Quebec Ideas

monte1214

Looking for something in QC within 6-7hrs of the GTA.  

We want a hotel that we can stage out of and ride daily (200-300km) loops from.

All help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Val-d'or, hotel Forestel. 

how do you plan your routes. I use the OFSC map here, do they have something that shows routes and trail conditions?

there is a app for the quebec trails for your phone its work great  i motoneige on the fcmq web site

Victoriaville is a good place about 7 hrs drive , two hrs south east of Montreal great trails

Your can't really go wrong but Val D'or allows you routes in each direction.  The hotel is nice and the trails are usually great.

Personally I like the Mont Laurier area . Very central to do day trips from in all direction, North and east of town is the best trails. Devils Mountain and Chute Windigo to check out. 

Google Woodrunner Trails for more info. several nice lodges to make as destinations for lunch or supper.

Comfort Inn is where I've stayed last couple times, heading back there mid Feb.

6 hour drive from Bowmanville, 2 hours straight N of Ottawa.

Depends what type of riding you like. Val'Dor is flat , fast and straight for the most part.

Mont Laurier is winding , hilly, grooming is usually excellent.

PM me f want more info. Port Perry is my local club.

Welcome to the forum Fuse6

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:33 PM, barberch said:

how do you plan your routes. I use the OFSC map here, do they have something that shows routes and trail conditions?

Quebec trail conditions for the various regions are available at http://www.motoneiges.ca/actions/showConditionsSentierFCMQ?lg=fr

The Quebec trail map and itinerary planner are at http://fcmq.viaexplora.com/carte-motoneige/indexen.html

The Abitibi QC region is real nice!

Val D'or and the Forestel is nice too, hotel is real nice.

Mont Laurier was nice, however the year we rode through that region, was actually a bad spell of weather in QC....

Don't think you want to venture any or much further south of Mont Laurier. 

Lots of options and I do not think you will be disappointed.

I rode QC area last weekend for 3 days. I can confirm it is winter up there.. Maniwaki and to the NW area through  La Domaine and  into the La V park. ... huge snow banks and sweet smooth  trails.   Met about 30 sleds in 600 miles.  Enjoy.  

We ran out of Auberge le CAbanon in Saint Zenon and rode all the areas that Fuse6 spoke of. Loved it.  The groomers are parked on the premises, motel has secure parking, clean rooms, good restaurant, pool and hot tub.  Very nice owner and SUPER snowmobile friendly.  Can't wait to go back.  Actually we are planning on going there next week if rooms available.  LOL  Weather looks decent with a little new snow. As soon as I finish typing I am calling to find out more accurate info.  We just used the paper trail maps and asked at the front desk if there was any issues anywhere.  They were GREAT!!  I have to agree with Fuse6 there's an awesome variety of riding with magnificent views.   We went to West Yellowstone a few years back and the scenery here was pretty darn similar.  See attached pics from Feb.2016 when there was no snow in D8 and D9.  D7 had minimal trails open at this time of year last yearIMG_3981.JPGIMG_4123.JPGIMG_4341.JPGIMG_4426.JPGIMG_4458.JPG

On 2017-01-16 at 6:45 PM, Fuse6 said:

Personally I like the Mont Laurier area . Very central to do day trips from in all direction, North and east of town is the best trails. Devils Mountain and Chute Windigo to check out. 

Google Woodrunner Trails for more info. several nice lodges to make as destinations for lunch or supper.

Comfort Inn is where I've stayed last couple times, heading back there mid Feb.

6 hour drive from Bowmanville, 2 hours straight N of Ottawa.

Depends what type of riding you like. Val'Dor is flat , fast and straight for the most part.

Mont Laurier is winding , hilly, grooming is usually excellent.

PM me f want more info. Port Perry is my local club.

Windigo

On 2017-01-15 at 11:59 AM, monte1214 said:

Looking for something in QC within 6-7hrs of the GTA.  

We want a hotel that we can stage out of and ride daily (200-300km) loops from.

All help is appreciated!

Thanks!

IMG_2746.PNG

Booked in for Jan.23rd to Jan.27th at Auberge Le Cabanon!!! 

24 minutes ago, EJones said:

IMG_2746.PNG

Not good news. I was both a farmer and a snowmobiler when a similar form of protest happened in Ontario a few years back.

