Stolen sled and trailer

dedge68

8 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Your first zinger for 2017?

Oh no. His first was when he looked in the mirror Sunday morning 

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I have heard of "horror" stories of Ontario riders in Quebec. Not sure how much is totally true but it does appear they have a bigger problem there than we do here. So many of the accommodations seem to emphasize that they have a staffed security compound or indoor storage to lock your sleds in overnight. I know there are places in northern Ontario with indoor storage but I get the sense that is more to keep it out of the elements and cold than it is for theft. I have heard of people traveling in Quebec that run a piece of fishing line from their sled, under the motel room door and tie it to their ankle or wrist.

I did see a group of 4 sleds at Deerhurst once that had all backed up into a clock pattern. 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 so the rear of their sleds were basically touching. They then ran a chain through them all.

I guess we are just lucky but 4 of us have done 4-7day saddlebag trips in Quebec 10 times over the last 22 years. Pretty much all areas of the province with the exception of north of Montreal. We have never had or seen anything stolen (with the exception of a set of muffs off a Rev at Adventure Joncas, middle of nowhere, go figure) be it sled /truck/trailer. We do cable our sleds together in groups of 2 much like Irreverent. We do that in Ontario as well. The thought is that if there is a sled thief around, he will likely go for the unchained sled around us (unless they are Cats). We make sure the trailer hitch and receiver pin are locked and on our first trip to Gaspe, leaving the truck in a parking lot in Bernieres we took an ignition breaker out of the fuse panel under the hood of the truck.

Most times we leave the keys with the desk wherever we leave the truck & trailer so that we don't loose them but also because many of the places we start/stop at have retired drivers that could bring your truck/trailer to you should need be.

Bought one of these today to go along with the couple pin hole lock as well.  image.jpg

image.jpg

35 minutes ago, shawnj said:

Bought one of these today to go along with the couple pin hole lock as well.  image.jpg

image.jpg

I've been using the same on all my trailers as well as the coupler latch lock. Keep lock deicer on hand and / or keep it covered to prevent the moving part and keyhole from freezing. I have a neoprene sleeve around mine and still carry deicer 

Was thinking the same thing.   A way to keep it covered and weather out. 

Not sure why two pics are there of same thing. Tried to delete but not sure how

Yamaha Fan had a good point, locks are a good deterrent, but if all they need is a pipe wrench to remove the ball from the tongue... An impact and an air pig might be faster than having a key to the lock.

Might have my welder pal zap the threads next time I'm by.

46 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

Yamaha Fan had a good point, locks are a good deterrent, but if all they need is a pipe wrench to remove the ball from the tongue... An impact and an air pig might be faster than having a key to the lock.

Might have my welder pal zap the threads next time I'm by.

Most trailer balls I've seen are rusted on so solid they will never come off no matter how big your wrench is

15 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I've been using the same on all my trailers as well as the coupler latch lock. Keep lock deicer on hand and / or keep it covered to prevent the moving part and keyhole from freezing. I have a neoprene sleeve around mine and still carry deicer 

I watched a Youtube video where a guy destroyed one with a crowbar in a several minutes. It will slow a thief down or move onto another trailer.

1 hour ago, grover_yyz said:

I watched a Youtube video where a guy destroyed one with a crowbar in a several minutes. It will slow a thief down or move onto another trailer.

What about the coupler itself. Did it not do that in as well? Either way I have 3 locks to immobilize the trailer and hopefully that's enough to get the crooks to target somebody else. Nothing is totally crook proof. If they want it bad enough they will get it. I watched one youtube where obviously the person used the wrong size of lock. Too small a ball for the coupler. They were able to wiggle the lock quite a bit with the coupler closed. When mine is in and closed there isn't any movement and there isn't a gap between the ball bulb on the coupler and the slide portion.

I tried this set up but the 2 coupler locks are useless in winter as any amount of snow/moisture freezes and requires de-icer every day to open..I have ordered locks that are weather sealed...hopefully they work better

71iMw7SXcxL._SX522_.jpg

4 hours ago, johnsazzr said:

I tried this set up but the 2 coupler locks are useless in winter as any amount of snow/moisture freezes and requires de-icer every day to open..I have ordered locks that are weather sealed...hopefully they work better

71iMw7SXcxL._SX522_.jpg

Yes those are a pain I had to hacksaw mine off.  Would not open at all.  I tried heat, penatrant, lock de ice. 

44 minutes ago, gobills said:

Yes those are a pain I had to hacksaw mine off.  Would not open at all.  I tried heat, penatrant, lock de ice. 

I've never had any seize up. Freeze up but not seize. I was concerned about the receiver pin seizing because of where it is but I only use it when towing and spray it with Fluid Film. Putting on and taking it off essentially every time I use it stops it from getting seized.. The rubber cap on the key hole protect it.

The locks for the coupler portion are covered with a neoprene sleeve. I got some neoprene about 16 inches long X 16 wide. I folded it over the top of the trailer tongue and coupler for fit. On the ball end I had my wife sew it shut. Across the open bottom we added Velcro. So now we had a pocket with the top edge being a fold and the one end being stitched shut. I wrap the coupler with the pocket, seal the bottom with the Velcro and the coupler is now protected. The fit is fairly snug so snow doesn't get to blow in. I jack the front of the trailer so the front is high enough that the slope of the tongue is away from the coupler so rain runs downhill toward the trailer rather than under the neoprene.

On January 3, 2017 at 8:10 PM, 02Sled said:

5 hours ago, gobills said:

I use the same setup on both trailers, yes it is a pita when they freeze up but my front hatch and man door on my trailer freeze up as well. ..I carry my little torch with me in the truck, couple seconds on the key hole and your in. I spray inside key hole and all Over lock with wd-40, seems to help a bit, but I still find myself running for the torch. 

thankfully I am getting a small fishing boat in the spring so I will be able to use that set up for the boat trailer

I goose all my locks with a squeeze tube of grease. Fill up the whole body from the top. Keys are sometimes a bit messy, but it cuts down on the swearing.

I also keep a torch in the door pocket. A tiny butane one I can warm up in my pocket. A propane torch is pretty much useless when It's cold enough out to freeze a lock.

Archived