Deerhurst to Grandview.

GrizzlyGriff

My Mum just bought a condo at Grandview resort.  Does anyone know if trail 88 will still be accessible from the lower portion of d102b out of Deerhurst?  Or how does one get from Peninsula Lake over to Fairy lake when the ice is good? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

I always used deerhurst golf course to hop between the two lakes. I always rode from golf course over to the Canadian tire gas bar hugging highway 60 shore line approx 100 Meters away from shore. There was always tracks along this route, since it is regularly used to get fuel and to head to comfort inn.  Mind you every time I have been on this lake, the ice always felt real soft under snowmobile kind of like you are riding on marshmallows. I was told fairy has allot of funny strong currents. Maybe someone else like Nunz can chime in. 

9 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

I always used deerhurst golf course to hop between the two lakes. I always rode from golf course over to the Canadian tire gas bar hugging highway 60 shore line approx 100 Meters away from shore. There was always tracks along this route, since it is regularly used to get fuel and to head to comfort inn.  Mind you every time I have been on this lake, the ice always felt real soft under snowmobile kind of like you are riding on marshmallows. I was told fairy has allot of funny strong currents. Maybe someone else like Nunz can chime in. 

I'm sure Deerhurst appreciated you driving on their golf course. 

If you zoom in on the itg between Fairy and Penn you will see 77 come off Penn lake and meets D102b. Deerhurst has always had a trail through the golf course beside the canal over to Fairy lake. Its not showing that connector on the map but its always been there in years past. Deerhurst is snowmobile friendly and the main trail goes right through there golf course, staked and marked. 

Good point Steve. The trail through the course is well marked. We've been going up that way for decades and always appreciate the snowmobile friendly nature of Deerhurst Resort.

1 hour ago, Steve F6 said:

If you zoom in on the itg between Fairy and Penn you will see 77 come off Penn lake and meets D102b. Deerhurst has always had a trail through the golf course beside the canal over to Fairy lake. Its not showing that connector on the map but its always been there in years past. Deerhurst is snowmobile friendly and the main trail goes right through there golf course, staked and marked. 

X2, the trail is usually quite rough so don't expect much as far as smooth trail. I only can hope that they keep the trail open as in years past there have been a lot of sled tracks all over the golf course and I know they weren't happy about it a couple of years ago.

I see the 77 meets d102b, but I heard d102b was closing this season.  Maybe further North?

5 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

I see the 77 meets d102b, but I heard d102b was closing this season.  Maybe further North?

I believe it's totally closed from Deerhurst north.  Big suckage for the area.

Don't know what deerhurst or Grandview intend to do but the lakes are usually staked and I always took the canal trail when well travelled.  Not stopping to check the thickness though!

Here's the email response from ASC.

"The trail from Deerhurst to Williamsport is closed due to Landowner issues. We will have trail 78 and 79 available and will also sign Williamsport Rd. north from Harp Lake Rd. to trail 95-D102B junction. The part of D102B that went by the Dyer Memorial is also closed.

The OFSC Interactive Map will be updated soon to reflect the changes once we GPS the new trail location on Williamsport Rd.

Sorry for the inconvenience."

No mention of the canal trail between fairy and penn lake. Was it shown on the map in previous years?

1 hour ago, Steve F6 said:

Here's the email response from ASC.

"The trail from Deerhurst to Williamsport is closed due to Landowner issues. We will have trail 78 and 79 available and will also sign Williamsport Rd. north from Harp Lake Rd. to trail 95-D102B junction. The part of D102B that went by the Dyer Memorial is also closed.

The OFSC Interactive Map will be updated soon to reflect the changes once we GPS the new trail location on Williamsport Rd.

Sorry for the inconvenience."

No mention of the canal trail between fairy and penn lake. Was it shown on the map in previous years?

