Twin Peak Power Tour - Val-d'or, Matagami, Chibougamou, lac-saint Jean, Saint-Michel-des-saints, Mont-Laurier

Carm

Looking for advice for best places to stay, best places for to gas up and eat luch, best places for dinner and any must see look outs and picturesque scenery.

Than plan is to leave Toronto around 3, make it to Le Forestel for 10:30pm.

Day 1 is VAL D'OR to MATAGAMI for lunch then to LEBEL-SUR-QUÉVILLON for the night. ***ANY RECOMENDATIONS ON HOTEL AND BEST PLACE FOR DINNER***

Day 2 LEBEL-SUR-QUÉVILLON to CHIBOUGAMAU for the night ***WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE FOR LUNCH AND FUEL? AND ANY RECOMENDATIONS ON HOTEL AND BEST PLACE FOR DINNER***

Day 3 CHIBOUGAMAU to MISTISSINI ***WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE FOR LUNCH AND FUEL?*** and then to LAC-SAINT-JEAN for the night. ***ANY RECOMENDATIONS ON HOTEL AND BEST PLACE FOR DINNER***

Day 4,5,6 LAC-SAINT-JEAN to ***THIS IS WHERE THINGS GET INTERESTING AND INPUT FROM PEOPLE THAT KNOW THE REGION WOULD BE A BIG HELP. WE ARE DECIDING WHETHER TO HEAD SOUTH TO SAINT-MICHEL-DES-SAINT TO MONT-LAURIER AND THEN BACK TO VAL-D'OR OR HEAD WEST TO WEMOTACI/TIMBRELL/OSKELANEO/PARADIS TO VAL D'OR . THE LARGE SECTION OF QUEBEC BETWEEN LAC-SAINT-JEAN AND VAL-D'OR AND NORTH OF SAIN-ZENON MOUNT-LAURIER REGIONS IS ALL NEW TO ME AND I AM NOT SURE ON WHERE TO STAY OR GET FUEL.***

Are you familiar with

quebecrider.com

All the answers from veteran saddlebaggers you will need for Quebec.

Thanks for the link I will check it out. 

24 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

Are you familiar with

quebecrider.com

All the answers from veteran saddlebaggers you will need for Quebec.

5 hours ago, Carm said:

Looking for advice for best places to stay, best places for to gas up and eat luch, best places for dinner and any must see look outs and picturesque scenery.

Than plan is to leave Toronto around 3, make it to Le Forestel for 10:30pm.

Day 1 is VAL D'OR to MATAGAMI for lunch then to LEBEL-SUR-QUÉVILLON for the night. ***ANY RECOMENDATIONS ON HOTEL AND BEST PLACE FOR DINNER***

There is fuel and a place to eat at Saint Dominique-du-Rosaire north of Amos. Last fuel until Mattagami I believe. Food at the motel in Mattagami is OK.

About the only place to stay in Quevillon is the Motel du Lac    1-855-826-2001

There is not a lot of places to eat in town. We ate lunch a couple of times about 4 blocks from the motel but can't remember the name. Food was good.

Day 2 LEBEL-SUR-QUÉVILLON to CHIBOUGAMAU for the night ***WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE FOR LUNCH AND FUEL? AND ANY RECOMENDATIONS ON HOTEL AND BEST PLACE FOR DINNER***

You will likely be in Chibougamau by lunch time or for a not too late lunch. The trail is pretty much mine road and about 75 miles of railbed. We rode from Chibougamau to Val D Or one day in daylight no problem.

There was no "on trail or near trail" fuel between Quevillon and Chapais the least time we rode there. You will be OK with all the extra fuel you have with you.

Hotel Motel Nordic is pretty good in comparison to the other choices in Chibougamau. I don't think it has a restaurant and is a 10 minute walk away from where most restaurants are.

Day 3 CHIBOUGAMAU to MISTISSINI ***WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE FOR LUNCH AND FUEL?*** and then to LAC-SAINT-JEAN for the night. ***ANY RECOMENDATIONS ON HOTEL AND BEST PLACE FOR DINNER***

The last time we were through there, the only place to get fuel or anything to eat between Chibougamau and LA Dore was at a sawmill along the trail that would sell fuel and had a cafeteria.

