Nice Places on the RAP

signfan

Bear's Den in Deep River is a good stop to stay, trail access right to the back of the motel, plus gas is just one parking lot over at the ESSO. They are very supportive of our local club, even with the change over of a new ownership this year!  Plus if you have time, there is some good local trails to ride.  If you are coming from west you could take club trail 131 into Deep River, if you don't want to travel the a-trail, its a little bit longer. It's one of my favorite trails. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

AFAIK, Mattawa, a 15k detour on the 112 is the only option.

If you go into Mattawa for fuel and you are going to Bonfield, you should continue north and west via A112A and BF201. Real nice trails that take you right to the Dinner Bell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If you go into Mattawa for fuel and you are going to Bonfield, you should continue north and west via A112A and BF201. Real nice trails that take you right to the Dinner Bell.

X2

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

X2

X3. As PLC and SJ mention, if you're on that side of the highway, might as well continue per PLC's route. Stop at the Mica Mine  ( bring flashlight). It will be on your right, heading west.

• 9 months later...

The 2018 season is soon here, and one of our trips again this winter is the RAP tour.

On the west side of the park, we've always stayed at Spring Lake Resort in Dwight (this year included), awesome place and host!  Would like to try somewhere new...any suggestions for other accommodations in this area?  On-site or very close restaurant necessary.

Suggestions?

http://www.edgewaterparklodge.com/?page_id=1735

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Blake G

4 hours ago, Blake G said:

x2 for edgewater we have stayed there a couple times and really enjoyed it, restaurant has great food, gas on site as well. 

10 hours ago, Blake G said:

Did they get wifi yet? Asked about this when they had a booth at the sled show as in previous times they did not or it was only available around the main building. Woman started arguing that people should just turn the things off for nature or some such stuff - I suggested a few good uses for connectivity while on a sledding trip and moved on. Not even sure that cell phone coverage is in the area.

Edited by slomo
  • Like 1

Good point, slomo. I asked them this morning:

2017-10-31 08.00.27.png

Edited by Blake G

Something like traveling around Lake Muskoka by boat a few years ago.... The cell phone had one bar, two bars, one bar, two bars. Suddenly it went to a solid fiver bars and stayed there. We figured we must be getting close to Ted Rogers cottage.

• Haha 1

It really is pretty disappointing in this day and age.  This is the exact information I was given about 5 or 6 years ago.  It really is not that expensive to upgrade the wireless to provide coverage and especially since the cell coverage is so poor, you would think that they would consider it almost mandatory.  They are not really that far removed from the population centers.

8 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

It really is pretty disappointing in this day and age.  This is the exact information I was given about 5 or 6 years ago.  It really is not that expensive to upgrade the wireless to provide coverage and especially since the cell coverage is so poor, you would think that they would consider it almost mandatory.  They are not really that far removed from the population centers.

It could be there is only so much band width available and that can't be upgraded. By having limited coverage on the grounds that is a way of imposing a degree of control over the amount of use. People will go to the main building for access if they really need it. Friends of ours own a campground near Waubaushene. Even there they can only get so much band width in from the road on the cable and according to the service provider they have the maximum that will be available for the foreseeable future,

The problem is that they get groups of kids going online to play video games, people streaming movies, some people conducting business from their campsite and much more. This eats up the band width quickly. On some occasions they have had credit card processing for customers paying time out and fail since the system was too busy with a dozen kids playing video games.

I was downloading printer drivers for them and based on the bytes per second it showed download time as about 2 hours. The PC was hard wired. We shut down the wireless and heard a bunch of upset kids but the download time was now under 2 minutes,

• Like 1

So....WAY back in this thread the Northridge, Sundridge/Lake Bernard has been mentioned more than once.  I've stayed there more than once.  Last year, around the first weekend in February, a group of us stayed there and, once again, I enjoyed their accommodations and their dining.  ok, the bar was pretty good too.  :-)

Sunday morning was to be the return trip to home.  One couple had an issue starting a sled.  An insane amount of time was devoted to trying to get this buggy going including hair dryers, boiling water, gas line additives, and holding various ignition parts between one's thighs.  Nothing.  Husband says to wife, "you stay, I'll ride home and get the truck/trailer and drive here to pick up the dead sled".  And off he goes with STK3.  Wife decides that by the time they sled home, husband hooks up and drives back it will be plenty late and not a great time to be trailering home so she asks the Northridge if she can keep the room for another night. Fortunately, it was a Sunday and not an issue. 

Husband finally shows up in the dark with truck and trailer. 

The Northridge owner sends a couple of staff out to help them hump this dead sled into an enclosed trailer. 

The Northridge owner lets them know that the kitchen/bar is closed but he would whip up something really simple if they wanted.  They ordered a couple of sandwiches and a rum and coke and the owner fixed them up.

