidation and getting dull. What I understood from your first post was that you wanted to have your bare aluminum rims clear coated and polished. Painted rims are usually cheaper from the factory/dealer than the aluminum that are cleared and polished like mine which run for close to 800$ each without rubber on them. Painted ones are substantially cheaper. $225 to strip your rims, prep, clear coat and polish is CHEAP! 

cheaper than buying the rims yes, spring I hope to get them redone

Not sure what I paid to have the alloys on my Monte done, but was very impressed w/ RWR in Taunton (NE corner of Oshawa). Kings Snowmobile Wreckers used to be across the street from them.

Alloy Wheel Repair awrslondon.com

Check out this company. Mobile service as well.

A customer of ours from London stopped by my office with a card. He had some wheels refinished he was happy with.  I have not tried them yet, but their prices seem pretty sharp.

I got a good review from a fellow GM dealer in London.

On 1/23/2017 at 9:56 PM, Dave K said:

I also think that Hank's Auto Wreckers in St Clements has some sort of rim polishing division.  I don't see anything on there website, but when I bought my truck back in 11, I bought a few rims from them for my snow tires, and they were in good shape.  It wouldn't hurt to call them either 

It wasnt Henks, it was Logels.  They are 180/ rim

i think carcones in aurora do it in house 

the rest of us auto recyclers send them to keystone in trenton

3 hours ago, wrecker said:

i think carcones in aurora do it in house 

the rest of us auto recyclers send them to keystone in trenton

We use Carcones at work they are very good.

7 hours ago, Nunz said:

We use Carcones at work they are very good.

Just curious. Would that be a guy named Vince Carcone. If so a blast from the past. I knew him when he was a mechanic with a small repair garage. 

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Just curious. Would that be a guy named Vince Carcone. If so a blast from the past. I knew him when he was a mechanic with a small repair garage. 

Not sure. The shop deals directly with them.

The Vince Carcone that I knew was like me involved with quarter horses at the time. He married into money. His wife Cathy was from Unionville and wherever you looked you saw businesses with her family name Lee on it.

He was a nice guy. An honest mechanic at a time when some had a bad reputation 

On 1/31/2017 at 5:53 AM, 02Sled said:

the man who started carcones was Tony Carcone

His son micheal runs the day to day now

tony still works a lot

Archived