OPP had a busy weekend...

dweese

This pushed from Google News this morning...

https://www.guelphtoday.com/local-news/four-charges-laid-in-snowmobile-patrol-502821

OPP patrolled 110kms of trails around Guelph last weekend. 82 sleds stopped 4 charges for not displaying a permit.

So 5% of the sleds where freeloaders.. I guess in the grand scheme of things that's not that bad. As they say about 5% population don't have car insurance, and 5% of the cars on the road are driven by people without a driver's license. So we seem to have a have a 5% stupidity factor in the population already. 

5% may not be accurate, but it's the only hard fact numbers I've seen so base any calculations on, so that's what we have to go with. You'll never get 100%compliance to anything. So if it's truly that low, I guess it's liveable.

27 minutes ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

That is 5% of the people they cam across in the short period they were out there. Too bad they weren't covering some of the closed trails for trespassing charges. At least they were on the snow.

Has a snowmobile or ATV rider ever been charged or fined for trespassing?? 

5 hours ago, Wildbill said:

that is way lower than reality from what I see 

Could be, but it's the only stats I've seen this year so we go with what we have... 

If anyone else sees a report post it up and maybe we can figure out an unofficial number.

2 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

Yes

5 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Yes

Has a snowmobiler with a valid trail permit , while on a legitimate, but "closed" trail ever been charged with trespass ?

30 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

Has a snowmobiler with a valid trail permit , while on a legitimate, but "closed" trail ever been charged with trespass ?

I believe they have but can't say for sure. I know the OPP have stopped people for being on a closed trail. I don't know if they were charged. There is a multi-use trail I know of that is posted No snowmobiles between certain hours and the OPP have stopped people for that and charged them.

45 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I believe they have but can't say for sure. I know the OPP have stopped people for being on a closed trail. I don't know if they were charged. There is a multi-use trail I know of that is posted No snowmobiles between certain hours and the OPP have stopped people for that and charged them.

Too bad the OPP don't file reports in the media of the number to violators encountered and charged. This could possibly scare the abusers to the system to watch out. Maybe they do provide the info but media outlets don't care since we are a relatively small segment of the population.

47 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

Too bad the OPP don't file reports in the media of the number to violators encountered and charged. This could possibly scare the abusers to the system to watch out. Maybe they do provide the info but media outlets don't care since we are a relatively small segment of the population.

I know they keep all kinds of metrics. I suspect a call to your local OPP that patrol your trails could get the numbers and then post on social media for your club.

Archived