Aubrey Falls - Black Creek

Dan-Senior

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Owls Nest Lodge said:

I have a schedule that means I unload trailer at 2.00 pm going to searchmont first night,  not a big deal, just not what we had hoped to do,

Have a good ride. I have never been up that trail past the soo. I see top D is closed near Elliot lake too, now. 

I located some aerial footage of the Domtar washout on a typical winter.  Bottom line is, that section below the culverts never seems to freeze, however, the pond above does.  If I'm up that way, I'll check the ice thickness on that pond.  Obviously not an official crossing, but guys like Sean H. will tackle it. (Sean photos attached of different water and bush crossings.)

Domtar Washout.jpg

Sean Breaking Trail.jpg

Sean Crossing Swamp.jpg

Trout-Lake-Creek.jpg

27 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

I located some aerial footage of the Domtar washout on a typical winter.  Bottom line is, that section below the culverts never seems to freeze, however, the pond above does.  If I'm up that way, I'll check the ice thickness on that pond.  Obviously not an official crossing, but guys like Sean H. will tackle it. (Sean photos attached of different water and bush crossings.)

Domtar Washout.jpg

Sean Breaking Trail.jpg

Sean Crossing Swamp.jpg

Trout-Lake-Creek.jpg

Hi Dan,

Knowing this would not be an OFSC trail............

That would be a great solution if you could find or cut a one track through the bush on both sides of the pond back to the trail.  I did not see a gradual incline leading off the pond as I did look for just a quick few seconds on the east side of the pond near the road.  That ice seemed to be way below the road and a steep incline up the bank to the road.

I was very skeptical about the ice under so much snow at the time I was there, so I did not want to get on the pond either.  If you can go there with a way to check the ice and cut open a one track trail using the ice to connect, it may be a great solution.  The key will be the ice this season.  As all the trails now, the cold needs to return first.

I think ski already suggested cutting another way around this, but knowing that the waterway is connected like a river above and below, a solid frozen pond route may be the only connector solution.

If there is a way around, I would like to know and you have shown me other portage trails across multiple lakes.  Paige and I followed you from Iron Bridge to Black Creek and from Elliot Lake back to Iron Bridge using lakes and trapper trails never touching OFSC trails.  I am sure if there is a way, you can find it.  Wish I could explore with you.

Scott      

If there was an easy re route across the pond, you would think the club would route a trail to by pass the washout area, instead of trying to fill it in with skids and snow each season. I don't know the area real well, just wish there was a good solution to this problem, that sledders could count on. 

42 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

If there was an easy re route across the pond, you would think the club would route a trail to by pass the washout area, instead of trying to fill it in with skids and snow each season. I don't know the area real well, just wish there was a good solution to this problem, that sledders could count on. 

Perhaps waiting for the logging company to fix the problem? It does take time to get permits to do this work and money....  This is my guess...

A 1 minute summary video of our trip to Aubrey Falls / Black Creek on Saturday January 21st

We're planning a ride from Elliot Lake to Wawa on the Family Day Long weekend.  Rooms are booked at the Wawa Motor Inn.  

I'm sending a scout up to the washout the weekend before to take some pics and see if its passable.  How many km is it from Black Creek Outfitters to the Washout approximately?  

Great video (as usual) Dan. 

36 minutes ago, Turbo Burgo said:

We're planning a ride from Elliot Lake to Wawa on the Family Day Long weekend.  Rooms are booked at the Wawa Motor Inn.  

I'm sending a scout up to the washout the weekend before to take some pics and see if its passable.  How many km is it from Black Creek Outfitters to the Washout approximately?  

Close to 60 kms north-west of Black Creek if you take the Ranger Lake Road route.  If you take the D201F north of Mashagama, thats another 20 kms.

10 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

Maybe fill it in with all the verbal diarrhea.. i dunno..B)

You haven't even been over there yet. It is a key trail and hopefully there is money for a bridge or a reroute in future. I would be even willing to come up if off season and lend a hand, if that is what club needs. You and Dutch man can come too :) 

Although totally unofficial, this is what I will be looking at when I'm up that way next time.  There's an old logging road on the east side of that creek / river that runs parallel with the river  This washout is in a pretty remote area and takes close to 3 hours to get to from the Sault, even when we trailer to Searchmont or Laughing Lake Road.  No reason to go this weekend as creeks and rivers have opened up due to mild weather.  I'll see if my riding colleagues  are up to this run next weekend?  This is in no affiliation with the Sault club or OFSC, just a personal endeavour.

d201F-washout.jpg

Thanks for your efforts.  Any and all information is appreciated.

Be careful.