I attended and spoke at a number of meetings with a perspective on both sides of the fence.

It's holding a multi-million dollar industry hostage (sledding), but the farmer/land owner has the last say. Just as we are seeing in Ontario with the idiots on private land issues. This should be an eye opener for a lot of people.

Hopefully the blockades can be averted for the sake of all.

Apparantly quebec's dairy farmers have had enough of trudeau. Us is importing milk solids into Canadian market that is being used to make yougurt, cheese etc. These milk solids even come from cows that are fed BSE (been banned in Canada for a decade). Problem is milk solids isn't fluid milk, so it comes in tarrif free. That cheap chocolate milk in the stores comes from the US too. Once you add chocolate to the milk, it isn't pure milk so comes in tarrif free too.

Same thing has been happening in poultry too. They add sauce to the chicken usually separate packags and comes in tarrif free (because it is less then 87 percent chicken).

They also mix spent fowl with good broiler meat and bring it in duty free (a load only has to be 51% spent fowl and can contain up to 49 broiler meet and come into Canada duty free. When I see un labelled ground chicken, I won't buy it.

Government needs to wake up and enforce trade rules and close up the famous loop holes.

3 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

They also mix spent fowl with good broiler meat and bring it in duty free (a load only has to be 51% spent fowl and can contain up to 49 broiler meet and come into Canada duty free. When I see un labelled ground chicken, I won't buy it.

Government needs to wake up and enforce trade rules and close up the famous loop holes.

When you say 'spent fowl', do you mean chickens that have outlived their usefulness at laying eggs or something else?

Interesting insights by the way....

Kinda makes you think the "powers that be" might want to stop F-ing around and attend to the matters at hand, don't it?

I suspect there's going to be some serious hand wringing after today's big event...

I'm off to "la Belle Province" tomorrow. I'll try to get some pics, perhaps for posterity.

21 hours ago, slomo said:

When you say 'spent fowl', do you mean chickens that have outlived their usefulness at laying eggs or something else?

Interesting insights by the way....

Spent Fowl is mostly old broiler breeders. They are big birds that are used to supply the eggs for hatching chicks. Suppliers basically get them for free in the US, so they put 51% spent hens on the truck and then 49% younger broilers to beat tarrif rate quota at Canadian boarder. Now when they get to the Canadian boarder they hand them the slip calling the load spent fowl (any load containing 50 percent spent hens or higher comes in tarrif free for the moment. These are all live chicken shipments.

Also there have been reports of suppliers putting spent fowl stickers on cases of good us broiler meat, to get around Canadian tarrifs. Once the cases cross the canadian boarder, the stickers are removed before the chicken reaches it's destination. This has been an ongoing problem for 10 years now. 

Spent fowl is used mostly in ground up chicken products and soups and well marinated chicken products.

Well back on track here.  Although i do like chicken lol.  Trails in Quebec City are great..  four points sheraton is a great spot to go.  Lots of trailer and sled parking.  All under video survalence.

On 1/16/2017 at 8:20 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Quebec trail conditions for the various regions are available at http://www.motoneiges.ca/actions/showConditionsSentierFCMQ?lg=fr

The Quebec trail map and itinerary planner are at http://fcmq.viaexplora.com/carte-motoneige/indexen.html

I just tried the map and there doesn't appear to be alot of places to get fuel. Is there more than what the map shows?

10 hours ago, barberch said:

I just tried the map and there doesn't appear to be alot of places to get fuel. Is there more than what the map shows?

We have always been able to find fuel. It does take planning and I don't believe that all fuel stops are on this map. It may be a case where you have to pay to be on the map. In Gaspe for instance, we always fuel where we see fuel close, often in small villages close or on the trail because it is usually a few kilometres or more into the bigger centres. If you want to PM me with your route, I would be happy to help however I can with fuel stops.

15 hours ago, barberch said:

Barberch.  Some areas of Quebec it can be a bit of a ride before fuel stops.  But the majority seems good for gas stops.  The paper maps show quite a few actually.  We have rode in a few areas now and we didn't have any issues finding fuel along the way.  Trails were marked VERY Well also.IMG_4009 - Copy.JPG

Archived