What was your first sled?

THE GOVERNOR

1972 moto ski capri description to the left margin.Cant believe today thats what hooked me even tho my buddies where driving sonics/rv/blizzards.I beat the crap out of that sled as it did to me.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2002 Skidoo Grand Touring we bought mid season. Didn't last too long for us. We got a two up because my wife said she would want to come with me once in a blue moon. She was a passenger way too often and didn't enjoy being a passenger. It lasted that half season and the next season. It became real clear half way through that first full season we needed to be a two sled family. The first sled of her own was a 2004 Legend 700.

1971 Moto-ski cadet. I  grew up in Havelock and my Father owned the local Texaco gs station. He started selling moto ski in 1970. He would sell a sled and then make a lifelong friend out the buyer usually. My brother took me out to a an open field started it and told me to go . I foolishly blip blip blipped the throttle for one lap and stopped in front of my Brother. He stated that blipping the throttle does not accomplish anything and taught me the importance of being smooth first and then fast later. I have snickered at guys that feel the need to blip the throttle for attention ever since, especially the guys with cans.

Brand new 1972 non current in 1973     SL 292 Yamaha   it had a hard seat with maybe an inch of foam, which was to my advantage at 8 years old because my Dad with his tall whiskey glass in his hand said to me in front of everyone if you can start it its yours. Well i wasted no time flipped the choke pulled the decomp jumped up on the seat and pull the rip cord with all my might BBrap she fired up and I was gone riding ever since.  

36 minutes ago, pt3189 said:

I foolishly blip blip blipped the throttle for one lap and stopped in front of my Brother. He stated that blipping the throttle does not accomplish anything and taught me the importance of being smooth first and then fast later. I have snickered at guys that feel the need to blip the throttle for attention ever since, especially the guys with cans.

I call that "FLICK FINGER".  You hear it all the time in the motel parking lots when you want to sleep.  A good wack with a hammer with the right thumb on the anvil will fix that.  You should see what that flick does to the slide linkage in flat slide carbs.

BP

My first sled is.... well... my current sled. :) 1995 XLT 600 (very similar to my avatar, but that's not technically mine.) Added a 98 Indy 440 trail 2up for my second sled. 

Still going strong, though I grabbed a parts machine for it, as needed to replace the skid due to oblong hole that would constantly shed bolts and eventually munged the shock mounts last year from all the twisting and hard riding up in muskoka last year.

It's still a blast and love the thing. :)

First sled I owned was a '69 Skidoo Nordic.  371 twin, 18 inch track, e-start, '71 hood with flip-up headlight, cigarette lighter, and a chrome tree crasher bumper.

Borrowed it from my brother and it broke, go fiqure.  So I bought it from him and began of a lifetime of wrenching!

I grew up with the good fortune of having a father who loved snowmobiles and was addicted to speed . Learned to ride on a 75' Sno Twister, 77' RV and 78' Blizzard all three of which we still have. Their was a SRX and a couple of Indys mixed in there as well, obviously my Mother was much more understanding than my wife. I remember all the other kids around had Bravos or Citations and the requests to swap rides was never ending. What I remember most was the snow,we would ride from late November thur to March every year. This is my first Winter in Ontario having moved from Down east and I sure hope this winter is not the norm. Be safe Gentlemen.

32 minutes ago, Rob said:

I grew up with the good fortune of having a father who loved snowmobiles and was addicted to speed . Learned to ride on a 75' Sno Twister, 77' RV and 78' Blizzard all three of which we still have. Their was a SRX and a couple of Indys mixed in there as well, obviously my Mother was much more understanding than my wife. I remember all the other kids around had Bravos or Citations and the requests to swap rides was never ending. What I remember most was the snow,we would ride from late November thur to March every year. This is my first Winter in Ontario having moved from Down east and I sure hope this winter is not the norm. Be safe Gentlemen.

I moved to Ontario from down east as well, back in '69. I remember incredible amounts of snow and long winters back in the 50's and 60's in Cape Breton. Ontario used to have incredible long, snowy winters too, but deep down, I feel this is the norm now. There used to be a lodge called the Algonquin Inn (or something like that) in Lake St. Peter. They used to mark the snowfall against a huge back window on the window frame, one notch per year. You could see the descending graph all the way from the 70's into the 90's . I don't think it is there anymore.

wow lots of downhomers here, growing up in the eastcoast i still remember my mother warning me not to touch the hydro wires cause the drifts would be that high. 

my first sled was a 16 twin elan, from there i went to a 22ss elan then many more sleds after that.

