Snowmobile trip to the Districts 13,14 and 15

Greggie

I am looking at the map of Ontario for the snowmobile ride and I think that I have found a nice run out in the North in Districts 13-14 and 15. As starting point can be Timmins, Iroquois Falls, Cochrane, Abitibi Canyon, Smooth Rock Falls, Kapuskasing, Hearst, Hornepaye, Dubreuilville and stop at Luc Levesque, the Groomer Guy, Wawa, Halfway Heaven, Pineal Lake, Esmarald Lake, Foleyet, Old Mill Camp and back to Timmins. I know its a long trip, about 1300 km, but it will be a great experience I think.

I am coming from Ottawa, to Timmins it will be a 7-8 hour drive, sleep over and leave. I think that it will be a 5 day ride, average about 260 km. Not sure about accommodation and fuel but for sure you guys know this better, please advice....

greg

that will be a great ride,kap is nice to stay.dubreuilville has great place,gotta see hallway haven.make sure you have a tall windshield &/or hand muffs

Greg,

That is a great trip. Did it all last year, but in two different trips. First, a trip to the Canyon and across the Northern Corridor and back in February. C101D from Timmins to Chapleau didn't open until March last year, so made a second trip when it opened. It closed as we rode it to clockwise from Timmins to Halfway, but the trip was great. We stayed in Wawa then Hearst and back. Its all very doable, but don't rush past Hearst. Do as much as you can of the loop trails north of Hearst - most excellent trails. Fuel never a problem with a reasonable sleds. As White Dragon advised, make sure you have proper cold weather protection. The potential for extreme cold that time of year is about all that could ruin your plan. Enjoy!

Rick

If you're coming across 17 from Ottawa you could also consider starting your trip in Massey or Spanish or Elliott Lake.  Sled to Chapleau, then Cochrane via Foleyet/timmins, Abitibi loop to Smooth Rock, Hearst, then on to either LucVille or Wawa, through Halfway to Searchmont/Wharncliffe/Bruce Mills, and then back to the trucks along the north channel.  No maps in front of me right now so some of those distances may be too short or long depending on your routing.  We've enjoyed some marvellous trails around that area and places to stop for lunch.  (Important!) 

On 02/01/2017 at 7:07 PM, Greggie said:

The plan is to go the last week of January or the first week of February. 

Hi. I'm also in Ottawa and have been doing the northern loop almost every year since about 1998. I have electronic copies of trip plans which are 5 or 6 riding days, 1300 up to 1750 km trips, running 200 to 400km days, clock wise and counter, covering many of your desired stops. If you can PM me, so that I have your email, I can send you word copies to chose from. I can even give you fuel stops and times, including my Apex trips and now the Vector trips. Safe harbor statement is that you need to verify all places and gas stops are still open. It may take me a few days to get it all to you, just let me know if you are interested. So many great rides up there, but in order my favourites are: east side of canyon,  Hearst to Hornpayne, lastly, the trails north of Hearst. I have some helmet cam videos on YouTube of some of those trails (apexltx56)   (Do the L123 trail.) cheers

X2 on the L123

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 6:38 PM, Greggie said:

I am looking at the map of Ontario for the snowmobile ride and I think that I have found a nice run out in the North in Districts 13-14 and 15. As starting point can be Timmins, Iroquois Falls, Cochrane, Abitibi Canyon, Smooth Rock Falls, Kapuskasing, Hearst, Hornepaye, Dubreuilville and stop at Luc Levesque, the Groomer Guy, Wawa, Halfway Heaven, Pineal Lake, Esmarald Lake, Foleyet, Old Mill Camp and back to Timmins. I know its a long trip, about 1300 km, but it will be a great experience I think.

I am coming from Ottawa, to Timmins it will be a 7-8 hour drive, sleep over and leave. I think that it will be a 5 day ride, average about 260 km. Not sure about accommodation and fuel but for sure you guys know this better, please advice....

I was trying to figure out your nightly stops based on 260 km. per day but haven't been able to. Where were you thinking you would be staying the 5 nights? If you let us know, we can gladly recommend places to stay and eat. You will love this trip!

A lot of the trails up there are very quick and you can put a lot of kilometres in a short time. That being said, there are other areas that aren't nearly so fast like Wawa to 1/2 Way.

On 04/01/2017 at 7:52 AM, SlowTouringGuy said:

If you're coming across 17 from Ottawa you could also consider starting your trip in Massey or Spanish or Elliott Lake.  Sled to Chapleau, then Cochrane via Foleyet/timmins, Abitibi loop to Smooth Rock, Hearst, then on to either LucVille or Wawa, through Halfway to Searchmont/Wharncliffe/Bruce Mills, and then back to the trucks along the north channel.  

STG's suggestion has merit. A quick glance at Google Maps shows Ottawa to Elliot Lake as a  7 hour trip along 17. Dunlop Lake Lodge (Elliot Lake) is our preferred starting point for many trips from the GTA. The truck drive just seems shorter and you're basically in the middle of beautiful terrain from the get-go. Nothing wrong with Timmins, but you stay in a typical urban centre nights 'pre' and 'post', drive past subdivisions to leave town, follow a hydro line north, etc. Know the Timmins-Cochrane route pretty well. Once offloaded in Timmins at 5 pm and went north to Cochrane for rib dinner . Then back to Timmins to sleep. The ride north from Elliot Lake is just "aaaahhhhh". To each his own.

Have a great trip! Pulling out my Ontario map to greater assist you later. Appreciate all that you do for sledding, Greggie 

Archived