I don't think there is a town called Lac St. Jean. My suggestion if you want to go up to Mistissini, would be to come back down the west side of the lake and stay in Roberval Since getting in and out of Alma or Chicoutimi is a bit of a pain. In Roberval, The Hotel Chateau Roberval is a great spot (big red brick building that doesn't look like a hotel on left coming into town from the north) with sled tent, pool and a great restaurant. It is easy to get to with fuel close by and is very close to the trails you will head east on the next day.

Day 4,5,6 LAC-SAINT-JEAN to ***THIS IS WHERE THINGS GET INTERESTING AND INPUT FROM PEOPLE THAT KNOW THE REGION WOULD BE A BIG HELP. WE ARE DECIDING WHETHER TO HEAD SOUTH TO SAINT-MICHEL-DES-SAINT TO MONT-LAURIER AND THEN BACK TO VAL-D'OR OR HEAD WEST TO WEMOTACI/TIMBRELL/OSKELANEO/PARADIS TO VAL D'OR . THE LARGE SECTION OF QUEBEC BETWEEN LAC-SAINT-JEAN AND VAL-D'OR AND NORTH OF SAIN-ZENON MOUNT-LAURIER REGIONS IS ALL NEW TO ME AND I AM NOT SURE ON WHERE TO STAY OR GET FUEL.***

If you head straight across to Val d Or on 83, it is a good 2 day ride if conditions are good. Trail 83 isn't always groomed like most other Quebec trails because it is so remote. The first 1/3rd to 1/2 is what we refer to as  work for your km's trail. There was a place to get fuel and eat before you get to Trail 73 that goes south to LaTuque, I think it is at  or near Wemotaci. It is right along the trail. I would suggest having early lunch here. Not many places to stay going across. Parent ( just before trail 13 intersection about 350 km from Roberval) did have a very basic motel made from work camp type trailers. Not sure if it is still there. It is called Hotel Central Parent.

Clova did have food fuel and accommodations. There is also a nice spot called BalBuzard Sauvage about 1/2 way between Clova and Lac Faillon. If you get to Lac Faillon ( about 30 km. before you cut off 83 on the shortcut to Louvicourt) there is a great resort Auberge du Lac Faillon with fuel and good food. It is an awesome place to stay. Most of these spots can be Googled. There isn't much info available on the area between Parent and Clova. It is pretty remote.  The best I have found is   www.woodrunnertrail.ca/   If I find any of the names of the places I've mentioned that I can't remember the names of, I will let you know.

Sounds like a great adventure. I've put some info. below each of your days mentioned above.

4 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Sounds like a great adventure. I've put some info. below each of your days mentioned above.

Thanks for the detailed info PISTON LAKE CRUISER. We have decided to do CHABOUGAMOU to RELAIS 22 MILLES day 3 staying to the West side of Lac-Saint-Jean and going through ROBERVAL. Day 4 going to SAINT-MICHEL-DES-SAINT via 73 S to 355 S to 360 W looping up local m20 trail(which is suppose to be AMAZING) and then staying at Auberge Lac Taureau. Day 5 to Mont-Laurier via 33 N to local trail 233 S to 13 S and staying at Rabaska Lodge. Day 6 check out Devils Mountain Local Trails and Lookouts then to VAL-D'OR via 322 W to 63 N to 386 N.

Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 11.54.49 PM.png

Just to add although it probably isn't relevant,the Hotel Central Parent is a great place to stay.The rooms are out of the 70's but are cheap and cozy.The place is full of loggers that are very friendly.We were warned that place was rough with alot of fights but turned out to be one of the most friendly places we stayed.Trail 83 was remote enough, I can,t imagine how remote 93 is.

I had almost a very similar route planned out a few years ago, with issues on the second day and some of guys having a change in heart on the trip, we revised the trip and never did it....I was looking forward to that loop though, I heard that it was a great run, especially into and out of Chiboug.

I would share all the stops, logding, etc...I had, but I lost it all when my hard drive crashed this past summer...:headbang:

Have fun!

Can't wait to read your reports Carm on your trip.  Looks like an awesome plan IMO

Archived