Things You See Up North...

Diceman

took this pic roughly 20 k west of Bancroft...were two of them but could only get a shot of one of them...

IMG_0946.JPG

BTW,  Bancroft is NOT North !!!!

34 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Its north of the Burg

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

your welcome ...glad I shared the pic for you to make a  comment that had nothing to do with the pic.......I did not think I had to explain my whole route prior to seeing the moose..guess I should 0f had as my heading....Things You See When you Start Up North Then Go East Abit and Then Back West...Is That Better???..will also let my buddy in Belleville know that he does not travel north  to get to Bancroft....

Comment was intended to be humorous.

:sarcasm_on-1:

just south of Fenelon Falls I saw two turkeys drop out of a tree as I approached , actaully scared the crap out of me ! .. those things are huge .. lol

cheers

mike

I see lots of trees going by me in the opposite direction pretty fast! 

12 hours ago, soupkids said:

funny thing about this is most of the moose I have seen have been in the not north areas between Bancroft, Dorset, and minden

That area is kinda close to Algonquin park.

Lots of wildlife.

Watch out for bears this week, with the spring weather we are having :) 

It seems the reality is you don't need to go that far north to see moose. Port Severn / Mac Tier area is far enough. I am not suggesting there are lots of them but they are there. A few years ago I was on Six Mile Lake at the far east end. There is a spot that narrows down in places to about the width of a driveway. (Green circle) I wondered how far I could go in my 14 ft. aluminum using an electric motor. I got back in quite away and just ahead I saw a bull moose stick it's head out of the dense trees to take a drink. I'm guessing that using the electric motor it didn't even hear me coming. I stopped and watched from about 50 ft. away. It was an impressive sight.

The only other time was winter on trail 17 not far from Swift Rapids. This time it was a cow and calf standing in the middle of the trail. We came around a bend and they were a couple of hundred feet ahead. We just stopped and watched. They eventually wandered off.

Capture.JPG

I saw one in Huntsville once on the sled trail 82 just west of D.

Stooped at road crossing looked to the right...what the Hell...big one staring at me from 20 ft away

The wildlife you can see while out sledding is one of the key attractions of the sport for us. Also one of the reasons we move at a good clip however we don't race from point A to point B. You miss too much.

One of our favourite spots is Swift Rapids lock on the Trent Severn. At the intersection of trail 12 and trail 17 is the house where the person who looks after the dam lives. He feeds the deer in his yard. It's not unusual to come out of the trees and see a dozen or more deer feeding beside his house.

12 is one of our favourite trails. It's a bit twisty and you can't go too quickly but part of why we like it. Two years ago we were on the trail and came around the bend to find 4 deer standing in the middle of the trail. We waited a while and they started to move on. We kept our distance and a short time later we caught up to them again. One looked back as if to say, you again. They moved on again and this happened a couple more times. They then wandered off into the trees about 50 ft and watched us go by. I could see them heading back to the trail after we passed.

We have stopped on the top of the side wall of the lock between it and the dam and looked at the scenery down below. We often see deer walking around on their hind legs eating the growth off of the evergreen trees.

I sure wish those trails would open up and the lakes freeze up. It's one of our favourite places to ride.

A friend of ours while out with a group has encountered moose on the old rail trail between Coldwater and Couchiching as well.

A moose is not something I want to tick off. Score would be moose 1 snowmobile 0.

You got that score right. There was a motorcycle rider some years ago on Hwy. 11 who hit a moose. All he got was a broken finger. They say that if it wasn't for the type of fairing and the strength of it that was on the bike, he would have been killed. Moose 0 Bike 1

Those odds hardly ever happen. Nobody asked him where the horseshoe was.

On the Rap run last March came across this big cow, it took its time eating shrubs and meandering down the trail .Took us 20-25 minutes to get by till someone came from the opposite direction and it went off the trail. 

2016-03-01 2016-03-30 001 005.JPG

Seen this cow and calf "along" the trail yesterday, does that count.

Attachment-1.jpeg

22 minutes ago, shawnj said:

Seen this cow and calf "along" the trail yesterday, does that count.

Attachment-1.jpeg

No, those are southern cows and calves, need to head north ;)

37 minutes ago, jjbffb said:

No, those are southern cows and calves, need to head north ;)

It was along railbed near Pembroke.  I walked down to take a closer pic.  Moma didn't like that too much.  I thought if I talked nice she'd be at ease.  I took my pic just as she was starting to get uneasy.  Not that I was all that close, zoomed in pic.   Now getting back up and to my sled was a pretty slow process.  I went from standing in snow, to being on my knees then pretty much on my belly trying to swim my way back up onto the railbed and grabbed my bumper on my sled.

Good thing the cow didn't decide to step over the two foot fence.   

Last season in sudbury sledding we followed this moose and took a little video with a hand held camera at maximum zoom. It was a great experience. He was looking to get off the trail the whole time I followed him way back !

Archived