_

Iknow nothing.jpg

good on you Dan, be careful! Ski

thx dan

Washout:  We ran into the same situation on the Seabrook Lake Powerline a few years back.  I think it was either Scott or Perry W, who started the loop around and from that point forward for the remainder of the season, we had a route around the washout.

The trail is now shown as open Limited.  There was also a picture posted to Facebook showing the groomer track and a groomer has also been through from Aubrey Falls to Halfway.  Dan have you heard how it was for the groomer, were they able to make any improvements?

Hi Matt,

I have not heard of any updates to that washout.  The Sault Trailblazers website is listing this quote (directly below) in their Trail Status Column.  

*** D201F Has a Major Water Hazard 60 Feet Across and Max 8 inches Halfway Between Aubrey Falls And the Warm up Shack at Domtar Whitman Damm Intersection. All Attempts to Fill it would not work due to The mild Temps Ride With Care*****

Although I update the Latest News section of the Sault Trailblazers website, I do not update that center Trail Status column, that section is done by the Club Executive.

I suspect the groomer went straight through that 60' wide water crossing.

and it is a dis-service to paying trail permit buyers, to list this trail as open. maybe for locals, some people can get around this hazard but, a touring rider from out of region, province ect... are expecting a "passable trail", and to list this as yellow, and limited is a HUGE LIABILITY ISSUE. think about first time riders, kids, ladies, and inexperience males, the club/district is placing these people in the position, cross the water... or turn back. risk getting wet in below freezing temps, or risk running out of gas by turning back. SOMEONE, NEEDS TO STAND UP AND SAY CLOSE THIS FRIGGEN TRAIL, BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT OR WORSE. 

max 8"??? scott and paige went across this BEFORE THE WARM UP AND WATER LEVEL RISE, and they said it was close to 24", in some areas, and one sled barely made it out of the water obstacle, at that time.  Ski

40 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

and it is a dis-service to paying trail permit buyers, to list this trail as open. maybe for locals, some people can get around this hazard but, a touring rider from out of region, province ect... are expecting a "passable trail", and to list this as yellow, and limited is a HUGE LIABILITY ISSUE. think about first time riders, kids, ladies, and inexperience males, the club/district is placing these people in the position, cross the water... or turn back. risk getting wet in below freezing temps, or risk running out of gas by turning back. SOMEONE, NEEDS TO STAND UP AND SAY CLOSE THIS FRIGGEN TRAIL, BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT OR WORSE. 

max 8"??? scott and paige went across this BEFORE THE WARM UP AND WATER LEVEL RISE, and they said it was close to 24", in some areas, and one sled barely made it out of the water obstacle, at that time.  Ski

Yellow = Limited Availability 

This would be the correct status for this trail.

What would be nice is if the clubs could add some type of message regarding the hazard right on the ITG.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:50 PM, Dan-Senior said:

Hi Matt,

I have not heard of any updates to that washout.  The Sault Trailblazers website is listing this quote (directly below) in their Trail Status Column.  

*** D201F Has a Major Water Hazard 60 Feet Across and Max 8 inches Halfway Between Aubrey Falls And the Warm up Shack at Domtar Whitman Damm Intersection. All Attempts to Fill it would not work due to The mild Temps Ride With Care*****

Although I update the Latest News section of the Sault Trailblazers website, I do not update that center Trail Status column, that section is done by the Club Executive.

I suspect the groomer went straight through that 60' wide water crossing.

The D201F Trail HAS BEEN CLOSED now.  (I still hope Dan can find a re-route around the flowing water.)  Those who had planned on this route may want to consider the D106, but remember there is no fuel in Searchmont.  Then take the D Trail (open again north of Goulias River) to get gas in Heyden and then top off at the Zone in Goulais River before heading up to Halfway OR carry fuel enough to get to Halfway Haven.

With colder temps. getting wet in the middle of nowhere is not funny.   

Dan,

TY for all the updates!!! Hope all is well.

Do you, or anyone else happen to know how the lakes are in the Bass, Patten, Carpenter Lk areas?

Annual guys trip is just under 3 weeks away. 

Did read on FB that there is gas in Heyden now, as well as AC's post above. It's a great start, hopefully the next to have fuel is Searchmont.

Ride safe!!!

Hi Chris,

Nice to hear from you.  Lakes are starting to take shape, but nothing spectacular in terms of thick ice as compared to past years.   I'll likely see Mike Butcher at work tomorrow and will ask him about Patten.  He said he was heading to camp on the weekend.  We were on Dunlop Lake yesterday and no one has yet to venture on the lake with a truck / suv as of yet.  Friends of mine were fishing Kaufmann lake and ice was closing in on 10".  The good news is the slush is gone.  I suspect if cooler weather remains, you should be in good shape to get through the lake hops at Patten.

Archived