Aubrey Falls - Black Creek

Dan-Senior

Trails needs a bridge, no doubt about that. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:32 PM, AC+YA said:

The D201F Trail HAS BEEN CLOSED now.  (I still hope Dan can find a re-route around the flowing water.)  Those who had planned on this route may want to consider the D106, but remember there is no fuel in Searchmont.  Then take the D Trail (open again north of Goulias River) to get gas in Heyden and then top off at the Zone in Goulais River before heading up to Halfway OR carry fuel enough to get to Halfway Haven.

With colder temps. getting wet in the middle of nowhere is not funny.   

Is it possible to make it from Halfway Haven to Heyden on a tank of fuel, looks like quite the run?

4 hours ago, yamaha06 said:

Is it possible to make it from Halfway Haven to Heyden on a tank of fuel, looks like quite the run?

Depends on the sled and the snow you have to push.  Yesterday there was lots of loose snow on the trails, so need more fuel than when it is a hard groomed trail.

I can go from the gas by the Zone to Halfway with my Cats, but I do carry a couple gallons extra just in case.  Heyden is not too much farther once you figure running back out to Hwy 17 from the D Trail.  I would say you won't make it unless you take the D trail west out of Searchmont.  If you go the long way south around the back of the ski hill, you probably will NOT make it to Heyden.

Halfway to Heyden is dooable

There is gas at Goulais River

Sno

I have my annual guys trip up north booked from Feb 16 - 20.  Five of us will be departing from Elliot Lake on the Friday and riding to Wawa (415km day), staying in Wawa for 2 nights so we can tour the area, shoot the Goose "LOL" and meet The Groomer Guy in D'ville, and then sled back to Elliot Lake on the Sunday.  

We had to make reservations at 2 different inn's due to no vacancy at the Wawa Motor Inn (hockey tournament and annual snowmobile event "Wawa Snow Down").  We're booked at The Bristol Motel on the Friday and the Wawa Motor Inn on the Saturday.  

I spoke with Sean at Halfway Haven yesterday and he said they should have a re-route on the D201F washout by then.  He said they will be cutting a bush trail north and adding an ice crossing wear the water is calmer and frozen.  2 guys went down to get this started the other day but the ice thickness they measured wasn't thick enough yet.

Anybody heading up this way or staying at the Bristol or Wawa Motor Inn Feb 17-19?

Aubrey Falls Trading Post indicated riders are crossing the washout using the north side pond.  This is what I heard today.  That's good news!

That is good news.  I heard that also and wonder if the ice crossing is thick enough to mark and re-open the trail so it can again be groomed.  Perhaps an off season fix can fix the issue for good.

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎08 at 5:23 AM, Turbo Burgo said:

for I have my annual guys trip up north booked from Feb 16 - 20.  Five of us will be departing from Elliot Lake on the Friday and riding to Wawa (415km day), staying in Wawa for 2 nights so we can tour the area, shoot the Goose "LOL" and meet The Groomer Guy in D'ville, and then sled back to Elliot Lake on the Sunday.  

We had to make reservations at 2 different inn's due to no vacancy at the Wawa Motor Inn (hockey tournament and annual snowmobile event "Wawa Snow Down").  We're booked at The Bristol Motel on the Friday and the Wawa Motor Inn on the Saturday.  

I spoke with Sean at Halfway Haven yesterday and he said they should have a re-route on the D201F washout by then.  He said they will be cutting a bush trail north and adding an ice crossing wear the water is calmer and frozen.  2 guys went down to get this started the other day but the ice thickness they measured wasn't thick enough yet.

Anybody heading up this way or staying at the Bristol or Wawa Motor Inn Feb 17-19?

we drove thru the washout last fri aft,it was 3"  90% of way & a ft at worst last 2 ft before other side...went real slow...don't let the washout change your plans

On 2/5/2017 at 11:00 AM, Dan-Senior said:

Hi Chris,

Nice to hear from you.  Lakes are starting to take shape, but nothing spectacular in terms of thick ice as compared to past years.   I'll likely see Mike Butcher at work tomorrow and will ask him about Patten.  He said he was heading to camp on the weekend.  We were on Dunlop Lake yesterday and no one has yet to venture on the lake with a truck / suv as of yet.  Friends of mine were fishing Kaufmann lake and ice was closing in on 10".  The good news is the slush is gone.  I suspect if cooler weather remains, you should be in good shape to get through the lake hops at Patten.

TY Dan!!!

As long as the ice is good for us to get everything (beer, food, clothes) across the lake in the cargo sled behind the machines and decent snow I would bet we will give the trip a shot. 

TY again, and take care!!!

F8 EXT, 

We ran into some of your friends on Patton Lake this past Sunday.  They were from Indiana and know you.  Wish I could remember their names.  Ice was good, but a bit slushy in some spots.

We rode the D106 to Aubrey Falls / Black Creek and did some lake running to shorten up the trip.  Here's a brief video of us going through Horner Lake narrows.  We took our time, then hit the trottle once in the wider part of the lake.

Starting the big loop Thursday morning!  Will post an update on how the washout is, hopefully the sleds all run good.  Would of been cool if I had more time off to spend an extra day in wawa to check out the snow fest.  

18 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

F8 EXT, 

We ran into some of your friends on Patton Lake this past Sunday.  They were from Indiana and know you.  Wish I could remember their names.  Ice was good, but a bit slushy in some spots.

We rode the D106 to Aubrey Falls / Black Creek and did some lake running to shorten up the trip.  Here's a brief video of us going through Horner Lake narrows.  We took our time, then hit the trottle once in the wider part of the lake.

TY for the info Dan.

My In-Laws are planning on being up this w/e, and if things hold up with the warm up this w/e and possible rain next week the guys trip is in just over a week.

Not sure who it may have been that you ran into. My father in law would probably have a good guess. I think it could be a couple different people.

Video looks good!!!

We ran into 3 guys a couple yrs ago (the new Doo Iron Dog had just been released, one of them had one), up at Black Creek. We left, then they caught up to us while having some trail side snacks a ways down the trail and left before us. We hopped a few lakes and stopped again at the end of Primeau Lake, waiting for them. The look on their face was priceless when they realized it was us!!! Lol It is crazy how much time some of those shortcuts save you.

Have a fun and safe ride Yamaha06!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Fresh Snow and Colder Temperatures made for some cross-country and trail riding south of Aubrey Falls yesterday.  We utilized part of the D106 trail as part of the day ride.  The area bush trails were not immune to the warm meltdown as you can see in the video.  The lakes held up well and the slush disappeared.

Nice Video Dan 

makes me want to come back riding and try again

Greg

Good news.  The D201F Trail that links Searchmont to Aubrey Falls / Black Creek is now open again.  It was groomed last night and their is a disclaimer on the Sault Trailblazers website indicating a frozen bypass is available at the water crossing, but use at own risk.

I suspect the Domtar Road is still being logged for the 1st 11 kilometres from where it starts at the Ranger Lake Road.  I wish I could easily explain how you can bypass that 11 km section, however, there are too many branch offs on that bush route and one wrong turn, one would get lost.  Here's a video of the 11 km stretch bypass route to avoid the logging.

This route suggestion was brought forward to the club as an idea a few years back, however, I am on the understanding there are a obstacles along the way that may include physical and political.

As Dan said the trail was groomed and the groomer was able to pass, the club will NOT Officially open the trail, they will keep it Red because of the problem of the washout.   I was told that there is a little trail on the pond you can take to get around of the water hole.  Other then that the trail is great.  They are just being cautious.  We talked about this at our Weekly district Grooming Conference call. 

Archived