why are all the trails still showing red?

woody

The Red Skelton Show : News Photo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Enforcement with some real consequences that hit home hard. I saw close to 20 sleds today without permits. In a group I would see almost all with permits accept maybe a couple. Those with permits should be telling those in their group without to stay home until they have one. 

Who is to say the sleds that are not showing a valid season permit have not bought the multi day pass and have a printed copy in their pocket?

I know they are supposed to be taped to the sled (I think).....

No doubt there needs to be more enforcement of permits and a steep fine if caught without one, or a smaller fine for not displaying properly.

Just being devils advocate.

6 hours ago, Baylaker said:

image.png

looks like lots of yellow where I'm talking about...

I have got to agree.

We have had three of the best days in memory for early January.

Thanks to the new Staging link this area has never been more accessible.

The conditions and variety here are awesome, thanks to all the volunteers that made this happen!

It will thaw out quite quickly so go have a look soon.

J-Fly

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Who is to say the sleds that are not showing a valid season permit have not bought the multi day pass and have a printed copy in their pocket?

No doubt there needs to be more enforcement of permits and a steep fine if caught without one, or a smaller fine for not displaying properly.

Some may be day permits however experience tells me that there are by far likely more without any permits than there are with paper day permits. 

Regarding the the fine we are on the same page 

3 hours ago, Blake G said:

The Red Skelton Show : News Photo

good old freddy....:icon_lolsign: i remember as a kid when red skelton used to be on. wouldn't dare walk in front of the TV or the old man you lift ya with a back hander pretty quick

22 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

good old freddy....:icon_lolsign: i remember as a kid when red skelton used to be on. wouldn't dare walk in front of the TV or the old man you lift ya with a back hander pretty quick

Red was almost a religious experience in our house. Watched it more regularly than going to church. I remember he closed the show, "Good night and may God bless"

2 hours ago, stoney said:

From my TP experience, lots of sleds that looked like they didn't have permits either had them in their pocket or placed them in very creative locations. Many put them behind windshield even if it was a solid colour windshield. Weirdest place I saw one was on a front shock body.

43 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Some may be day permits however experience tells me that there are by far likely more without any permits than there are with paper day permits. 

Regarding the the fine we are on the same page 

Possibly....I just really cant get why a group of sledders would allow a non permitted sled to run with them.

There has only been one occasion that I can think of when a group I was riding with had either one or two guys with no permit. It was there first ride for that season, they were from out of town, we all arrived late to the cottage Friday night, but the first place we all rode too in the morning was either MTH or Old Mill to buy permits!

More business' also need to adopt the policy that if you are a sledder with no permit, no gas and no food for you!

15 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

From my TP experience, lots of sleds that looked like they didn't have permits either had them in their pocket or placed them in very creative locations. Many put them behind windshield even if it was a solid colour windshield. Weirdest place I saw one was on a front shock body.

I've been doing TP for quite some time as well and know what you mean about strange places. Then they wonder why they are being asked to stop when the trail permit is on the tunnel hidden by their boot 

I know a few guys early in season with permits in pocket because they wouldn't  stick to sled when cold worried it would come off

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Possibly....I just really cant get why a group of sledders would allow a non permitted sled to run with them.

There has only been one occasion that I can think of when a group I was riding with had either one or two guys with no permit. It was there first ride for that season, they were from out of town, we all arrived late to the cottage Friday night, but the first place we all rode too in the morning was either MTH or Old Mill to buy permits!

More business' also need to adopt the policy that if you are a sledder with no permit, no gas and no food for you!

No business in their right mind would punish themselves because a person has no trail pass.

6 hours ago, zoso said:

No business in their right mind would punish themselves because a person has no trail pass.

Witnessed it in Quebec, more than once....at first we did not know what they were doing.

So it does happen, perhaps not here much or at all.

Understood it is not really the business' problem, they are just making a living, and in the winter, usually off of sledders...so it is a small that thing they could do.

24 minutes ago, stoney said:

Witnessed it in Quebec, more than once....at first we did not know what they were doing.

So it does happen, perhaps not here much or at all.

Understood it is not really the business' problem, they are just making a living, and in the winter, usually off of sledders...so it is a small that thing they could do.

Not all snowmobilers are trailriders.  And just because a gas station is near a trail doesnt mean snowmobile took trail to get there.  Alot of small town businesses are supported religiously by the locals year round.  And not all locals want permits or need permits.  Should they cut them off from service because they didnt buy a trail permit from an organization that has not guaranteed the store/restaurant any business?

I  I know a few families that allow trails across their property but do not buy trail permits as they do not trail ride their snowmobiles.  Should they have to buy a permit also?