Never on the map   it's basically just sled tracks down the canal lol.  I wasn't down there last year so my memor is foggy.  You just run the canal but I recall a few land bypasses as you run through there.

wow,,, that will put a damper in deerhurst's sled business

6 hours ago, capster59 said:

wow,,, that will put a damper in deerhurst's sled business

Last couple times I was there 2 years ago, there was No sled business to speak of.  The pub was closed so we ate in the fancy restaurant in our bibs lol.  Not a sledders spot anymore.  

It's really too bad for any sledders on fairy lake and anyone who's staying in thr area.  Still lots of good options.  I tended to avoid that trail as best I could as it was always rough.

On 12/28/2016 at 1:13 PM, Canadoo said:

The trail is maintained and flaged off on their property ACROSS the golf course.

Holy jump to conclusions 

The trail is maintained and flaged off on their property ACROSS the golf course.

Holy jump to conclusions 

Yes it was 

Holy jump to conclusions 

Yes it was flagged heading north towards the air strip. 

The flags from Canal Rd. D102B heading towards Huntsville and Fairy Lake were to keep sleds off the golf course and that part of their property.

The proper way to get to Fairy Lake was to take trail 88 which is no more I would think. 

4 hours ago, Doogirl69 said:

Yes it was 

Yes it was flagged heading north towards the air strip. 

The flags from Canal Rd. D102B heading towards Huntsville and Fairy Lake were to keep sleds off the golf course and that part of their property.

The proper way to get to Fairy Lake was to take trail 88 which is no more I would think

On the bolded comment above, do we know this for sure??  I was under the impression that D102B will now be closed north of Deerhurst, (i.e. it would continue to exist thru the golf course and across Hwy. 60, but only as far north as the Deerhurst airstrip.)  So, I guess I was assuming that MSR 88 would still follow a stake-line east from town across Fairy Lake to Cookson Bay, then go north through Grandview and across Hwy. 60 at the Grandview traffic lights (as it has in previous years), then east to connect with D102B at the airstrip (again, as it has in recent years), thus forming a complete loop rather than having 88 dead-ending in town.

And as for the alternate way to access Fairy Lake which others have mentioned in this thread...yes, you can go west from D102B at Canal Road, along the south side of the golf course and onto the canal, but unless it's a really good winter (like 2014-105) with lots of consistently cold weather, that alternate route can be really iffy due to thin ice on the canal (caused by currents), especially where it meets the east end of the lake...there is often a substantial open water hole at that location.  So, unless you are certain the canal has safe ice, I would not recommend that route at all. 

To clarify here's the response from ASC about the section from deerhust up to 88 connecting the two lakes.

"The only trail connecting those 2 Lakes would be Trail 88. That Trail belongs to the Do-ya-Wanna Club in Huntsville" 

Tim

So i called deerhurst today and they said the section of trail D102b on their property that runs up to 88 will be open this year. On the Map it shows that section belonging to ASC. 

27 minutes ago, Steve F6 said:

To clarify here's the response from ASC about the section from deerhust up to 88 connecting the two lakes.

"The only trail connecting those 2 Lakes would be Trail 88. That Trail belongs to the Do-ya-Wanna Club in Huntsville" 

Tim

So i called deerhurst today and they said the section of trail D102b on their property that runs up to 88 will be open this year. On the Map it shows that section belonging to ASC. 

Thanks, Steve...that's what I was hoping would be the case...assuming we ever get safe ice and a stake line on Fairy Lake.

• 1 month later...

I noticed on the ITG yesterday that they eliminated the trail between Grandview and Deerhurst. Now 88 across Fairy lake ends at Swallowdale rd. south of the canal. Bit more road rash to deal with. Trails are eukered now but.......

5 hours ago, Steve F6 said:

I noticed on the ITG yesterday that they eliminated the trail between Grandview and Deerhurst. Now 88 across Fairy lake ends at Swallowdale rd. south of the canal. Bit more road rash to deal with. Trails are eukered now but.......

Wow...if this is any indication of their plans for next year, that sucks as Grandview is where we stay for our one weekend a year in Huntsville for the last 10 years. And this is because a family member is an owner there. That will mean unless the ice is good, we will have to trailer going forward.

Archived