why are all the trails still showing red?

woody

22 hours ago, lastzrt said:

Was out for a ride with my son yesterday. Got waved through a roadside OPP check north of Seaforth after they quickly glanced over for trail permit and valid reg. sticker, he said that's all they were checking for. Very encouraging!

They had two younger fellas pulled off their sleds and standing there. They had no visible trail permits.

Last year OPP stopped out side a local club shack. They pulled a number of non-compliant riders off the trail for license and insurance issues, but I heard a number of times, "you really should have a trail permit too". I asked them about why no enforcement specifically on the permit isuue, I was told that was not what they were mandated to check for.

Saw a guy at Timmies in Mitchell on Sat.  I was standing behind him, and curiosity got the best  of me.  He had a ticket in his hand, and while trying to inconspicuously see what it was, it looked like a ticket for not displaying a valid trail pass.  He showed up with a sled in a trailer behind his pu truck

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Dave K said:

Saw a guy at Timmies in Mitchell on Sat.  I was standing behind him, and curiosity got the best  of me.  He had a ticket in his hand, and while trying to inconspicuously see what it was, it looked like a ticket for not displaying a valid trail pass.  He showed up with a sled in a trailer behind his pu truck

Nice to see some enforcement happening.

6 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Edgewater has had a sign at the fuel pump for years that said no permit, no fuel.

How does that work....   you ride up to the pump, fill up, walk inside and pay.  Is that where the cashier ask if you have a permit? :D

If the answer is no...   does the snowmobiler get to ride away...   :ph34r:  with a full tank.

I suppose a pump operator will always have to be present to dispense gas to a sledder. :wtf:

50 minutes ago, Yamaha Fan said:

How does that work....   you ride up to the pump, fill up, walk inside and pay.  Is that where the cashier ask if you have a permit? :D

If the answer is no...   does the snowmobiler get to ride away...   :ph34r:  with a full tank.

I suppose a pump operator will always have to be present to dispense gas to a sledder. :wtf:

These are small mom and pop operations. Not like the major Petro Can on the side of a major road. You've been to the small town gas station where they still come out to pump it. I remember the folks at Jug City on the west side of Penetang Bay, where the trail takes you onto the ice telling me that if they didn't come out and pump it then send you in to pay they would have an awful lot of sleds filling and riding away without paying.

I believe H&H Resort also has the same policy but not sure. During the winter it's only sleds that are getting gas there.

Archived