9 hours ago, horshackk04 said:

I know a few guys early in season with permits in pocket because they wouldn't  stick to sled when cold worried it would come off

You can assure them that they will stick very solidly even in the cold. Two of my friends put theirs on their sleds on Saturday and they are definitely on there and not about to come off.

7 hours ago, zoso said:

Some do. There are a couple I know of that post no permit no gas. They support the sport and it pays off for them when sledder said with permits opt to buy their gas from there rather than someone else. We support those who support us

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

Not all snowmobilers are trailriders.  And just because a gas station is near a trail doesnt mean snowmobile took trail to get there.  Alot of small town businesses are supported religiously by the locals year round.  And not all locals want permits or need permits.  Should they cut them off from service because they didnt buy a trail permit from an organization that has not guaranteed the store/restaurant any business?

I  I know a few families that allow trails across their property but do not buy trail permits as they do not trail ride their snowmobiles.  Should they have to buy a permit also?

Good point and never thought of it that way...however in Ontario I find it very hard to believe a person can venture out into the bush and not come across an OFSC trail, I know some will argue otherwise and likely could use its own thread for that...

Here is a good example.  Bracebridge probably has the most snow .....but this is why they are not open yet!

http://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/7054584-bracebridge-man-seriously-injured-in-snowmobile-accident/

Very little Freeloading BS in Quebec.

$540 fine is one detriment, secondly their Trail Patrol actually has serious power, not like the OFSC's TP which is nearly useless.

Their Trail Patrol can write you up for other regulation infractions as well, and they do, then deliver the form to the Quebec Provincial Police who send out the ticket in the mail.

They also reimburse TP if they need to attend court.

They mean business and it works, Ontario enforcement is completely broken and needs fixing ASAP as more and more abuse (theft) is likely.

I have not seen a print your own permit, so I am concerned that with today's computer technology a paper permit could easily be duplicated by scanning and using software to create your own permit. 

I think a temp permit like in Quebec would be better and more secure.

Jerry

25 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

I have not seen a print your own permit, so I am concerned that with today's computer technology a paper permit could easily be duplicated by scanning and using software to create your own permit. 

I think a temp permit like in Quebec would be better and more secure.

Jerry

I am sure with today's technology, it is very possible to do.

Was out for a ride with my son yesterday. Got waved through a roadside OPP check north of Seaforth after they quickly glanced over for trail permit and valid reg. sticker, he said that's all they were checking for. Very encouraging!

They had two younger fellas pulled off their sleds and standing there. They had no visible trail permits.

Last year OPP stopped out side a local club shack. They pulled a number of non-compliant riders off the trail for license and insurance issues, but I heard a number of times, "you really should have a trail permit too". I asked them about why no enforcement specifically on the permit isuue, I was told that was not what they were mandated to check for.

30 minutes ago, lastzrt said:

Was out for a ride with my son yesterday. Got waved through a roadside OPP check north of Seaforth after they quickly glanced over for trail permit and valid reg. sticker, he said that's all they were checking for.

They had two younger fellas pulled off their sleds and standing there. They had no visible trail permits.

Last year OPP stopped out side a local club shack. They pulled a number of non-compliant riders off the trail for license and insurance issues, but I heard a number of times, "you really should have a trail permit too". I asked them about why no enforcement specifically on the permit isuue, I was told that was not what they were mandated to check for.

Have seen this forst hand as well.  Permit is by far the last thing most opp are concerned with.  SAVE team is the exception but how many are there?  Not many!

33 minutes ago, stoney said:

For sure.  Thanks ofsc for ramming online only down the pipe!  

Permit sales will be way way down this year. Combination of online online, poor snow last year, inconsistent start this year, too easy to cheat.  (And to think the big reason the did away with the singe day pass was to get rid of guys riding for more than 1 day on a weekend).

I hope I'm wrong.

16 minutes ago, Canadoo said:

Have seen this forst hand as well.  Permit is by far the last thing most opp are concerned with.  SAVE team is the exception but how many are there?  Not many!

For sure.  Thanks ofsc for ramming online only down the pipe!  

Permit sales will be way way down this year. Combination of online online, poor snow last year, inconsistent start this year, too easy to cheat.  (And to think the big reason the did away with the singe day pass was to get rid of guys riding for more than 1 day on a weekend).

I hope I'm wrong.

I am sure there is someone on here that is in the know and can tell us what the numbers for this year are?

The way I am thinking, sales/revenue is likely up....I think the early bird was about the same if not more than last year, and with the early snow & trails that opened early, and after the permit was now full pop, I am sure that got people that were on the fence to spend the full pop :cheers: !

40 minutes ago, stoney said:

It sure is. My wife can (but doesn't) remove watermarks from copyright photos and you'd never know it. 

Archived