My first sled was really my moms 1985 Indy Trail 440 fan. 

First sled I bought was off dad, his 1987 Indy 600 triple. 

Learned on Dads 1977 TX  440 and 1980 Centurion 500 triple.

Dad was a Doo guy before 1977, started with a 1971 TNT 775 twin free air. He didn't keep it long cause the twin carbs had separate choke controls which made it a real pain to start so mid season he traded it for a 440. 

36 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

wow lots of downhomers here, growing up in the eastcoast i still remember my mother warning me not to touch the hydro wires cause the drifts would be that high. 

my first sled was a 16 twin elan, from there i went to a 22ss elan then many more sleds after that.

My wife and kids have laughed at me for years when I mention that we could walk along the tops of the power poles like that. They think I totally exaggerate that. We were also warned not to tunnel under those snow banks because of dangerous collapses. All true.

The first sled showed up at our household when I was in my mid-teens...a '68 Ski-Doo Super Olympique, which was a 300cc,16-hp marvel with bogies and a flip-up headlight....certainly not fast, but fun because it was very light, so you didn't mind getting it stuck.  Next sled to arrive was a '69 Nordic 371 twin, 24 hp and would go like stink compared to the SO...but we were always changing plugs in it too.  Then added to the fleet was a 1970 335 Olympique, another single which was all of 18 hp...but at least it didn't have the same appetite for plugs...and the last sled added to the family fleet in those days was a '71 Nordic twin (399cc, I think), which was a big heavy beast.  

The first sled that I ever bought myself was a '78 RV 340 rotary-valve...very light with an aluminum tunnel and really wide ski stance for its' day. Man, would that thing go!...and the handling was awesome...but it was a free-air, so it didn't like to keep belts intact on those warmer late-winter days, and the gas tank was only about 4 gallons, so not much range.  Ahhh, the "good old days"...LOL

40 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

My wife and kids have laughed at me for years when I mention that we could walk along the tops of the power poles like that. They think I totally exaggerate that. We were also warned not to tunnel under those snow banks because of dangerous collapses. All true.

A person I worked with was originally from The Rock and his family still lived there. He said his dad sent him a picture. It snowed again overnight and they couldn't get out the front door it was too deep. The picture was taken by his mom leaning out one bedroom window taking a picture of his dad climbing out an adjacent bedroom window stepping down a few feet onto the hard pack snow. They were second floor bedrooms.

34 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

A person I worked with was originally from The Rock and his family still lived there. He said his dad sent him a picture. It snowed again overnight and they couldn't get out the front door it was too deep. The picture was taken by his mom leaning out one bedroom window taking a picture of his dad climbing out an adjacent bedroom window stepping down a few feet onto the hard pack snow. They were second floor bedrooms.

Too funny ! As the oldest of 9 kids, it was my job to dig out the door in the morning. Many times out the window. Always kept the snow shovel inside so as to find it. :) 

I bought my first sled 5 yrs. ago. It was an 02 viper, it is now in parts in my shed. I use them for my second 02 viper.

MY 1st sled was a year old '81 Elan.

1969 olympic ski doo

Our first sleds were a 1978 Everest 440 and a 1979 olympique 340.  I think they were bought at the same time by my folks.  They then bought an Olympique 300 with a 340 motor in it for us kids.  I forget the year of it now though. 

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

MY 1st sled was a year old '81 Elan.

Same one your nephew beats on from time to time ?

LOL Yes! Call me a pack rat. We did an ethnic cleansing of our sled shop a couple of years ago. Got rid of all the "non-current" parts we had taking up space.

1968 Skidoo Olympic

On 2017-01-15 at 0:56 AM, revrnd said:

Welcome to OC. Where in the kawarthas did you ride as a kid?

Our 1st sled was a '70 'doo Olympique 335 single.

Me too. and a 69 12 horse. That one sucked as it had a metal integral gas tank which rusted and clogged up the fuel filter all the time.

Archived