why are all the trails still showing red?

woody

ive been hoping to get out somewhere other then coldwater midland area.the rail bed and surrounding trails.can anybody please let me know how we can have all this snow and the interactive map still shows red.i understand most trails cross lakes which might not be ready yet,but there are still many loops which don't cross lakes.any thoughts??

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit that the title of your post worried me.  However, you have asked the question in a respectful manner looking for information.

I am not sure what area of the province you are looking at, so I will be general in my response.

I can give you some scenarios that may answer your questions.  Remember that all of the volunteers that are trying to open the trails are also sledders and are also dying to get out on the trails.

While the trails may not cross lakes or rivers, there are a number of wet areas that are not freezing up yet and a groomer cannot cross.  These wet spots have been a bane for a number of clubs as they can cut us off from large areas.  We have an area where the recent rains have backed up a stream to the point that the bridge over the stream (usually 2 - 3 ft above the water level) is under water, as is the area before and after the bridge.

Another issue that happens is that landowners can have crops that are not yet off the fields and do not want us on there yet.  It is their land, and we must respect their decisions.

Other areas can be very rough terrain and need significant snow to cover the outcroppings and rocks.  The snow this year has not been consistent yet across the province and some of these areas cannot be opened yet.

I hope this helps explain some of the issues that the clubs face to open trails.

Add to that the fact that sometimes the equipment breaks down and needs to be repaired.

Thanks Sledjunk. Almost need an FAQ department. Kind of amazing what nature can present.

45 minutes ago, woody said:

ive been hoping to get out somewhere other then coldwater midland area.the rail bed and surrounding trails.can anybody please let me know how we can have all this snow and the interactive map still shows red.i understand most trails cross lakes which might not be ready yet,but there are still many loops which don't cross lakes.any thoughts??

welcome aboard

its coming we all need to be a little patient , luckily i have kawartha lakes and twin mountains to ride in right now, but with the weird weather we have lots of snow but very little frozen ground that has caused washouts in areas can be dangerous also have a couple clubs lacking grommer operators slowing us down.

these cold temps next few days look foward to many more openings

There's actually been many trails yellow this year, and early.... perhaps not in the areas everyone would like, so a drive/trailer might be in order.

Still early too...things should be rockin more soon!

Another reason is in recent days some areas have got enough freezing rain and high winds to bring down a lot of trees across the trails. Mazinaw power lines club has closed all their trails yesterday because of this. 

I truly believe Mother Nature HATES the south part of Ontario. 

Another lesser reason is that each Club must submit a form to the District verifying that the signing on each trail or section of trail has been verified as being in place in accordance with the OFSC Sign Manual.

After that the District needs to login to the OFSC Trail Database and update each section of trail that is being designated Available or Limited.

All of this can take time and in some instances a District Office is hit with lots of changes at one time (now for instance) and this takes time.  

Some Districts may likely close for the weekend too.

There is nothing more than getting trails open that the Club Volunteers want to do but there are many factors that come into play, everyone needs to stay patient.

Another lesser reason is that each Club must submit a form to the District verifying that the signing on each trail or section of trail is in place in accordance with the OFSC Sign Manual.

After that the District needs to login to the OFSC Trail Database and update each section of trail that is being designated Available or Limited.

All of this can take time and in some instances a District Office is hit with lots of changes at one time (now for instance) and this takes time.  

Some Districts may likely close for the weekend too.

There is nothing more than getting trails open that the Club Volunteers want to do but there are many factors that come into play, everyone needs to stay patient.

Mother Nature has been a bit cruel. The early snows were fluffy and early , came before we had a good deep freeze . Then rain. Then ice. Clubs in my area have worked their butts off to fill holes and get to yellow. Pretty sure 7 days will make a huge difference on the map. 

Water i would think is what's keeping trails red in parts. Still lots of water around my place with lots of snow also. This is a pretty good start of the season in my books. 

I would  feel pretty crappy listing a trail as limited and then have a family come along and encounter this slop.

We are just off the rail bed north of Coldwater. We don't have the luxury of a high and dry rail bed or logging roads or farmers fields.

I will be heading out in the morning to pack from Port Severn to the Rail bed tomorrow with hopes of listing C-trail to Port Severn as limited. We needed to wait for more cold and snow to get things safer for everyone's riding experience... 

Paul Ineson

Vice President 

Baxter Snow Riders

District 7

IMG_3379.JPGIMG_3382.JPG

Even yellow trails can be problematic with dips, dives and water. I saw a bunch of that today.. One of the concerns for a club is safety. One rider coming toward me, straight ahead trail but real bumpy was going at a good clip. He didn't see the three foot wide one foot deep rut across the width of the trail. He hit it and he went one way while the sled went another..

9 hours ago, gsx6 said:

Another reason is in recent days some areas have got enough freezing rain and high winds to bring down a lot of trees across the trails. Mazinaw power lines club has closed all their trails yesterday because of this. 

I truly believe Mother Nature HATES the south part of Ontario. 

Paudash is dealling w/ this near the clubhouse and Harcourt. I guess the maple Leaf club north of Bancroft got hit too.

The ice storm has caused big problems on the B to Whitney and E trails. E has been opened up and will get checked tonite. The Whitney run is being dealt with now but will probably take a day or two to fix.

Livin'

2 hours ago, livin' on the b103 said:

The ice storm has caused big problems on the B to Whitney and E trails. E has been opened up and will get checked tonite. The Whitney run is being dealt with now but will probably take a day or two to fix.

Livin'

X2

In the 80s & 90s the clubs wanted sledders to get out & pack before the groomers went out. 

Now everything has to be copacetic before sledders can venture out.

36 minutes ago, revrnd said:

X2

In the 80s & 90s the clubs wanted sledders to get out & pack before the groomers went out. 

Now everything has to be copacetic before sledders can venture out.

Lot of truth in that.

If we wait for pristine it will never happen but I certain do understand the concerns. I had a pack of 16 sleds pass me at a road crossing yesterday on closed trails. Mom's Dad's, kids.

What is the solution?

42 minutes ago, Faceman said:

Lot of truth in that.

If we wait for pristine it will never happen but I certain do understand the concerns. I had a pack of 16 sleds pass me at a road crossing yesterday on closed trails. Mom's Dad's, kids.

What is the solution?

Good Question!

1 hour ago, Faceman said:

I had a pack of 16 sleds pass me at a road crossing yesterday on closed trails. Mom's Dad's, kids.

What is the solution?

L-Wile-E-Coyote-Acme.jpg

Southern Ontario trails are awesome right now with ample amounts of snow. Already logged over 700kms this season and plenty more to come. It's all listed as yellow but believe me, there's tons of snow, and trails were groomed everywhere on Friday and yesterday! If you have a trailer, come check out our neck of the fields! Lol

31 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Southern Ontario trails are awesome right now with ample amounts of snow. Already logged over 700kms this season and plenty more to come. It's all listed as yellow but believe me, there's tons of snow, and trails were groomed everywhere on Friday and yesterday! If you have a trailer, come check out our neck of the fields! Lol

You might want to check the OFSC map. Still a lot of red in southern Ontario 15 minutes ago.

image.png

looks like lots of yellow where I'm talking about...

Check my post & pics in the "today" thread in the Off Topic section.

7 hours ago, Faceman said:

Lot of truth in that.

What is the solution?

Enforcement with some real consequences that hit home hard. I saw close to 20 sleds today without permits. In a group I would see almost all with permits accept maybe a couple. Those with permits should be telling those in their group without to stay home until they have one. 

Archived