Snowmobile accident Petawawa

Grimm

had it happen up here and we did get sued over it and found partially at fault

On 1/17/2017 at 10:55 AM, Grimm said:

If alcohol was a factor, then the rider should place the blame on his buddies riding with him at the time.  They should be held liable too.

This is the same mentality that has people trying to hold OFSC or landowners accountable for their actions when the f@#k up.  Stop trying to pass the buck.  Be a man and be accountable for your actions. 

10 hours ago, Guy JR said:

This is the same mentality that has people trying to hold OFSC or landowners accountable for their actions when the f@#k up.  Stop trying to pass the buck.  Be a man and be accountable for your actions. 

Good first post. Look forward to more.

I hope the SOB is really sore and gets the book thrown at him. Love the sport but sick and tired of these douche bags that wanna drink and ride and speed and not share the trail and risking my life!

1 hour ago, sledzz said:

I hope the SOB is really sore and gets the book thrown at him. Love the sport but sick and tired of these douche bags that wanna drink and ride and speed and not share the trail and risking my life!

I'll bet right about now he is getting the message and learning his lesson. Busted up body, busted up machine, legal issues and embarassment from within his family and from outside the family. That's more than enough for any normal man to change his ways.

You would think so but you never know. An old friend of mine was with the OPP. They stopped a person for driving drunk and suspended license. He had to report for finger printing at a later date. When he showed up he was drunk. They assumed someone had driven him there. As he was leaving the building they thought, no he wouldn't have would he. Following him outside they found he was about to get in his car and drive away. They stopped him and charged him yet again.

There is no denying few if any of us are perfect angels, yes especially on our sleds. However, riding hard n fast is one thing, doing it impaired is a whole other ball game.

Pressure to change has to come from those that ride with these peeps. Tell them to frig off if they need to ride n drink, you don't want to be a part of it.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

You would think so but you never know. An old friend of mine was with the OPP. They stopped a person for driving drunk and suspended license. He had to report for finger printing at a later date. When he showed up he was drunk. They assumed someone had driven him there. As he was leaving the building they thought, no he wouldn't have would he. Following him outside they found he was about to get in his car and drive away. They stopped him and charged him yet again.

One thing WILL straighten him out - JAIL

I drank & drove a few times in my youth, many years ago when I was a younger man.  Once got pulled over by the OPP, me and a friend on our bikes after a few beers, got a 12 hour suspension, the experience was more of a laugh than anything, all in good fun (and I was by no means hammered).  Another time I don't remember leaving the strip joint, drove the pickup down an old mining road, was givin' er pretty good, wound up the old Ford nosed-into a ditch, no damage, just stuck.  Came to, trying to shovel the front of the truck out, couldn't shovel or I'd fall down; took a nap on the seat, came to a couple hours after that, slightly more functional... still dark, still stuck ... took another nap.  Woke up around 8am, not the foggiest friggin' ideer where I was at... road was big mine rock base, was near a mine ... started walking, and walkiing, and walking ... 1 1/2 hours before I got to the closest house, then realized where I was,, and not where I thought I was (GPS didn't exist back then).  Walked another 45 minutes to town and got a friend to pull me out, got home, shower, got to work with 5 minutes to spare.  

When we got back to the truck to yank it out, we saw the path I had taken ... I was going a dangerously high speed, made corners I thought would be impossible, plowed thru a pile of tires blocking an entrance to a bush road (tires 150 feet away), went down the road a ways and almost came to a stop in time but just slid into the ditch.  That was a very "sobering" experience.  I knew then and there that I wasn't to drive again after drinking.  Could have killed myself, or much worse, someone else.  And there was a couple of other instances where I clearly had too much.  Not something I'm proud of, but I'm glad I have learned many things along the way (no casualties btw...)

I rode from K.L. to Sesekinika Resort way back when with a friend on our sleds, had a couple of beers and a bowl of chili, I can honestly say I didn't like the feeling of riding a sled with a buzz.  Not one bit.  The ride back was at a nice leisurely pace, so as to not wrap our sleds around any trees.  Never again did I ride a sled after more than 1 beer.  This was a couple of weeks before (or after) the owner of a local sled shop/marine dealer almost killed himself on the same trail.  

I guess drinking and driving (or riding or whatever) is something that some of us go through when growing up, others not.  I grew out of it, others don't, and for others it's an illness, an addiction.  For them it's not something easily corrected, it's built into their system.   

I am very fortunate that no one was injured from my foolishness, and I hope that by sharing my experience, that maybe someone down the road will read this and realize that there's another way, a friend, an Officer, Doctor, ANYONE, that can help them get home safe.

Archived