Nice Places on the RAP

signfan

10 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Nice way to do it end depends on route too. I could do one day faster without rushing if I used lake of bays to Dorset and then ice trails on other side of lake of bays. Saves an easy half a day on trip if ice is good. 

Ah, Lake of Bays, what a confusing lake to navigate. We use to go from Dorset to the Tally Ho outside of Huntsville many years ago and always had issues on which way to go. GPS now makes the route much easier. We don't go to Tally Ho anymore and go to the Comfort Inn in town.

2 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

Ah, Lake of Bays, what a confusing lake to navigate. We use to go from Dorset to the Tally Ho outside of Huntsville many years ago and always had issues on which way to go. GPS now makes the route much easier. We don't go to Tally Ho anymore and go to the Comfort Inn in town.

You ride fairy lake into town? Be careful on that one, has some weird currents. Never feels completely solid when I have gone across in past.  Warm winter I will pass riding it, it is a dangerous lake for most part. 

21 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

You ride fairy lake into town? Be careful on that one, has some weird currents. Never feels completely solid when I have gone across in past.  Warm winter I will pass riding it, it is a dangerous lake for most part. 

Thanks for the advice. We have not traveled that way for a few years now. We always look for lots of tracks when we do. The last trip we stayed at Edgewater resort. I don't remember how they got there as my sled crapped out 57km into our trip.

34 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

Thanks for the advice. We have not traveled that way for a few years now. We always look for lots of tracks when we do. The last trip we stayed at Edgewater resort. I don't remember how they got there as my sled crapped out 57km into our trip.

Old d101b is gone which really sucks. It was a nice wide fun trail to ride to kearny. When smooth and groomed well. I really try to avoid deerhurst since all trails within a 20 km raids of place get beat up real bad. Huntsville is not sled friendly either, which is really too bad. They could put a trail in from deerhurst over to comfort inn and gas station along highway 60, so we don’t have to ride fairy lake. Hailburton is much better at welcoming sledders and having access to down town and fuel. Launching out of hail and riding north east has been good to me last few winters. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/4/2017 at 7:42 AM, andreyboater said:

Hi signfan , We have RAP tour last year and I have detail map with gas, food and hotels. if you like PM to me and I can forward that files to you. I hope it helps

Just wondering if you’ve still got the info available? 
Interested in taking a look to plan for this winter.

thanks 

Do as little truck driving as possible. Look at the RAP. It's a circle - draw a straight line to your closest starting point and away you go. We start in West Toronto ( Etobicoke ).

We found that by starting in North Bay or Haliburton, it's efficient. Some folks will drive to Kearney, Barry's Bay, etc. bit I don't see the point ( you pass North Bay if heading to Kearney, etc ).

The only issue is that the trails have to be open ( good ) if you want to get to your southern starting point. Only once have we been euchered by rain in North Bay on our ' last day'. That sucked.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Canuck said:

Do as little truck driving as possible. Look at the RAP. It's a circle - draw a straight line to your closest starting point and away you go. We start in West Toronto ( Etobicoke ).

We found that by starting in North Bay or Haliburton, it's efficient. Some folks will drive to Kearney, Barry's Bay, etc. bit I don't see the point ( you pass North Bay if heading to Kearney, etc ).

The only issue is that the trails have to be open ( good ) if you want to get to your southern starting point. Only once have we been euchered by rain in North Bay on our ' last day'. That sucked.

Hailburton was a good starting point but pinestone is no longer sled friendly. No sponsor ship to club anymore and most likely won’t let you park truck and trailer for several days anymore either. Last time I was there was a few years ago and they gave me a parking pass for one night. Said they are limited how many they give out and it was mid week. Even  when I asked about it when i booked tone changes when you arrive and inquire again about pass. 
Maybe hailburton village with new washrooms might allow overnight parking in future I was told. Nothing official yet but it might be a possibility. 
Pembroke hotels are very friendly for trailer and truck parking, One of fee reasons I drive extra few hours to have a safe place to park during the week, while away without any hassles. 
north bay most hotels forget about it. Mattawa golf and ski and volais would be few exemptions. Even edge water is frowning on parking trucks and trailers when not staying there, unless you are a regular customer. At least you have rickwards Polaris and sometimes ball diamond is plowed out too. Really too bad info centre bans over night parking but it makes snow removal challenging. 
Not sure about deerhurst parking polices either. 

4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Hailburton was a good starting point but pinestone is no longer sled friendly. No sponsor ship to club anymore and most likely won’t let you park truck and trailer for several days anymore either. Last time I was there was a few years ago and they gave me a parking pass for one night. Said they are limited how many they give out and it was mid week. Even  when I asked about it when i booked tone changes when you arrive and inquire again about pass. 
Maybe hailburton village with new washrooms might allow overnight parking in future I was told. Nothing official yet but it might be a possibility. 
Pembroke hotels are very friendly for trailer and truck parking, One of fee reasons I drive extra few hours to have a safe place to park during the week, while away without any hassles. 
north bay most hotels forget about it. Mattawa golf and ski and volais would be few exemptions. Even edge water is frowning on parking trucks and trailers when not staying there, unless you are a regular customer. At least you have rickwards Polaris and sometimes ball diamond is plowed out too. Really too bad info centre bans over night parking but it makes snow removal challenging. 
Not sure about deerhurst parking polices either. 

Interesting, we've done 4 Rap tours with Dwight as a base and various trips from a North Bay base and never had a problem with parking the rig or with security. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Interesting, we've done 4 Rap tours with Dwight as a base and various trips from a North Bay base and never had a problem with parking the rig or with security. 

Where you park in north bay and how long ago? Since covid lots of places are frowning parking. Even home stead resort in Durham said parking for day was banned last year and only staying guests of resort can park vehicles or trailers last season. Use to be able to leave trailer and truck for a day no issue either. They told me it was a covid liability issue. Many places have followed suit. Something to clarify when making plans and see what policy’s are. 

We have parked at a couple of places in North Bay. Most recently would be the Airport Travelodge 3-4 times as well as Pinewood Park. Both those would have been pre-covid.

Never tried parking at Homestead as there is good parking available in Tiveotdale or Mount Forest and no need to drive further.

Could contact clubs in the area that you want start from and see if you can park at their clubhouse for a few days.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2016 at 9:48 PM, gobills said:

Agree with spectacle.  We have been there 5 times and it's always the same.  Sharon is a real ambassador for snowmobiling.  Her  husband was the orginal rap tour pilot.  Mattawa golf and ski is also a great spot.  North bay always stop in at churchills excellent food there.

Yep to the above.  

Spectacle is really nice.

Golf and ski is not as fancy but a great spot non the less.

Started and finished at spectacle, they let us leave vehicles