Monday morning they checked out.  Husband asks the front desk, "how much to I owe you for last night?".  The reply was, "Nothing".  He says, "But, we had a room and had some food".  And she said, "The owner put last night on the house".  She said,

"He didn't want your memory of your weekend here to be spoiled by your snowmobile issues. He wanted you to have fond memories of your stay". 

I'll stay there again.  :-)  :-) 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, SlowTouringGuy said:

So....WAY back in this thread the Northridge, Sundridge/Lake Bernard has been mentioned more than once.  I've stayed there more than once.  Last year, around the first weekend in February, a group of us stayed there and, once again, I enjoyed their accommodations and their dining.  ok, the bar was pretty good too.  :-)

Sunday morning was to be the return trip to home.  One couple had an issue starting a sled.  An insane amount of time was devoted to trying to get this buggy going including hair dryers, boiling water, gas line additives, and holding various ignition parts between one's thighs.  Nothing.  Husband says to wife, "you stay, I'll ride home and get the truck/trailer and drive here to pick up the dead sled".  And off he goes with STK3.  Wife decides that by the time they sled home, husband hooks up and drives back it will be plenty late and not a great time to be trailering home so she asks the Northridge if she can keep the room for another night. Fortunately, it was a Sunday and not an issue. 

Husband finally shows up in the dark with truck and trailer. 

The Northridge owner sends a couple of staff out to help them hump this dead sled into an enclosed trailer. 

The Northridge owner lets them know that the kitchen/bar is closed but he would whip up something really simple if they wanted.  They ordered a couple of sandwiches and a rum and coke and the owner fixed them up.

Monday morning they checked out.  Husband asks the front desk, "how much to I owe you for last night?".  The reply was, "Nothing".  He says, "But, we had a room and had some food".  And she said, "The owner put last night on the house".  She said,

"He didn't want your memory of your weekend here to be spoiled by your snowmobile issues. He wanted you to have fond memories of your stay". 

I'll stay there again.  :-)  :-) 

What was wrong with the sled?

49 minutes ago, SlowTouringGuy said:

It was a Yamaha. 

We'll invite them back into our riding group when they get something that works.  

(that should stir things up)  :ph34r:

That's not nice!

The lake view motel in hailburton is a nice option when pinestone is full. Could 't get. Into pinestone on family day weekend, so we tried lake view. They have a goat trail access from the main trail that comes into head lake, which is better then running the road. Easy gas access down the side of the road to independent. Was snow on the side of the road that night. 

The rooms were really nice and staff was friendly. Was a very quite place to stay and sleep. Will return again. They do have some space for truck and trailer parking, but it isn't the easiest place to navigate, if you have a  rig and depending on how full top lot is. 

Edited by Viperules700

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked our upcoming Feb trip - similar to what we did last Feb.  

Last year we did the loop counter clockwise starting from Pinestone in Haliburton as home base (leaving the truck and trailer there).  Went to Barry's Bay staying at Pinewood Inn.  It was a nice place, and very friendly owners.  This year we are trying Ashgrove Inn for the simplicity of having a restaurant attached.  From there we went to Pine valley Resort in Stonecliffe and stayed in a very nice 3 bdrm cottage which included everything in the fridge for breakfast.  For dinner, the owners gave us a menu to order from and delivered the food to our door.  The next day we rode to Pinewood Clarion/Ramada in North Bay which was nice, especially the heated outdoor pool.  Then off to Edgewater park Lodge in Kearney for our last night.  We did some good road running between NB and Kearney (8 km if I recall correctly)  but  other than that, it was a great ride.   It was nice having gas and restaurant at Edgewater, but Kearney was a short ride away.  This year we are planning on doing some more feeder trails now that we have a better idea of timelines.

Cheers,

Wimpy 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Any opinions on Hidden Valley Resort in Huntsville?

On 2018-03-13 at 7:50 PM, Spanky said:

Any opinions on Hidden Valley Resort in Huntsville?

Always has been good, when lake is solid. Otherwise you have to run road which then I would prefer deerhurst, but since north trail is gone, south access has roads too. You can't win now. Hopefully this gets resolved in future. 

• 10 months later...

I thought I would fire this thread up for this year.   Just booked the Mattawa  Golf and Ski resort for a Fri and Sun  so will head east for an overnight stay  Sat  ????    Will be my daughters first ride this year, so  prob wont go to Pembroke since we would back track the same trail. We will just ride around and do some of the loops in the Deep River area I am thinking   How is the Bears Den for a Sat night stay  ?

11 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

We will just ride around and do some of the loops in the Deep River area I am thinking   How is the Bears Den for a Sat night stay  ?

Glad you brought this thread to life. Somehow missed STG's  Yamaha bashing :) but otherwise wonderful lodging  report.

The Deep River sub-trails are incredible. There's a paper map - limited to those trails. Make sure you procure one before venturing out up into  the hills. Trails are more like roads. Wonderful.

Bear's Den was awesome during prior RAP tours.

• Like 2