What was your first sled?

THE GOVERNOR

1970 250 Elan...bought it from a friend who had recovered it from the bottom of the lake , we ran it for five years after, the carb had a habit if freezing/frosting up in cold weather so many a hot coffee was wasted pouring it over to get it running again on those minus 20 days.

One time helped my brother in law change the engine of his Olympic in the middle of Dunlop Lake ( Elliot Lake area) both of us on my Elan with another engine between us to rescue the Olympic before the slush locked it in.............good times

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1987 Yamaha Phazer fun little sled.

399 Nordic followed by a 440 TNT. Never blew a belt or broke anything on either but sure went through a lot of plugs. 

1973 Roll-O-Flex 340 Apache. The Roll-O-Flex was made in western Canada by a farm equipment manufacturer. The Apache body was a copy of an Arctic Cat Puma, mine had a Yamaha 340 twin but they had also used CCW & Kohler's, and the "Superflexion" suspension was more or less a copy of the Scorpion para-rail suspension. The suspension had all the negative attributes of a bogie suspension along with the negative attributes of a slider suspension. 

First sled was a 1979 7500 Plus. It was a fun 340 liquid. 

1979_SKI_DOO_7500Blizzard.jpg~original.jpeg

$(KGrHqF,!iUE2Lec+P26BN)BN(n8+w~~_12.JPG

72 TX 340 in a basket.

55 minutes ago, Reved said:

First sled was a 1979 7500 Plus. It was a fun 340 liquid. 

1979_SKI_DOO_7500Blizzard.jpg~original.jpeg

$(KGrHqF,!iUE2Lec+P26BN)BN(n8+w~~_12.JPG

I hate you LOL

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

72 TX 340 in a basket.

Please tell me you still have it ..... 

Sadly I don't

14 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Sadly I don't

One of those coulda woulda shoulda things. .. I've got one with my TX-L. ...

15 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

One of those coulda woulda shoulda things. .. I've got one with my TX-L. ...

I think we all have at least one of those afterthoughts.

Started way back with my Dad's '67 Super Olympic.  "Super" meant 16 HP instead of the standard 12.  First sled I bought myself was a '73 TNT (Silver Bullet).

Russian snowmobile "BURAN" 1979 year

buran.jpg

22 minutes ago, THE GOVERNOR said:

Looks like a Ski-Doo Alpine to me. The Soviets would have never stolen a design, would they?

Yes, they look pretty similar, not sure may be they use some innovation from Alpine.

first sled is still my sled..lol...1971 Sno Jet Super Jet

IMG_0378.JPG

burke 2014 06.jpg

This was the first sled I rode. Wolverine in kid size. I was about 4yrs old. Rode and jumped it enough to break the transverse from leaf spring a couple of times.

Dad changed sleds like underwear and I rode a huge number of sleds after that, my favourite from that time being the Jag 3000.

First sled I bought was a JD Spitfire that we rescued from a scrap pile of a relative who stole the brake system for a go cart.

First trail sled that I bought was a 1987 Ski-doo MX470.

Been Cat's ever since.

WOLVERINE_1_SW90.jpg

Started out on my parents 400 Ski Whiz first sled I bought was a 1976 Skiroule 440 Ultra found out after I bought it company went out of business. Used to ride everywhere back than no real trail system. I did belong to the Manotick Piston Poppers just when trails were starting south of Ottawa.

didnt own my first sled till I was bout 21. Bought a 2000 Indy 500 xcsp. Loved it!! However as a youngster I remember ripping around on mom and dads sleds. Late 70's tx 340 for mom and 79 centurion 500 triple for pops! Loved that 500!! Be nice to locate one and restore!!have had several sleds since and absolutely love this sport!!

Great topic.

Parents purchased a 1973 Moto Ski Futura 440. Could've purchased a 1974 but dealer (local gas station) said that new emission controls robbed the sled of horsepower. Green Power would have to wait until the next sled. "Put away" in the mid to late 80's, school, wife, family, employment.   Interestingly, 20 years until the next sled - 1993 Arctic Cat EXT.  A few more Arctic Cats, a fan cooled Polaris for the kids, and then I saw the light - Yamaha.   Now on a hybrid - YamaCat.  

21 hours ago, revrnd said:

I hate you LOL

It just means I was later getting into the game. No access to sleds as a kid.

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

Great topic.

Parents purchased a 1973 Moto Ski Futura 440. Could've purchased a 1974 but dealer (local gas station) said that new emission controls robbed the sled of horsepower. Green Power would have to wait until the next sled. "Put away" in the mid to late 80's, school, wife, family, employment.   Interestingly, 20 years until the next sled - 1993 Arctic Cat EXT.  A few more Arctic Cats, a fan cooled Polaris for the kids, and then I saw the light - Yamaha.   Now on a hybrid - YamaCat.  

i thought you was always going to be a yamaha rider

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

Great topic.

lol no emissions controls on two stroke back then. But Moto ski did go from BSE engines to Rotax that year 

Archived